C-link truck routing

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Just got the new C-Link installed. The instructions say that the routing is based on Class A trucking....? So what is Class A please?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Just got the new C-Link installed. The instructions say that the routing is based on Class A trucking....? So what is Class A please?

That would be tractor trailer but don't put your personal GPS or your Rand McNally in the closet...you're gonna need all three and then some.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it uses 13' 6" as a height, but don't count on that always being right either. Nothing is foolproof.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
im feeling such confidence in my new toy! Reckon I'll actually accept the next hazmat load into NYC I get. :(

I dont have a Rand. I thought having this thing would keep me from spending that 400 bucks. And even if I do have both... if there is a conflict how do I know which to believe?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a reference to the Rand McNally trucker's atlas not a gps unit.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
im feeling such confidence in my new toy! Reckon I'll actually accept the next hazmat load into NYC I get. :(

I dont have a Rand. I thought having this thing would keep me from spending that 400 bucks. And even if I do have both... if there is a conflict how do I know which to believe?

Oh no, I don't mean to steal any new found confidence you may have, I just would hate to see you depend solely on one thing that might let you down.

Now, when I said Rand McNally, I meant your good old-fashioned road atlas!

There's always going to be a difference in the information. The navigation feature on your new C-link is not always going to match the page by page directions that you get with the load. I don't know why these things have to sometimes complicate the simple but they do.

I can only tell you how we do it. We've always had a free standing GPS. It isn't one with so-called truck routing but we've become accustomed to double checking it against the page by page directions. Then we added this new c-link and if it's not a simple no brainer run then we'll compare both navs to the page by page and the map.

One of the things that we don't like about the nav feature on the clink is that it doesn't reroute fast enough. The Garmin reroutes quickly and when you're in a bind, that's what you need. Keep in mind this whole thing is new so hopefully it will just get better with time.

Again, I hope I haven't discouraged you, that wasn't my intent...just be careful with this new found thing!

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Ok thanks. Well the atlas has had a permanant home on my dash and always will. My main concern is actually the height thing. We already have a Garmin 4 wheeler, which I hate with a purple passion. Even if I wasnt in a truck the things that thing wants me to do are simply stupid sometimes.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
If the new Clink routing is anything like the old clink---you can keep it. For the vast majority of our trips we rely on the good ol rand-mcnally truckers atlas and our Garmin.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
If the new Clink routing is anything like the old clink---you can keep it. For the vast majority of our trips we rely on the good ol rand-mcnally truckers atlas and our Garmin.

The new clink has the page by page routing like the old one PLUS a "truck friendly" GPS. Soon, you won't have a choice.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
As we get new customers they will not come with local directions. The new QC loads these into the GPS under dispatch and then MOST of the time gives you the route to the customer.

As always a GPS is an aid and the route in not written in stone. Use every tool you have at your disposal to verify the route.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
We have the new C-link too and mostly like it. We have the Garmin the dash as well.

Note: you will need to delete all prior loads before the C-link will upload the directions for the current load. This is not in the instruction manual. We had to take our truck back in to get the QC reset and the guy working on it didn't even know.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We have the new C-link too and mostly like it. We have the Garmin the dash as well.

Note: you will need to delete all prior loads before the C-link will upload the directions for the current load. This is not in the instruction manual. We had to take our truck back in to get the QC reset and the guy working on it didn't even know.

Our Clink has the last 5 loads at least still on it,and it still gives the directions to the newest load without deleting the old ones.:confused:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have several loads also and we have had no problems at all. Very seldom do we delete old load information on the the new QC or the old QC.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Confirming you don't have to delete old load info. When the new load info comes in you will actually get a prompt in the nav window asking if you wish to load the PU and DEL info.

Now...something Ive noticed and I want to see if anyone else has this issue. Do you notice that searches for a POI tend to be fubar? Example: Ive searched for Pilots...according to the new C-Link GPS the one and only Pilot in the world is in Midland Tx. I think Flying J is the only POI I've searched that worked half way well but even it didn't turn up the one I knew was 7 miles away from me at the time.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not to sound like the "old timer" but I remember when the directions were provided by the customer. One of my favorites was: Take exit 123 go back across the expressway to the stop sign, turn right then go quite a ways.