Broke down in St. Marys, PA.

ftp000

Expert Expediter
Our alternator died while we were sitting at a shipper waiting to be loaded, that's the first load we've ever had to pull off of, not a good feeling. This is the second alternator in a month, that's what I get for buying an alternator at Auto Zone., yet the one going on today is also from the Zone, the only way we could get fixed before Christmas and make it to our daughters was to have my dad go to Auto Zone and buy one and overnight it here. So we're out the price of the load we lost, 2 nights hotel, and a tow and labor on the alternator. We're having a holly jolly Christmas now.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a place to breakdown in...at least they have a Walmart SC there...:cool:

In my experience the price difference of OEM and China junk isn't that different in alternators...With a key piece..I always go OEM..it pays in the long run.

ftp000

Expert Expediter
The price difference was fairly significant in this case, when we first broke a month ago we were in Dayton, Oh. We took it to Stoops there and they wanted 550 for the alt. The one at Auto Zone was 219. But that's not the reason we went with it, the reason was much the same as now, the zone was the only place with one in stock, we shoulda waited then because there's really no choice this time. This place makes me think of that Clooney line in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" 3 days from everywhere.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I don't know much about Auto Zone,however the Alts at AdvanceAuto and Pep boys have a lifetime warranty.What i do is buy the new one and replace the old one while it's still good so you now have a good alt and belt with you so now all you need is to pay the labor for the repair,and a tow if need be.I've had trk stops change mine while on a load,and they don't like to work on vans.The avg lifespan of one is around 250,000,and having one with you one the road is a huge advantage.Now the trick is to get the bad one exchaged for a new one before that old one goes out,that's why it's best to get one from a large chain store and always carry your recite.If you have to wait to get home it could be thousands of miles later and your without a spare.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The price difference was fairly significant in this case, when we first broke a month ago we were in Dayton, Oh. We took it to Stoops there and they wanted 550 for the alt. The one at Auto Zone was 219. But that's not the reason we went with it, the reason was much the same as now, the zone was the only place with one in stock, we shoulda waited then because there's really no choice this time. This place makes me think of that Clooney line in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" 3 days from everywhere.

Wow quite the price difference? why Stoops? is this a Sprinter?

ftp000

Expert Expediter
The vehicle is a Sprinter. From what I've learned the last few days these AutoZone alternators are fair at best, they're known to either last a month or 250,000 miles, luck of the draw. Ours is under warranty, but that won't cover the labor, lost load, or lodging.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Take a gander here.

Shipping takes 2 days, so you'd still be out 2 motel nights, but you wouldn't be paying dealer list price, either.

I replaced my original 90-amp alternator with a 150-amp alternator when I got the van. Since 250,000 to 300,000 miles is the average life of an alternator, at 268,000 miles I replaced the 150-amp with a new one. I'll get the old one looked at for possible rebuilding, but in a pinch the old one could just be put right back on if needed.

ftp000

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the link, those are great prices. I intend to buy one from there and keep it with me at all times. As for now, the UPS guy came and they are putting on the new Autozone alt right now. They said the clutch had gone out on the other one.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
What's Auto Zones warranty? if they sold ya the 1st one then it goes bad in 30 days and you give it back to auto zone as a core for the one you got now.I would think they would warranty the part? which would save you the price of the Alt.