Bypass Filter for CAT 3126

G

This topic has been touched on in past posts, but one of the big complaints about the CAT 3126 is that bad things seem to happen to it if it doesn't have VERY clean oil most of the time. It seems like a bypass filter would be an ideal way to address this problem. I know that there is only one company (that I'm aware of) that makes a bypass filter for the 3126 (http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/).

Other than the benefits of bypass filtration that apply to all engines, any thoughts on the benefits of a bypass setup on a 3126 in particular?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not a 3126 owner, but anything to help the engine keep clean internally is a good thing.

Just to throw in my opinion here is my experience

I have used different bypass filter systems for my diesel engine vehicles and there are a few differences in the manufacture of the filter system, overall they are pretty much the same. Unless you get into the ‘refinery’ oil cleaning systems, the differences are just cosmetic and all seem to hook up the same.

But with that said, normally anything with less than 5 micron filtration is good, 3 is even better in a bypass system. I have seen a 2 micron system before, but it seems to be overkill and at that size it actually starts removing additives from the oil.

The best bypass system I ever owned was a system made by Olberg (if I spelt that correctly?) and it is a cleanable disk filter that has as much surface area as a spin on or cartridge filter. I have had several of these and even replace the primary filter in one car with a small dual filter version of the Olberg filter. The oil did stay a lot cleaner and the car when I sold it had 475K without ever touching the engine. I went from 6K to 12K for an oil change on that car.

The one thing that is not a bypass oil filter it’s that toilet paper thing that is still sold on the market. There is no way a roll of toilet paper is manufactured for a consistency to become a filter. I have bought muscle cars with these things and I ripped them out as fast as I could.

I have to ask an additional question which may not apply to the 3126 engine, but should. I read many of the D unit drivers change their oil around 5K to 8K but has anyone actually tried to extend the oil change cycle by using good oil analysis to determine when the oil actually needs changing?

Just my 2¢

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I checked my oil by analasis at 6000 when I changed it and 8000, and then 10,000. All the reports were very good but I just could'nt press it past 10,000. Now I have it cheched every oil change at 10,000. It just seems like a mistake to push a 3126 any further.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a 3126 and change oil at around 12,000 to 14,000. This is with the aid of a generator. Oil tests at this stage seems to be ok according to Speedco. Milage on truck is almost 500,000. Just had overhead and dyno and everything checked out. Before I forget, we do use Lucas and I certainly think that helps.

Davekc
owner
21 years

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I have never used a bypass filter - but I can attest to the fact that adding a gallon of Lucas oil additive at each (10,000) oil and filter change will keep your Cat purring well past the 400K mark without a lube related breakdown. Been there, Done that - I believe in the stuff. I'd say it pays for itself.
- Scott

tazman

Expert Expediter
I spent a few years marketing lubricants ....prior to my present job..
I have been really impressed with the SpinnerII Oil Centrifuge and the the cleanable screen system that I think is the best unit for the buck.....
www.spinnerii.com

If you never saw this unit in operation.....check with guys at a truck stop...many have them and you don't know it.....

An oil centrifuge literally spins the soot and dirt out of the oil...without removing the properties that today's oils possess...
You only really buy a paper cup like sleeve that you replace when the cup is emptied...pretty cheap....
If you deploy the cleanable screen...it replaces your current spin-on filter ...you just dump it and wash it out....re-use....
You'll never buy another throwaway filter again.....

The cost will pay for itself in less that 2 years in most applications....

I also marketed what I consider to be the "very best" diesel engine oil available .....e-mail me if you want the company name.

"Oil never goes bad...the additive packages in the product loose their properties...or the dirt in the oil reduces the additives strength....."

Just offering my 2 cents worth...

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Opps I forgot about the Spinner2 system. I have heard good things about it, but I have yet to see one.

Do you use it in place of your primary filter?

The Refinery type filter system I mentioned also uses the spinning technology, but has a heater to heat the oil. I have seen them and seen them fail.

The spinning technology has been around for a long time and I know that they are used in the Navy.

I know that we don't get a lot over here in the states, but I think Land Rover in the rest of the world uses a replacable spinning oil filter on their diesels.

tazman

Expert Expediter
If you utilize the cleanable screen ...it WILL replace your spin-on filter.....the cartridge is built just like a spin-on...however it has an inner sleeve that can be removed for cleaning.....
If you just add the 960 unit....you will still have to buy spin-ons..

The filter is designed to remove the large particles that would come through the oil....the centrifuge does the rest....

Many bus companies ( inner-city and long distance ) use them....

I have a demo of a full cup of sludge spun-out from a Series 60 Detroit (they are the worst for soot)...it's a pretty telling story..

Frank

"The Beast in the East"

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
<how many use a bypass filter system on their 3126

We added the Filtration Solutions bypass filter to our CAT 3126 over 3 years ago. We also add 1/2 gal of Lucas on each oil change and also use 1 gallon of synthetic in the blend. So far at 415k, the engine still runs strong (for a CAT) with no smoke. I buy my filters by the case and change them at recommended intervals and push the oil changes to every 20k, even though the oil is still technically good.

We would not run a CAT without a bypass filter, and would seriously downgrade any used CAT purchase without a bypass filter.

Vernon in C2197

G

Vernon, I assume you are doing oil analysis. Are you? If so, how are the trends?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I just had an experience with mine where it began running like hell. Ran many tests and everyone said this thing was testing great. I finally noticed I had let my oil go to 10,000 and I never do that. I try as it gets older to hit 6000 to 8000. I have half a million on it.

Bottom line did the PM and BINGO, it is back to running like a new truck. It amazes me that that engine is so sensitive.

I do like your idea of some better or addtional filters.

Raceman
OTR O/O

G

So what are the thoughts on a centrifuge bypass filter as opposed to a fine filtration bypass filter?

Replacing a spin on filter once a month (or a bypass filtration element) is not a big deal to me.