Cargo Van Buying New Van

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been looking at the three companies that produce Sprinter type vans and have reduced my choices to either Promaster 3500 EXT or Transit 3500 EXT. due to weight carrying capacity width between the wheel wells.
Each vehicle has their pluses and minuses, Pomaster, 13 foot for freight height going into the doors at 69 inches, that is the same as I have now with my 05 Sprinter. Better weight carrying at approx 4000lbs. Only negative I've found is I lose 1 foot of floor space 14 down to 13.

Transit pluses and minuses come down town these items. Floor length 14 foot same as I have now. I pick up one inch or more rear door height. Just over 54 inches between the wheel wells I gain a couple of inches. 3800 lbs weight carrying approx. 1300 pounds more then a Sprinter can haul. Now the biggest issue is the apron. 6 foot rear axle overhang and the problems that would cause with any heavy pallet.

The above info tilts me toward the Promaster.

Gas or diesel is the next question that I'd like some input from the group on EO, need the good and bad of both types of fuel.

Gas I know gets less MPG the Diesel, I just don't know how big a difference that is since I've not been able to get drivers on the road to give honest answers. Some drivers say for gas between 16 and 18 and others say 20 to 22. Diesel Transits and Promasters I've not seen while on the road and can only look on the internet for info, which is hard to find because not many expeditors are posting info. There's been a couple here.

I'll be driving approx. 60 to 70 thousand miles a year for the next couple of years

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The promaster diesel also offers the automated clutch in the manual transmission. That is often overlooked but should lead to a long life. There's a promaster forum with most diesel owners averaging low to mid 20's and some reports of the usual def nonsense.

Last edited:

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't let the overhang on the Transit worry you. I don't have any problems with heavy loads.

It is also an advantage when parking, if you back into a spot along a curb the overhang can stick out over the grass and the rest of the Transit can fit in a regular size parking space.

Ford's 3.5 ecoboost engine can't be beat, unbelievable torque and power and good fuel economy. It's also the most widely used engine available when comparing it to the other options.

The Transit also rides and handles much better than the Promaster, an important consideration when driving 60,000 to 70,000 miles a year.

The Promaster is cheaper than the Transit but averaged over the 500,000 + mile life of the vehicle it's inconsequential.

d24cb08b00cb46fdf75e13b6756cdb1e.jpg

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Our Transit is a T250, gasser....$39 The Works oil change or $29 for just oil change a most Ford dealerships & really like the Quicklane Service.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try and research some more threads...the way I check is simply Google for example "ford transit problems" the Dodge diesel version has a well known and expensive to fix flywheel problem that can happen at low mileage...im looking at transit and promaster for wheelchair access van...DPF and DEF write off both diesels for me, if you only keep it for a couple years tho I'd buy the cheapest gasoline version of either and roll the dice

Diesel savings short term don't exist because of the price difference at the pump IMHO and no worries about expensive weird emissions parts

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transit pluses and minuses come down town these items. Floor length 14 foot same as I have now. I pick up one inch or more rear door height. Just over 54 inches between the wheel wells I gain a couple of inches. 3800 lbs weight carrying approx. 1300 pounds more then a Sprinter can haul. Now the biggest issue is the apron. 6 foot rear axle overhang and the problems that would cause with any heavy load

The rear overhang bothered me too. I like to load right on the rear so that I preserve my living space. Found this airbag kit, didn't pay the price in the picture. Got the airbag kit for $250 and the onboard compressor for $100. Install took 3 hours, in my driveway, by myself and using only hand tools.

I can now set a 2,000# skid right on the very rear and pump up the airbags to original stock ride height. I just know the bumper height when empty and raise the bumper height back to that height after loading. Most weight I've carried is 2,500# on 2 pallets. Was easily able to get rear end up to original empty ride height.

Plus, with this kit, your van never looks overloaded or overweight to onlookers.

The 3.5 Ecoboost will carry the max weight up any incline you could find and never drop any speed. But the fuel mileage does suffer on very windy days. The weight doesn't seem to affect the fuel mileage at all, just the head winds.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1460397899.301428.jpg

Reactions: Unclebob and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The rear overhang still bothers me. Initially my concern was loading and weight distribution. But, like Bob and Bill, weight on the rear hasn't been a problem. I find that in crosswinds I get blown around. I attribute some of this to the short wheelbase and long overhang. A rear anti-sway bar and/or Airtabs might reduce this some.

Ford Transit USA Forum

Reactions: Unclebob

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, as of right now I have been approved for the Promaster. Now to work on price for what I want. looks like 40 to 42K out the door. minus down payment. Hope to have 600 or less for payments, all depends on how much I decide to put down. It also looks like I'll have to wait 4 months for delivery, which is fine, more time to work, more money too put down on vehicle.

I'll be going with he diesel, just like the MPG's they get. 22 to 25 to gas 14 to 17 over the long run better deal.Plus the fact that I get anywhere between 20 and 50 cents a gallon off the pump price at the truck stops.

Now if anyone has good reasons to buy gas or diesel, other then DEF fell free to school me on why I should change to s gas engine. I have a couple of weeks before I get back to Texas for PT in the pool on W/F for the month. If I order it will be in the first week of May.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there much weight difference between gas and diesel ?
Of course, you've gained 50 lbs cargo capacity this year. Congrats on that.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I own 3 ProMasters and I can recommend you from the bottom of my heart: GET A TRANSIT!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're good with the flywheel defects, it's a good van. Mind explaining the 20-50 cents off the pump price? Is that a carrier perk?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're good with the flywheel defects, it's a good van. Mind explaining the 20-50 cents off the pump price? Is that a carrier perk?
Most carriers get a discount on diesel fuel for getting their trucks to fuel at the truck stop, this started for the big trucks but has trickled down to the diesel vans.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most carriers get a discount on diesel fuel for getting their trucks to fuel at the truck stop, this started for the big trucks but has trickled down to the diesel vans.
Right. I think he's with Landstar. They get a great discount.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks I get zero ( unless you call cash price for credit a discount) just making sure I wasn't missing anything, haven't used diesel or gas since 2012

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I own 3 ProMasters and I can recommend you from the bottom of my heart: GET A TRANSIT!
did you see that guys repair bill he posted after only 120,000 miles?....Rear brakes already, flimsy door hingles....I'd hold up on them too....the flaws are starting to show on both new enteries now....

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Posting my data sheets at 20K and at 75K for my Transit. Rear brakes are definitely wearing quicker then the fronts. I'll most likely do rear brakes around 100K to avoid the costs of new rotors. But I'll do them in my own driveway for the cost of the pads. Had inspection done yesterday, only concern from the dealer was tires getting low, already bought a set of 4 OEM take offs for $100.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1460824986.274443.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1460825012.453949.jpg

Reactions: NorthernBill