Brokers

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
also if I were a shipper and seen my shipment was handed off 4 times...I paid way too much as 3 other people are making a living just on the handoff....

Shippers don't have time to watch how many times a shipment is posted. They just want to get the load covered and move on to other things.

Reactions: Treadmill

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I forgot to mention that Active will call carriers directly if their customer needs the load picked up ASAP, or if they're having a hard time covering the load. In this instance, the load is basically yours, but you still have to name your price (or the Active customer service rep will tell you what kind of price you need to get the load). Then they enter the bid into the system and ask you to confirm the award once it comes through. So, I was wrong, you can still get direct customer calls from Active. But it's not based on your companies reputation, it's because you're the only one with a truck posted in the area. Active uses Sylectus to look for posted trucks. Active actually started out as the only 3PL that had an extensive network of air-charter companies working under them. You make one phone call and they can tell you where every charter plane is in the entire country; and they have access to trucks to bring the freight to the plane, and then pick the freight up from the plane and deliver it to it's final destination.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
trust when they ask who i am picking up for....my best response is.."who do I need to be?"

wish more would go the Whirlpool and JD way....we'd get rid of a few of these fly by night rip off brokerages...we NEED to get closer to the money!!

If I ever drive for CRE, or any carrier that is fed a lot of loads from different broker/carriers, I'm going to buy work shirts with that carriers name on it and my own name, maybe even different hats. I will go in to the shipper dressed up like the driver for the original broker/carrier on the load. I bet that would be cool. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 Dry Runs (canceled loads) last year over 124,000 plus paid miles and 1 so far this year ... Does not concern me with worries when i am dispatched on a load ...... and to clarifiy another thing .... Road Runnner Transportation .... Owns Active Aero (active on demand) and Road Runner Expedite .... How the Loads arrive into my Vans qualcoms doesn't matter to me ...:D

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Active Aero is not a broker. It's a 3PL provider. Also, they don't just give those loads to RR. RR has to bid on those loads just like everyone else does. If they are not the cheapest bid, they don't get the load. On the Active system, the person posting the load can't see what company is bidding on the load. There are no preferred carriers on there. There are some carriers that are allowed to see more customers/more loads being posted, but there is no favoritism. The loads aren't automatically awarded based on percentages like they are on NLM. The shipper awards the load based on three things. 1. The performance rating of the carrier (red light, yellow light, and green light carriers)! You can figure out what red and yellow light carriers on time ratings are. 2. Based on the location of the truck. 3. Based on the price. If RR automatically got all of the loads posted on Active, Nitimevan would never have to cross his fingers about a load cancelling. He never sees most of the loads that are lost to other carriers, because they seem to only call him/send him loads once they actually have them secured. Smaller carries have not been locked out of Active Aero. Bigger companies and 3PL's rely on smaller carrier networks to help the provide coverage to their customers. The smaller carriers are just as important in this process as the bigger ones. You're all doom and gloom these days. :-(

But Roadrunner can see what all other carriers are bidding so they are not blind bidding like other carriers and then they have the right to match so if they RR isnt the lowest bid but has a truck near that area they can take the load away from carrier X and give it to there truck. They also have the ability to fudge their carrier rating since they own it all.