BREAKING NEWS: FMCSA proposes EOBRs for all interstate carriers

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Like in Europe. Unfortunately we are behind EU in many things...

I have a good friend that expedites in the UK with a Sprinter. They do everything different there. Their Sprinters as well as every other mode of transportation has almost no emission controls on their engines. The owner operators over there actually do better than we do money wise because they don't work as many hours as we. But again when he goes out he doesn't have the truck stop facilities we do and his company (like a couple of ours) don't care if you shower for a year as long as your getting their freight there on time.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sure am glad I'm under 10K. :D

Actually Vans will be hit bad ,just like the rest of the Expediting industry .as truckers looks for 'compliance shelter'.
only this time ,it won't be the good o'l revolving door.
van competitors will be made of, off highly experienced well founded truckers .they will come here to stay !

with the new limited 'productive time', experienced truckers will look for 'specialized' modes of transportation.
this time ,we won't see the 'RV' type of truckers entering our industry looking for the lifestyle. o'h no ,this time our competitors will be made of, off highly trained well behaved O/O teams, looking for the big bucks. they will come here to stay !

make no mistake about this: there's a HUGE difference between voluntary Elogs ,and mandatory Elogs.

this is a game changer into Expedite .

remember the whine only a year ago when FXCC went Elog ? think that X 10,000 times.
remember the ratesXloads availability back in late 08 and into 09 ? think that over the next 5 years .
recent history showed us ,that expedite carriers will increase orientations classes to hold market share .

if you ask me,
once this will become the law of the roads, there will be a time for EVERY expediter to rethink their staying in business plan .

the unwishful thinking ,is excepting a VERY long term of reduced rates and loads availability's, accompany with highers costs of staying in business.

The wishful thinking is hoping for rates to hold grounds ,and increase ,as transportation costs of all mods will increase.

there is A LOT that each and every one of us can do to make it go away or/& to capitalized on .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In paragraph 5 [of the linked article] is a list of OTR carriers already using the EOBRs. A few paragraphs further, it says "In April, 2010, the FMCSA mandated EOBRs for all carriers with a pattern of serious HOS violations."
Anyone else wonder whether the FMCSA isn't being nudged to expand the program, in order to remove the perception of it's being a consequence for past behavior?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Ok ,i'll be the Cheri picker...

normally i will scream conspiracy ,
but in this case ,those large carriers had EOBR's way before the April mandate .
but ,yes without having one ,EOBR would have probably mandated at most of them .
so obviously ,this is an economic regulation ,not a safety one.
and yes ,EOBR's are being lobby hard by the ATA for many years now.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. I see this as an economic battle more than anything. It will squeeze smaller carriers and underfunded larger carriers out. On the good side, it does continue to level the playing field.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree. I see this as an economic battle more than anything. It will squeeze smaller carriers and underfunded larger carriers out. On the good side, it does continue to level the playing field.
I'm the first to admit that economics [macro or micro] isn't my best field, but how does a regulation that favors the big guys [ATA] 'level the playing field'?
Yes, Moose, the carriers voluntarily adopted the EOBRs that they saw would be forced upon them, and now they want everyone to have them, just like the speed limiters.
The only good I can see is forcing the issue of detention [downtime spent at the docks] out into the open, where the shippers & consignees will have to address it, instead of demanding 'exceptions' in their contracts.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

The only good I can see is forcing the issue of detention [downtime spent at the docks] out into the open, where the shippers & consignees will have to address it, instead of demanding 'exceptions' in their contracts.

I don't see the change with the shippers at all as many are trying to sell, it is their market and they will just go somewhere else.

moose

Veteran Expediter
, it is their market and they will just go somewhere else.

i do not anticipate they will ,for the simple rezone they will have no place to go .
please reread my comment about "there is a big difference between voluntary EOBR and mandatory EOBR"
i can give you just about 334 rezones why i think that ,but it is all comes down to estimate and wishful thinking .
a good example is the world larges broker . CH Robinson ,it will be VERY interesting to see CH robinson's reactions ,once this becomes law.
now i do understands that Expediters are not exposed to other forms of transportation on a daily basic .but the vast majority of truckers do ,and they are the ones that will hold shippers accountable for their time ,and parking .

there simply won't be enough regional drivers to PU/D for a long long time...
drivers will be hit twice ,once on the paycheck ,again in the grocery store .
sciences are already working on a longer life shelf fruit and vegetables .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep...some states increase the speed limit for trucks and the feds will introduce speed limiters next...

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
The only thing it will do is raise the cost of shipping dramatically. Most trucks will now have teams, with the cost of fuel going up, the driver pool shrinking du to these new regs, and demand for team drivers.....

I don't think anyone is really ready for what's in store for this industry. I know shippers sure as heck are not going to want to pay more to ship this stuff. Consumers will see prices rise across the board.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
I thought they said all this a few years ago. Which is why Panther decided to jump over to them so long ago.

I drove at Werner when they first instituted the original papreless program.

I've always liked it.

And don't get to comfortable in your CV's, gang. They will be bringing HOS to your under 10k chariots as well. Just as soon as they get the new commerce-hating HOS in effect, they will start working on making your Sprinters and E350's regulated.

I'd say less than 2 years before they do it. Gotta get it working by Jan 2013, dontcha know...

They're not just after screwing the heavier drivers. They want all of us.

Thanks!
Christopher

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
With only 13 hours in service does anyone thing shippers and consignees are only going to average 1.5 hours each to load and unload our trucks?

Loading and unloading will almost always eat up some drive time. It's going to force any load over 300 miles to be run by a team. What about Chicago traffic? I'd like to see a carrier shut down and an expedite to a plant in Chicago because traffic ate up the drive time.

I am not really a sky is falling person, but this is going to be a mess!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see a lot more Distribution centers being built...I thinks the companies are very aware of what is going on.....more drop and hooks...and shorter runs....the highwaymen will adapt...our biz is a different ball of wax....

RD.....we've been hearing this since the beginning if time....by the time they go thru all the legal wrangling most of us will be dead and cold in our graves.....

Last edited:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I think that what they(big Gov) are trying to do, with some prodding is to remove the Big truck off the highway. Thus moving freight onto rail. Except that freight will still have to be hauled from company to rail, then from rail to the customer.
The large companies are already doing the rail moves.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that what they(big Gov) are trying to do, with some prodding is to remove the Big truck off the highway. Thus moving freight onto rail. Except that freight will still have to be hauled from company to rail, then from rail to the customer.
The large companies are already doing the rail moves.

That could happen to some degree....and left would be regional guys that won't be required to log...as they don't get that far from home base....which produce yet another problem...