Cargo Van Buying New Van

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not a clue! I'm guessing that now that we all have ABS braking systems that their applying a lot more braking to the rear to avoid the nose dive under heavy braking that we used to see years ago. And using the fronts less aggressively will prolong the life of the front end components. Meaning ball joints, idler arms, tie rod ends, ect.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many modern vehicles actually engage the rear brakes a fraction of a second before the front brakes for better stability. Hence rear brakes wear more.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard somewhere that diesel will be reformulated for even less sulfur in the coming years. That is bound to increase the cost of diesel fuel.

It's also becoming almost impossible to find pure diesel. Most of the diesel is being blended with biodiesel which hurts fuel economy and emissions control systems.

That's why I chose the 3.5 EcoBoost gas engine.

Sprint Hard

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I was in the exact same spot with the exact same dilemma a few months ago. I'm very glad that I went with the Ford Transit 350 Ext / gas. So far it has been great and the quick lane service that most ford dealers offer is amazing especially doing the work we are doing with the additional mileage.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I am 6 months in on my 2016 promaster gas...would stay away from diesel because of flywheel and the DEF. I am at 67k on mine and no real issues. My thought earlier this week about a strut issue was nothing at all. Had inspected and all is good, just need alignment due to a lot of NYC and Michigan potholes. My only concern is oem tires wear faster than I would expect but they do on the transits too. I am not a fan of the shorter wheelbase of the transit, and have found better weight utilization with front wheel drive of promaster.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
I have both transit and promaster , my son's run for us. The promaster is diesel gets 23,25 mpg keep in mind it is made by fiat. I am a Ford guy they just treat us right my transit is gas however I will buy diesel next just to see how it is. I love the eco boost technology but I can't see it lasting 250 k miles. Having said that my checkbook hopes our vans last a very long time.

Reactions: ntimevan

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am 6 months in on my 2016 promaster gas...would stay away from diesel because of flywheel and the DEF. I am at 67k on mine and no real issues. My thought earlier this week about a strut issue was nothing at all. Had inspected and all is good, just need alignment due to a lot of NYC and Michigan potholes. My only concern is oem tires wear faster than I would expect but they do on the transits too. I am not a fan of the shorter wheelbase of the transit, and have found better weight utilization with front wheel drive of promaster.
Needing an alignment at 67k is not normal. I have been with my Sprinter everywhere, including NYC numerous times and I haven't needed an alignment yet. 770k so far. Tires last 160k miles. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: scottm4211

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are your vans gas or diesel, what year are your vans and what reasons would you say via transit and not a promaster
All of 'em are gas. All of 'em are 2014. The very first one that I bought, I spent already over 14K in repairs. The other two, so far only plenty of light bulbs. But they're still young (speaking about mileage).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Needing an alignment at 67k is not normal.
No it isn't normal. My last Chevy needed new steer tires and an alignment at somewhere in the 60k range. It came from the factory out of spec.

The ProMaster is front wheel drive. I would estimate that close to 90% of the vehicle's total weight when empty is sitting on the front axle which could contribute to frequent alignments.

I have been with my Sprinter everywhere, including NYC numerous times and I haven't needed an alignment yet. 770k so far. Tires last 160k miles. Oh well.
I believe I had 3 alignments done on my last Chevy over the course of 820,000 miles, including the 60k alignment. I had all four shocks and front coil springs replaced and an alignment and again when replacing the lower ball joints, pitman arm and idler arm.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a side note . . . you guys know you can do your own alignments with a couple jackstands and string? Just as good as the computerized ones shops are too rushed to get it perfect most times. Free cept your time

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One last question on new van. Should I go with would floor from the van mfg or put one in later. Everything else is set upper and lower walls and since I do some hazmat that needs a bulkhead I ordered it form them.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One last question on new van. Should I go with would floor from the van mfg or put one in later. Everything else is set upper and lower walls and since I do some hazmat that needs a bulkhead I ordered it form them.
My PM came with the black pressed wood floor ... its been very good ... wear wise and to keep clean... but i mount my E-tracs on 2 x 8 s that are mounted to the sides along floor ....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We have 6 Promaster 3500 extended vans. The 2014 had to have a flex plate & radiator @ 235,000 miles but otherwise is still running well. It has had to have at least 10 headlight bulbs but I think that is primarily because the headlight bulbs are VERY difficult to change without touching them on something, probably contaminating the bulb, which causes premature failure. We have learned that taking the headlight assembly out increases bulb installation time to about 30 minutes but greatly improves bulb life because of a cleaner install.

All we have are gassers running 5w-20 Mobil-1, changing every 10,000 miles. We don't feel buying diesels pays off. Our Promasters have up to 250,000 miles and have had no other major problems. The 2014 model seems to have been more troublesome. Our 2015s and 2016s are doing well. We haven't had to replaces any brakes on any of them at all. Surprisingly, none have had any transmission issues, which we believed was the weak link of the drivetrain. Fortunately, this has not been the case.

You can expect up to 19 MPG if you hold it under 63 MPH, or 17 MPG if you run 70 MPH.

We put in polyurethane coated plywood floors with two rows of E-track running lengthwise mounted flush with the plywood surface. This setup works great in nearly every situation!

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wish to say thanks for all the info from everyone but I decided on the promaster 3500ext diesel. Just couldn't get over the Transits wheelbase and overhang. Now I won't see it for another 4 months since it will have to be built.