Bolt sleeper

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know if and how you could clean the covers on the bolt sleeper bench seats. Getting into a truck used by someone else, they had pets, and I have allergies. Looks stained some too.

uriykir

Active Expediter
Petsmart rent out spot cleaning machines which will spray a soap cleaner solution and suck it right up right away. That is your best bet. You might have to go over it a few times, and if you set a dehumidifier up inside it will dry everything out faster. Usually for any nasty stains I would spray carpet cleaner , let it soak, then use a hand brush to scrub it, then go over everything with the spot cleaner.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a lot of people get in and out of our truck and sit on the bench seats. I tried using spot treatments and did not like the results which is why I resorted to washing them. They have zippers and are easy to remove and to put back on. I would also pre treat any spots before I washed them and I would use a washer big enough to wash them.

uriykir

Active Expediter
Also for any pet hair, I think vacuums are usually pretty useless depending on the fabric the hair is stuck to. Might try lint roller, but best bet is use a hand brush and vacuum together and scrub hair out then suck it up with a vacuum.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem as I see it is, what about the cushion itself. If the previous driver had pets, there is a good chance the cushion was soiled. The OP said they had allergies, washing the cover alone wouldn't do any good. The cushions need to be replaced.

uriykir

Active Expediter
Doubt dander and hair will get deep in the cushions, worth a try to wash it first and see how it goes. I detailed a million different cars for a used car lot, and some of them really nasty. Never had an issue cleaning cars that the back seats were pet dens for years.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doubt dander and hair will get deep in the cushions, worth a try to wash it first and see how it goes. I detailed a million different cars for a used car lot, and some of them really nasty. Never had an issue cleaning cars that the back seats were pet dens for years.
Dander and hair wouldn't be my issue. I would be more concerned with pee and poop.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would wash them as Linda said and put trash bags over the cushions before I put the covers back on. We did this with all our cushions and it works great !!!!!!!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shrink wrap would work for the cushions also. After covers are clean, Scotch Guard them for easy cleaning later. Scotch Guard works great on seats and seat covers. I had my last truck for 12 years and the seats still looked new when I sold it. I just re-applied scotch guard about every year or so.

uriykir

Active Expediter
Dander and hair wouldn't be my issue. I would be more concerned with pee and poop.
If it's so bad that it's not cleanable, first the previous drivers are liable to replace them, second if owner doesn't make the previous drivers pay for it then he himself is liable to pay for it. Sucks that current driver will have to dish out the dough.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Liability would only reach as far as a contract is worded. Should the owner buy new ones, sure. Is liability apply, doubtful.

That does bring up a good question, have you spoke with the owner letting him or her know how bad they really are?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
They aren't really bad by most people's standards. I ended up getting a few pet items like a vacuum for pet hair and a little sticky thing like a roller but made for pet hair. Got the hair out really well after a few go overs. I guess the stain I thought I was seeing was more of the way the light reflected on the color. So that's good news!

I do still want to wash them though. I like things really clean, and I like keeping the truck in like-new condition. Thanks for all the tips. Glad to hear they're washable.

Reactions: Greg and TeamCaffee

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had the same problem thinking one of the cushions were stained and it was just the light. Most people I know with pets are fanatics about keeping them clean and the pet hair picked up. Last thing we want to do is go into the customer looking like a fur ball.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know if and how you could clean the covers on the bolt sleeper bench seats. Getting into a truck used by someone else, they had pets, and I have allergies. Looks stained some too.
used to detail cars and such foam glass cleaner shake it good foam it let it sit a bit then rub it in dry /wipe up then vacume I,t u may have to repeat but it wont hurt the seat as much.

Reactions: butterfly610