Bolt

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Dave,

They're not paying for cargo insurance - Bolt does that.

However, despite having that insurance, the contract has an indemnification clause, - whereby the individual contractor agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the carrier for property damage (including damage to cargo) and third party personal injury .... due to acts or omissions on the part of the contractor.

What the liability limiter program does is limit Bolt's right to seek indemnification from the contractor to an amount no greater than $5,000.00 (per claim or occurrence)

It is optional and one may opt out of it.

To opt out you would have to carry a policy for liability and cargo insurance with a deductible no greater than $5000. I am going to see if I can add this through CIS cheaper because I didn't see cargo insurance covered by my policy or if paying Bolt is cheaper.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I will make it simple.
Bolt is the only carrier I have heard of that is charging this.
This isn't cargo insurance. Cargo insurance is seperate and most, but not all carriers cover this as well.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
To opt out you would have to carry a policy for liability and cargo insurance with a deductible no greater than $5000.
Correct.

I am going to see if I can add this through CIS cheaper because I didn't see cargo insurance covered by my policy or if paying Bolt is cheaper.
What does your CIS policy cover ?

Is it only bobtail insurance ? (non-trucking liability)

Dave,

I still don't understand your response - maybe I phrased my question badly:

Is part of your contractual obligation to the carrier you are leased with, to indemnify them against loss, damage, fine, expense, including reasonable attorney's fees, claim for injury to persons, including death, and damage to property, resulting from acts or omissions on your or your driver's part ?

If so, what is your exposure ? (in dollars, per occurrence)

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I will make it simple. Bolt is the only carrier I have heard of that is charging this. This isn't cargo insurance. Cargo insurance is seperate and most, but not all carriers cover this as well.
Yup - that's simple alright.

But it doesn't address the issue that I asked about (indemnification and exposure)