Brand new to expedite/ looking to hire driver what is a fair pay?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wolverine makes a good point: if neither of you know the first thing about expediting, an inexperienced driver can run your business into the ground.
But if you find an experienced driver who's willing to drive someone else's van, you need to look very hard at his/her history, cause there isn't enough money in it to attract drivers with a solid reputation. Could be exceptions, but not many, IMO.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Wolverine makes a good point: if neither of you know the first thing about expediting, an inexperienced driver can run your business into the ground.
But if you find an experienced driver who's willing to drive someone else's van, you need to look very hard at his/her history, cause there isn't enough money in it to attract drivers with a solid reputation. Could be exceptions, but not many, IMO.

You need to listen to me more often, cheri.

My wisdom is practically infinite!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Most CVer's with that much experience and a solid reputation don't usually stay a driver for long....they own their own....

arachnyd

Active Expediter
In either case the driver normally pays workman's comp owner pays qaullcom and insurance.

Not trying to hijack, but how many trucks actually run qualcomm? I went to the expediters show in Wilmington, (which is where I learned about this site), and I talked to a few other guys, but it didn't seem like anyone ran qualcomm?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not trying to hijack, but how many trucks actually run qualcomm? I went to the expediters show in Wilmington, (which is where I learned about this site), and I talked to a few other guys, but it didn't seem like anyone ran qualcomm?

Most companies of some size run qc. There is exceptions i don't believe barret does and there might be others. Off the top of my head they are the only one with say over 40 or 50 trucks that do not. Others on here might add to that list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
the bigger compenys do use qc but they also make a killing off the fees...more than likely you spoke to me if you went to either the cargovan 101 class or expedter 101 class as i was filming nick and jennys class. didn't get to film john's but i'll do it next year!

*aimed at arachynd*

arachnyd

Active Expediter
Most companies of some size run qc. There is exceptions i don't believe barret does and there might be others. Off the top of my head they are the only one with say over 40 or 50 trucks that do not. Others on here might add to that list.

Wow- That actually surprises me. I guess the small outfit i have experience with doesn't, but that's probably because of the cost, One in 50 sounds like a tiny bit, I asked another guy I met and was told "Only the big companies use QC- the vast majority don't with the much cheaper smartphone apps and laptops", but I'm guessing its based on each individuals experiences? Between you and danthewolf00, it sounds like my understanding was probably off, so thanks for the insight!

the bigger compenys do use qc but they also make a killing off the fees...more than likely you spoke to me if you went to either the cargovan 101 class or expedter 101 class as i was filming nick and jennys class. didn't get to film john's but i'll do it next year!

I was in on expediter 101, but not cargovan 101. Sorry if I don't recall, but I'm not sure if I talked to you- my name was Ryan? Wish it wasn't cut off at a hour! haha. Have access to a ST, so I didn't sit in with nick and jenny (not trying to get personal, but are they the two running with FedEX?) Even John talked about running with a laptop, which I presumed, maybe falsely, was "instead of" not "in Addition to" QC?

This year was kind of "intro" to expediting, so I anticipate being there again next year and I'll try to pop in again.

Thanks!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A laptop in no way replaces a qc.

Not calling Dan out but it is a common belief in this industry companies make a killing off qc fees. I have yet to see it proven. It is a lot like saying a restaurant makes a killing off a six dollar breakfast because a dozen eggs is a couple bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Arachnyd: I think the "two running with FedEx" you refer to are TeamCaffee [Bob & Linda], in a straight truck. Nick & Jenny run for Load 1 in a Sprinter.
Linda and Nick both do presentation/seminars, and there's a lot of info to take in, but they both make it fun for everyone who attends.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I just put a driver into my CV and I pay him a 65/35 but I give him the extras FSC, Tolls, DH etc etc. I pay for repairs to the van. But I go in half on the hotel room if it breaks down. If you're planning on doing a contract make sure to include things like where the driver is to leave the van if they quit etc etc. A 65/35 where the driver gets 65 is pretty top of the mark. If I had a Sprinter it would be 60/40

arachnyd

Active Expediter
Arachnyd: I think the "two running with FedEx" you refer to are TeamCaffee [Bob & Linda], in a straight truck. Nick & Jenny run for Load 1 in a Sprinter.
Linda and Nick both do presentation/seminars, and there's a lot of info to take in, but they both make it fun for everyone who attends.

Yup, your right. Just trying to get everyone straight! Thanks!