busness plan questions from an experienced newbie

hertfordnc

Seasoned Expediter
-- experienced newbie; I'm 53, i've had a several careers, lots of experiece in travel, machines, customer service, marketing, roadside repair etc. even a little bit of trucking.

So, i can retire in a couple years and I'm thinking about a second career on the road. Expedited freight appeals to me becasue i thrive on change and i have a high tolerance for chaos

But in all my reading I can't seem to turn the data into a clear business plan with targeted annual income.

I have two lttle boys I want to spend more time with. My pension will provide a bit of money, health care and capital to start a business.

i read the thread about doing this part time and I am asking a variation on the same question. i want to work hard during busy seasons and take lots of time off at other times.

Here's the hard question- how much money are people making? I can pay cash for a truck (Sprinter?) I live near norfolk and would like to work the east coast, boston to Orlando. I need to replace about $40K per year

if not expediting then maybe a F350 and a car trailer?

Lots of snowbirds hauling stuff in the spring anf fall.

Thanks

Dave

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Needing to net 40 and take a lot of time off while driving a sprinter? In all honesty probably best to look for another line of work. Anything is possible but I will say the odds are against reaching your goal.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

hertfordnc

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, your answer spawns more questions.
If not $40K then how much? or, rather what is a reasonable target for an O/O working hard and fulltime ?

If not a Sprinter then what?

What about HAZMAT? I see lots of sites promising NO HAZMAT so i figure it must add value. I am pretty comfortable with toxic stuff and I am retiring from the federal govt so piles of regulatory BS don't scare me.

What about geography? I see lots of stuff from the midwest but i assume there must be some demand on the I95 corridor, but i'm not seeing it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anytime you place limits on yourself in expedite your limiting your income potential. Example taking plenty of time off, only running the east coast.

Hazmat can help with some companies others just don't deal with it in vans. As soon as you place placarded hm on your van your entering the log book world.

East can be good from the Carolinas north. Stuff goes into Florida but getting loads out is much harder.

hertfordnc

Seasoned Expediter
> limiting your income

Yeah, i'm just trying to figure out what the income potential is, from which i am limiting myself. Of course I would not say 'no' to jobs in the midwest but I would want to avoid three-week midwest loops if i can.

I see people in the forums stressing about lack of work during summer plant shutdowns and the holidays. if i could reach my target income the rest of the year i would welcome those lulls.

Carolinas North would be about perfect. I live in NC and the Northeast is Home. Dead-heading back from Florida would not be so bad everyo once in a while.

TonyD

Active Expediter
We are in gainesvile and can tell you not much leaves Florida. Look at insurance rates. We just got a 62% increase. Only because we are based in Florida.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have two lttle boys I want to spend more time with.

To make good and steady income, you will have to be out on the road months at a time. Any expenses relating to going home and take time off with your family will work against your income.

Expediting is a business and not meant to be a part time job. Each day you are not moving, the cost racks up.

Back to above quote, sorry to say, I would not recommend this type of work.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Part - Time ........ Wishing to take a Time Off here and there .........Needing to replace $40K .....

Will never happen in a Sprinter or CV. Not at the Rates these Guys haul for........

Almost bet that 8-9 out of 10 of these CV and Sprinter Drivers that run FULL TIME - 24 / 7 / 52 aren't Netting anywhere near $40K a year.

Good Luck............

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have two lttle boys I want to spend more time with. My pension will provide a bit of money, health care and capital to start a business.

Kids need full time parents. Boys especially need a full time good dad if they are going to grow up to be men and not just males. Figure out a business you can do from home or at least working around home so you are home 365 not 50-75. You'll never get that time back and you won't make nearly enough in a van, probably not even in a truck unless you are gone far too much.

hertfordnc

Seasoned Expediter
I'm spotting a theme here.

It's funny, in the early days of uship I was clearing a $1000 in a weekend with a conversion van and a tow dolly. I didn't understand just how illegal it was.

I figured a properly funded legal rig could do pretty well. But htese are tough times.

