Brokers

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Shippers use brokers because they don't want to be hassled with setting up shipments. They just want to make a phone call and have someone else find a truck and manage the load. That is what the brokers get paid to do. They have to answer the phone 24/7. Some brokers don't even have a life. You might spend several hours brokering a load, monitoring the truck, and doing paperwork. It might just take 15 minutes to book the load, but that is only one of many parts that the broker has to deal with. Most drivers hate paperwork. They just want to drive. I had to pull teeth to get POD's from some of my drivers. How would they handle an Uber type system? Will they pick up on time knowing no one is watching them? It would be a very chaotic situation.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're right on every point...for now . . . that's what business is, problem-solving for a price . . whoever figures this one out, and they will, will become rich by replacing the brokers and giving a better deal to drivers and shippers both.

I also agree that shippers are not ready for it yet.

Our McDonald's here are slowly moving to self serve touchscreens...

Edit: I may be working with a more progressive carrier than most. Shippers can order online and it's sent to the drivers app, which has all the location tracking and signature/pod. Dispatchers are still in the mix for those that phone and to handle the unexpected

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I used to think
You're right on every point...for now . . . that's what business is, problem-solving for a price . . whoever figures this one out, and they will, will become rich by replacing the brokers and giving a better deal to drivers and shippers both.

I also agree that shippers are not ready for it yet.

Our McDonald's here are slowly moving to self serve touchscreens...
I used to think it was a good idea, but it really isn't. That is why it hasn't happened yet. The industry is too heavily regulated for it to happen.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, I've never been a Dispatcher or broker, I may be talking out of my nether regions. . . at least the future won't be boring!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I prefer to be the driver myself lol. I hope to eventually drive again. The dispatching will age you like the president.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think this boon doggle of brokers is why more big shippers have gone the preferred carrier route....like Active Arrow aka Roadrunner.....that they are only allowed to broker a low % of the volume before being in contract violation....
John Deere and now GM....at E-1 it was Whirlpool and Pepsico....

customers want to know where there product is without waiting for 4 different brokers to respond...they also don't like dealing with 150 different carriers....where's my shipment and who's truck it on...2 phone calls at most...

if this trend continues it too is going to change the game for smaller carriers....they will be locked out...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think this boon doggle of brokers is why more big shippers have gone the preferred carrier route....like Active Arrow aka Roadrunner.....that they are only allowed to broker a low % of the volume before being in contract violation....

customers want to know where there product is without waiting for 4 different brokers to respond...they also don't like dealing with 150 different carriers....where's my shipment and who's truck it on...2 phone calls at most...

if this trend continues it too is going to change the game for smaller carriers....they will be locked out...
With today's technology and after the truck is loaded why are customers even calling for status of the freight? One click of the mouse should show them real time tracking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With today's technology and after the truck is loaded why are customers even calling for status of the freight? One click of the mouse should show them real time tracking.
because not everyone is on the same system...and there seems to be not so trained people in the different formats....they get these so called "load planners" and "load baby sitters" right out of school....its a real mess....
Low price can also mean low tech....not always but it happens....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
also if I were a shipper and seen my shipment was handed off 4 times...I paid way too much as 3 other people are making a living just on the handoff....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
also if I were a shipper and seen my shipment was handed off 4 times...I paid way too much as 3 other people are making a living just on the handoff....
That's where you come in and educate the shippers.. They ask why aren't you with XxX carrier and you tell em there is know way of telling how many times their freight was sold. After they agree, then pump em for how much they pay and watch their eyes roll in disgust after you tell em your cut. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's where you come in and educate the shippers.. They ask why aren't you with XxX carrier and you tell em there is know way of telling how many times their freight was sold. After they agree, then pump em for how much they pay and watch their eyes roll in disgust after you tell em your cut. :D
trust when they ask who i am picking up for....my best response is.."who do I need to be?"

