Border patrol displays flag WRONG

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
When comming up.to the border patrol check point in laredo. ..I noticed the American flag being displayed WRONG.. I was only a Boy Scout and know it is to be the highest and in the middle...jeeez

Attachments

• 1414353816570.jpg
    1414353816570.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
There not other nations. .there the flag of the border patrol and us customs

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If flown along with other state flags, then it's highest and in the middle. When flown along side of pennants of societies, the pennants must not be flown to the right of the American flag {from the point of view of the viewer, the American flag must be on the far left). The flags are indeed displayed correctly.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't have to look anything up because it's not complicated at all. When flown along side of flags of other countries, all the flags are on the same equal footing so to speak, all raised and lowered at the same time. The exception is at the UN where the UN flag flies above all nations.

When the American flag is flown among state, local and society flags, the American flag is to always be flown in THE place of honor, whether that's in the middle on a higher flag pole, or (if the poles are all the same height) to the flag's furthermost own right.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I didn't have to look anything up because it's not complicated at all. When flown along side of flags of other countries, all the flags are on the same equal footing so to speak, all raised and lowered at the same time. The exception is at the UN where the UN flag flies above all nations.

When the American flag is flown among state, local and society flags, the American flag is to always be flown in THE place of honor, whether that's in the middle on a higher flag pole, or (if the poles are all the same height) to the flag's furthermost own right.

Not complicated? ? that's just an arogant statement. ..guarantee very few know that rule and all you just explained...( why would they)
..the rule we do know...is its to be the tallest and in the middle..Which makes sense.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure why it's an arrogant statement... the rules are simple, easy to understand, easy to follow, because they make logical sense, and once you understand that logical sense the rules suddenly become clear and easy. They are rules on how to fly the flag outdoors, not rules on how to build flag poles. The rules necessarily must accommodate existing flag poles and physical circumstances. For example, if the poles in the picture were constructed *correctly" according to you, the Border Patrol station would be prevented from flying the US, Mexican and Canadian flags at the same time, which is something they do on occasion. The three existing poles pictured above allow for that, and also allow for the American flag to be flown along side local and societal flags while still giving the American flag it's rightful place of honor.

Just because you weren't properly taught the rules (or don't remember them) and I was (or that I remember them) doesn't make the rules complicated, or the statement one of arrogance. The rules are what they are. It's not like I'm the one who made them up.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned with people knowing how to properly fly the American flag than I am in who is or is not arrogant, or whether someone views the rules as simple or complicated. The important thing here is that at least two people have learned something about how to fly the American flag along with other flags outdoors, and that's a good thing. The fact that you misremembered (likely) or were taught incorrectly (unlikely, because I learned what I know in BSA, too) isn't important. What's important is now you know.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
That all is simple...what I was taught by my retired staff Sgt US Army father...who took the flag very seriously

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's arogant because you expect it to be second knowledge. ...
Then you don't know what "arrogant" means. Not only do I not expect flag display knowledge to be second knowledge, I'm fully aware that most people aren't aware of the protocols of flag display. You think the rules are highly complex, and because I find them logical and simple to understand, you think I'm arrogant simply because I admit they are simple to understand. That says far more about you then it does about me.

Like I said, the rules are such that they give the American flag the most THE most prominent honor possible - all the details stem from that basis. Once you understand that basis, the rules themselves become quite logical, simple and easy to understand.

There are those who don't want to bother with learning the why of the rules, and focus solely on the rules themselves, and it's those people, generally speaking, who think the rules are a complicated mess. As a result, they tend to latch onto the simplest rule they can understand, such as highest and in the middle, and want the rest of the rules to be as simple as that. They freak out at flag patches on shoulders of uniforms and don't understand why on one shoulder the flag looks fine but on another shoulder the flag is backwards. If they understood the "why" of the rules, they wouldn't be confused by the complexity at all.

Go back to the BSA web site and take a close look at the rules you posted the attachments of. Note the layout of the flags next to each (that you cropped from the paragraph). For example, permanent, free-standing, separate flagstaffs are not the same as flags which are typically "grouped" together. And in Section 3, paragraph "C" down below on that page explains the rule in detail with "...if on the same level..." which is how the flag poles are in the picture in the OP.

To me, those rules seem very simple, not complex at all. Not because the knowledge should be second nature, but because they make perfect sense. It may also very well be that I had to pay more attention to the rules because I was a bugler in the Boy Scouts. One of the seemingly odd responsibilities of a bugler, be it one in the Scouts or in the Navy as my father was, is knowing all of the flag display rules cold. But I certainly don't expect everyone to know them that well. I expect them to know them as well as you thought you knew them, actually.

Knowing the rules cold is both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse when I pull up to a shipper (or one particular freight forwarder in Laredo) who has the American, Mexican and Canadian flags flying in front of their building, with the American flag flying highest and in the middle, and I wonder how the Hell they could continue to fly them that way without someone saying something. It angers me when I see a grossly neglected, badly faded and tattered American flag flying in front of a place of business. It makes me wonder, if they are that lax and negligent on such an important thing, how are they with details of their own products and their own people?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When comming up.to the border patrol check point in laredo. ..I noticed the American flag being displayed WRONG.. I was only a Boy Scout and know it is to be the highest and in the middle...jeeez
I fixed it for you. Now the American Flag is being displayed wrong. Although if I look through the back of my computer it appears to be flying correctly. Very confusing. .
flagsresize_zpsd7172c2b.jpg

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If you look at it from the back of your phone...it looks to be the proper finger....very confusing. .

Attachments

• 1414514534841.jpg
    1414514534841.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14