THanks for the input. I'll keep researching.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Lol! A furniture salesman being qualified to spout off on the merits or lack thereof of becoming an expediter is about like a community organizer being qualified to be president!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol! A furniture salesman being qualified to spout off on the merits or lack thereof of becoming an expediter is about like a community organizer being qualified to be president!

Pay no attention to the man behind the divider.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

OFF TOPIC and unapproved content removed....Ken aka OVM

OK...........We'll stay ON TOPIC..........

My OPINION below, just as MY OPINION above, is coming from reading this board daily, reading other Trucking Boards, keeping up with current trends, FMSCA rules and regulations, and Trucking as a whole, along with years and years, and miles and miles behind the wheel of a Truck myself. (probably more experience than 70-80% of these "CONTRACT DRIVERS" around here)

Hertford............You'd be a FOOL to get into Expediting right now.........ESPECIALLY in a Cargo Van or Sprinter. They are running for Pennies above what they were running for a decade ago, but paying 300-400% MORE for fuel, maintenance, and equipment than they were a decade ago. And, on top of that, the abundance of Freight available is way way below the Availability Rate/Quota as it was just 3-4 years ago............

As a matter of Fact...........Anyone Getting into ANY type of TRUCKING right now would be a FOOL....Period. The $$$$$ is just NOT there anymore.

So.....Excuse me for "Bettering" myself AWAY from Trucking for now.........I can't help it..........

I'm kinda starting to Like putting 5 Figures in my Bank Account EVERY MONTH again selling USED Furniture. I enjoyed doing it behind the wheel of a Truck Years ago too...........and if anyone here tells you that they are putting $10,000-$15,000-$20,000 a Month in their Bank Account Every month behind the wheel of their Truck.....then they are FOS.............Period.

Don't believe me.........Read through the General Expeditor Forum Topics just over the last Month or 2........there's a few threads.....and 2 Real Good ones started by WELL EXPERIENCED Expeditors covering how dismal this INDUSTRY is today..........

Again............Good Luck.

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Find a company with lots of local/regional.freight that pays straight percentage not by the mile. Being a parent of young children and expediting can be tough to balance but can be done IF you find the right carrier. Look into a CDL cheater truck, stay away from vans...tough on sprinters this time of year. Non cdl straight would be the way to go.IMHO.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
you might consider becoming a broker the 75k bond is cheaper than insuring even 1 cargo van. depending on your credit score. jw surety bonds can hook you up. Expediting has done nothing but go down hill over the last 2 decades. I wouldn't rush out and finance anything if your gonna sit behind the wheel do it in something you paid cash for.

rkb

Rookie Expediter
Hey Guys;
Just finishing my first 6 weeks driving with a co-driver; DD 13 Columbia with a 22' box. Buying a new 2013 Sprinter/Freightliner this week while at home; 2500 170" EXT 8550 GVWR and placing it in service with my present Company. They have given me a quote cents per mile and FSC. Everyone please reply with where the range or market is on these two critical amounts. Looking to hit it hard at 500 miles per day (average). Thanks to all.

First post

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hey Guys;
Just finishing my first 6 weeks driving with a co-driver; DD 13 Columbia with a 22' box. Buying a new 2013 Sprinter/Freightliner this week while at home; 2500 170" EXT 8550 GVWR and placing it in service with my present Company. They have given me a quote cents per mile and FSC. Everyone please reply with where the range or market is on these two critical amounts. Looking to hit it hard at 500 miles per day (average). Thanks to all.

First post

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Welcome aboard. Don't know who you drive for, so I couldn't say 500 a day is average or not.
I can tell you, don't use the numbers or miles from a straight truck and think the van will perform in similar fashion.
You may be disappointed if by chance that is the assumption. You may want to wait a bit with a van.
Why? Because you are in November which will be a shorter working month because of Thanksgiving. Same will apply in December followed by January and Febuary which historically are a slow crawl in a van.
As for the van rate, better off telling folks what it is and the carrier rather than everyone guessing. You want to know that number before buying anything unless you have winning Vegas money you want to waste.

Last edited: