Cargo Van Buying New Van

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many modern vehicles actually engage the rear brakes a fraction of a second before the front brakes for better stability. Hence rear brakes wear more.
The Transits definitely engage the rear brakes before the front. The upside to that is, the front of the van will rarely dip on you when applying the brakes.

The OEM pads are also very soft. Aftermarket pads are much harder and will last longer. At least the rotors are thick enough to last through 2 or 3 sets of aftermarket pads.

There is also a TSB out on some of the Ford Transits concerning the "backwards" mounting problem of the caliper mounting brackets at the factory, with excessive brake wear being the result.

In addition, the stability control utilizes the rear brakes, so they're gonna wear faster.

Reactions: NorthernBill

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, was ready to pull the trigger on a new van, but have decided to wait. I looked at my revenue from last year and this year and I'm 7500 under last year at this time. Way to many vans in the system to justify the expense.
Guess, I'll go up in size of anything. Waiting to see if that will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: xiggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been considering the same for 10 years! HOS or electronic logging would make that happen fast, tho I'd try local first...