wish more would go the Whirlpool and JD way....we'd get rid of a few of these fly by night rip off brokerages...we NEED to get closer to the money!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so the shipper guy he calls his local guy transportation and takes his cut...who hands it off to a 3pl....who takes their cut, who sells it to a carrier that takes a cut and they resell it and takes a cut, to my carrier who takes their cut....Gee Whiz....what a system...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
because not everyone is on the same system...and there seems to be not so trained people in the different formats....they get these so called "load planners" and "load baby sitters" right out of school....its a real mess....
Low price can also mean low tech....not always but it happens....
You know I havnt really paid a lot of attention to how often they turn over bodies in the office, i sure their is some. Ya would think that if your career involved moving freight this would have been taught in 101 class on how to track it. Some of this would fall on the backs of our own carriers here that are using trucks that are not on the same page as the rest of them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know I havnt really paid a lot of attention to how often they turn over bodies in the office, i sure their is some. Ya would think that if your career involved moving freight this would have been taught in 101 class on how to track it. Some of this would fall on the backs of our own carriers here that are using trucks that are not on the same page as the rest of them.
the Macro Point program seems to be a popular system for us smaller carriers as it is more affordable and the Sylectus carriers some of thier staff just are not adequately trained in it....its very simple...1 email automated an hr with a last location....either that or they are just too lazy and they call me at 3am....Location Check Please....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so the shipper guy he calls his local guy transportation and takes his cut...who hands it off to a 3pl....who takes their cut, who sells it to a carrier that takes a cut and they resell it and takes a cut, to my carrier who takes their cut....Gee Whiz....what a system...
and some say the insurance game is rigged and the downfall of this business..they should look internally at the whole system....its rigged!!

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not so much so with bigger players like GM, Ford, etc but sometimes with critical shipments in other segments you run across a shipper and receiver fed up with the nonsense that passes off as a broker or 3PL managing their trucks. People playing games unwilling to foster relationships with good carriers at fair for both parties rates.

The complaints are always the same, lots of late, no-show trucks, and shoddy questionable equipment. When you show up with good equipment on time they act surprised. It's not uncommon for these shippers and receivers to solicit carriers themselves. That doesn't happen when the broker is doing their job and covering the freight with their network of reliable/trusted carriers.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
the Macro Point program seems to be a popular system for us smaller carriers as it is more affordable and the Sylectus carriers some of thier staff just are not adequately trained in it....its very simple...1 email automated an hr with a last location....either that or they are just too lazy and they call me at 3am....Location Check Please....
Oh please....... I have it on my phone to be tracked and I still get many stupid what's your zip code calls , they cat even use it . That's not a spelling error either
Take today for instance called me wanted location told them Maryland and 120 miles out till delivery, and this was the response " what how can you be there your going to wv, not md!!! Stop right now and turn around ! Md is east of wv..... If I could have only reached through the phone!
Meow??? Almost as bad as the time I said the road was impassable due to ice and wrecks in pa , they told me to go on the next parallel road to the east it's a blue line on the map , idiots that's a river!!!! Oh yea meow.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Active Aero is not a broker. It's a 3PL provider. Also, they don't just give those loads to RR. RR has to bid on those loads just like everyone else does. If they are not the cheapest bid, they don't get the load. On the Active system, the person posting the load can't see what company is bidding on the load. There are no preferred carriers on there. There are some carriers that are allowed to see more customers/more loads being posted, but there is no favoritism. The loads aren't automatically awarded based on percentages like they are on NLM. The shipper awards the load based on three things. 1. The performance rating of the carrier (red light, yellow light, and green light carriers)! You can figure out what red and yellow light carriers on time ratings are. 2. Based on the location of the truck. 3. Based on the price. If RR automatically got all of the loads posted on Active, Nitimevan would never have to cross his fingers about a load cancelling. He never sees most of the loads that are lost to other carriers, because they seem to only call him/send him loads once they actually have them secured. Smaller carries have not been locked out of Active Aero. Bigger companies and 3PL's rely on smaller carrier networks to help the provide coverage to their customers. The smaller carriers are just as important in this process as the bigger ones. You're all doom and gloom these days. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Treadmill