busness plan questions from an experienced newbie

rkb

Rookie Expediter
Hey. Thanks for that. .87/mile and a FSC that "will put the total over a dollar"

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Who is the carrier? May be of value to you to hear how busy others are at that carrier through those periods.

rkb

Rookie Expediter
That is a median from Landstar, Express One, Panther and V3; both straight mileage and percentage. But general observations across trucking are alarming. Professional (drivers) usually means pay/wages. Why do you guys continually do the heavy lifting on the front lines for such dismal compensation. I can't make the numbers work. I won't be buying a road tractor and driving or a Sprinter and driving. Nor will I be trying to build even a modest fleet where some profit is possible only with a willingness to put up with neverending people problems. Organise. Return to the 1930's; shut the commerce of this Country down along with the Corporate pay masters, bring them back to a dusty bargaining table and return to a living wage, mileage or hourly and benefits. This is shameful; for management and the idle on lookers who allow it to happen. Even fast food and Wal Mart are beginning to grumble. Professional ? Think again.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's good when they figure there's not enough money earned before they spend the money to buy rolling stock.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a median from Landstar, Express One, Panther and V3; both straight mileage and percentage. But general observations across trucking are alarming. Professional (drivers) usually means pay/wages. Why do you guys continually do the heavy lifting on the front lines for such dismal compensation. I can't make the numbers work. I won't be buying a road tractor and driving or a Sprinter and driving. Nor will I be trying to build even a modest fleet where some profit is possible only with a willingness to put up with neverending people problems. Organise. Return to the 1930's; shut the commerce of this Country down along with the Corporate pay masters, bring them back to a dusty bargaining table and return to a living wage, mileage or hourly and benefits. This is shameful; for management and the idle on lookers who allow it to happen. Even fast food and Wal Mart are beginning to grumble. Professional ? Think again.

That is why I answered your post. Just for you to avoid that pitfall. If one is going to make that investment, they better know what they are doing. I wouldn't recommend anyone new buy a truck as the margins are tight an require a good amount of capital.
That would mean at least driving a full year through the busy and slow season.
You would be better served to drive for someone first and see if you can make those numbers work. For every ten trucks out there, I can show you better than half that are way undercapitalized.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Among many other things you should do, you should go to the OOIDA website and download the free spreadsheet. When filling it in you should estimate your expenses at least 15% higher than you actually expect and your revenue at least 15% lower than you expect. If you can make it based on those numbers then continue to study and explore.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm confused or am I missing something. In one day you went from going home and buying a sprinter to deciding there is no money in it?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm confused or am I missing something. In one day you went from going home and buying a sprinter to deciding there is no money in it?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

He ran the numbers through a calculator. It can be the easiest thing. :cool:

rkb

Rookie Expediter
No, you're confused and most definitely missing something; I've read some of your other blogs. But, that is just about the size of it; I mean all of these people can't be wrong...right ? There's money here, right ? What other industry would you expect an individual to show up with his own piece of equipment, bust *** and drive enough to generate appx. $75,000 gross and then allow the Company he serves and represents to whittle it away ?
$35/wk for a QC. Call me on the GD phone ! Bunch of limp dicks. No one's going to bite on the need to unionize ? Afraid your Company will burn Jimmy Hoffa in effigy on your lawn ?

rkb

Rookie Expediter
Every able bodied driver behind the wheel of a road tractor should, by executive order be made to receive 65 cents per mile. Call it infrastructure...call it homeland security...call it almost fair compensation.