Broker want pay

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a sprinter van and I pick up a load in Los Angeles and taken it to Denver CO. I had to bid on the load but the dispatcher told me about the load. Here is the thing I drove all night and day and ran into a weather Strom in Utah you couldn't see anything in front of you. I called dispatch and took photos. well it didn't get better it got worse they closed the highway going into Denver cars sitting in parking lots and on the street to get back to Denver. I was only 65 miles away before drop off.
Here is the thing they don't want me pay me and told me to drop the load off onFriday at 7am.

Can they do that? something out of my control. the city had closed that highway at 2:45 it was no way anyone could get inside Denver

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look into this: Force majeure - Wikipedia

Otherwise, if they are stupid enough to tell you they aren't going to pay you in advance of you delivering then don't make the delivery! Hold the freight hostage until they deposit your pay into your account. At worst, they will never do business with again. How bad can that be?

On a side note, what did the load pay per loaded mile?

Reactions: Turtle and Grizzly

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
They rip me off on that also. but I needed the money $1100. can you believe it they said they only made $100 on that deal.
I was taken pictures given them updates extra. I even called the customer . Colorado shut down the highway 70 east.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is the thing they don't want me pay me and told me to drop the load off onFriday at 7am.
According to my calendar Friday is tomorrow. 4 hours from now Mountain Time and 11 hours before 07:00. Don't deliver until you get paid!

Can they do that? something out of my control. the city had closed that highway at 2:45 it was no way anyone could get inside Denver
They can if you let them. Your choice, fight it or bend over.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is why you should belong to ooida, tell them what is going on , let them handle it
if you are not a member join
if they won't pay put a lean on them , go to small claims court
if you hold load for payment they could take legal action on you
when I had a paper route , customer owed $25.00, in New York state you could go put a lean on his house,
so I put one on for $25.00 , he was trying to sale his house
person who was trying to buy house from him, said there is a lean on your house
amazing how fast he paid up

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
simply put it like this. I am not holding your freight I am returning the freight to the shipper cause you do meet meet my credit standards for direct billing .or you can com check me 50% now and 50% at delivery.if he tells you hes not set up for com check just tell him anyone with a credit card can get a com check express check. 1-800-833-8640.whatever you do don't bend over and take it.if you communicated the situation they are not worth doing business with so who cares if they give you another load.

Reactions: scottm4211

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Call the customer that is waiting on the freight to be delivered.Explain to them that the broker won't pay you so it's now a C.O.D. delivery. Cash or comcheck in your hand before you open the door to unload it.best of luck

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Running for a real carrier the carrier should have the leverage to put the broker in their place.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: xiggi

SpeedExpo8

Active Expediter
What would you suggest John ? I'm sure his never had this issue before, I haven't either and would be pissed if I did.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well depends on the contract signed with the broker. Recourse maybe limited or removed by it.