buying your own Qualcomm

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've spent the last 45 minutes looking for a thread that discussed purchasing a Qualcomm along with links to the correct website etc. and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone remember that thread or have the information bookmarked? Thanks in advance for any leads on this.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo

Sorry, I can't help wth your search but I have a really dumb question, Why would you want to own it in the first place?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At $35 a week to the company that's $1820 a year. As I recall it cost about $2000 to own it plus monthly usage that would run about $10 a week on actual usage. Rather than put $20-25 a week profit into the company's pocket through the never ending rental of a paid for gizmo I might as well own my own gizmo and pay myself $20-25 a week "rent". In about 2 years it's paid for and the rest is left in my pocket.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I was looking over the Landstar website and there were a few QualCom units listed for sale in the BCO classified ads. IIRC, about $1000.00 was the asking price.

Rex

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I know You can usally find a used one from $500-$1000

alot of the landstar people put them on www.lcapp.com

if you buy one off there make sure to get the serial number off
the unit and call landstar to make sure its released by landstar
before you buy cause the o/o may have quit owing money

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
The company I'm lease to will put it in for nothing. AS well I don't have to pay to use it. If I quit then I pay to have it taken from truck.

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What company is it that doesn't charge a weekly fee for QC usage?

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

G

I started the purchasing Qualcomm equipment thread but I don't know what happened to it. I think the subject was "Purchasing Qualcomm Equipment." It would take about 2.5 years to recoup your investment if you bought new. If you bought used it could be a lot shorter. I think you (or anyone else thinking about it) should just make sure that the carrier is set up to have owners with their own QC equipment.

Watch out for the low tree limbs too.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Why don't you get a cell phone with NET capabilities, I,m with EGL and that is how we get our load info ( nextel GPS/net phones). Have used QC and don't see much diference. Plus it is easier to hide with a cell phone, just wrap in foil and throw in the cabinet, with QC they can track you all the time.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unfortunately the company requires the QC. I'd much prefer a GPS enabled cell phone or even just a cell phone with calling in. Much cheaper than the $35 a week the companies gig you for QC. That's why I'm considering buying my own. I'll have it paid for in about 2 yrs from not paying the company and after that it's more to my pocket.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

gandrew

Expert Expediter
sure sounds good, buying your own QC, but the units our company has put in my two trucks have both required new domes every few months. Seems that the spinning gizmo inside is prone to seizing up. Being a leased unit, they are replaced at no charge to me. If I owned it the cost would be huge. Factor THAT into your calculations.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, that's not used in any trucks I've ever seen.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a older version. I believe it is too dated for todays use.

Davekc

xkmail

Expert Expediter
I found out Con-Way will not let you bring in your own equipment, you HAVE to buy theirs. Which makes sense from their angle because they buy in bulk and get them cheap and rent them out and make more money on the backside over the years. Heck, I bet Qualcomm gives them away for free as long as you sign up for their service (over 20,000 truckers nationwide). But Nextel is entering in the market so i wouldn't be surprised if people start switching to them in the next year.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I found out Con-Way will not let you bring in your own
>equipment, you HAVE to buy theirs.

Actually there is a place in the Con-Way contract to choose yes or no to signage and also yes or no to QC.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
I think the problem is that Qualcomm has no competition? I've got some foil...but my math skills arent that great..anyone know anything about rockets?

dukesadog