"Broker based" vs. "Central" dispatch

G

I would like to have as detailed description as possible of the differences between a "broker based" and a "central" dispatch. Also, the basic operating principles of each.

Thx, Arky

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Well I'll try and field this one. Broker based company is where the contractors contact the agents throughout the day informing them of their eligibility and of any preferences that may be needed. The rates may vary a little depending on the load and the agent, but apparantley things may be negotiated either way. As far as a central dispatch, normally it is a form of first in first out. In accounting terms that would be FIFO. Simply put, the dispatcher would receive a call from a customer and look for the closest area where the load is picking up from and also look for the vehicle that meets the load requirements that has been idle the longest. Thus a version of FIFO

Hope this helps,

ABC

G

Thx ABC for the good info. I feel that I have a fair understanding of the central dispatch system, but my understanding of the broker based system is pretty cloudy. Or, maybe that's all there is to it?

Are any of our recruiters from a broker based company? I would love to hear as much of a description as possible without getting into the company policy aspect.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of the recruiters for volunteering their time and energy to this forum. By doing so, your dedication to the industry speaks for itself.

THANK YOU!!,

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE:

I know for a fact Dan is but he just started in that position so he may not be able to help on that just yet.

dantherecruiter

Expert Expediter
Landstar is an agent based company. When using an agent base the owner/operator must be somewhat agressive. We look at them as a business owner. We give you the tools, the opportunities to network and find freight. There are many occasions where the agent will contact you based upon your availiblity and location. You are linked to all the agents thru Qualcom. An agent based company works well for those who want to make their own decisions about layovers, and when to take time off, or which load to accept. If those decisions are ones you want others to make for you, then you need to be with a central dispatch operation. If you want to be the boss, go with an agent based plan.

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
Dan,
You stated that with a broker based company a driver or O/O needs to be agressive.

Typically, a new driver or O/O will be a little on the timid side, they may feel they don't know enough about the operations and requirements, also, they are not familiar with the agents and have as yet had the opportunity to build a rapport with any of them.

Do the agents not utilize the Qualcom data regarding what trucks are in the area and are available?

When you say agressive, just how agressive should they be? Also, what steps should they take when they are available for a load?

Also,you mentioned be able to negotiate with the agents. What do you mean by that?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
i would have to disagree with some of the things dan has to say about agent based companies versus central dispatch companies.

> An agent based company works well for those
>who want to make their own decisions about layovers, and
>when to take time off, or which load to accept. If those
>decisions are ones you want others to make for you, then you
>need to be with a central dispatch operation. If you want
>to be the boss, go with an agent based plan.

i can only speak about the company that i am leased to[FDCC]which is centrally dispatched.we make our own decisions about layovers[the company provides info to us to help us make these decisions]we decide when we will take time off and we decide what loads to accept. so if you want to be the boss, you don't need to go with an agent based company you just need to be with a company that allows you to make your own decisions regarding your business. DD

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
RE:

this is my two cents worth from talking to jeff gara a ex fedexcc and now lea re, they give you a book of names and cities of all there
agents and you call them up and induce yourself to them and get to know them
and they get to know you and you tell them what you will do or won't
do

kind of like first date or dance you went to in highschool both
parties were wondering will he or she like me

Numero_uno

Expert Expediter
RE: Why are no recruiters addressing my questions?

I seem to be getting good feedback from the membership of this forum, but why am I not getting any answers from the recruiters?:'(

abcwine

Expert Expediter

I thought I was the 1st or 2nd reply on this question?

ABC

abcwine

Expert Expediter

Sorry about that,
I forgot about the questions you had about the agent dispatch system.
Dan is the man to handle that question. He should get back to you shortly.

ABC

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Re: "Broker based" vs. "Central" dispatch

Is there such a thing as a broker based carrier?

Agent based such as Landstar would be the closest I would think.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Mercer is an agent based carrier, but they are not in expediting. I've heard from different ones that if you get in good with a few of the Landstar agents you can go pretty good. Of course those people where on with Ranger. Maybe be different at Express America.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

This is my take,and im not a broker, but used them years ago.In a broker system,not agent or central dispatch,you keep in contact with the property brokers for your loads.You have your own authority and use these broker to keep you running.In an agent system,its similar to central dispatch system,except you are using company agents that are positioned in different areas of the country.The central dispatch system,you are dealing directly with the company your are leased to for your freight

Last edited: