bmv record question

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Speaking of that Canada thing...with DUI you can't go into Canada as they consider DUI a felony (this used to be the case at least)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not me! I remember young but not so much stupid. I have friends that love to remind me all about the stupid.
875655780bfe60f71cf49c700d7d6900.jpg

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Speaking of that Canada thing...with DUI you can't go into Canada as they consider DUI a felony (this used to be the case at least)

So they check your record while youre waiting at the border to cross? Or is there some kind of Canada specific passport you have to have? Ive never crossed a border before and don't know how it works.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So they check your record while youre waiting at the border to cross?
Yes. The first time you cross into Canada, anyway. Once you're cleared and in the system they won't check your record background like that.

Well, that's actually per Province. You can be cleared and have crossed dozens or hundreds of times into Ontario, and the first time you cross the border into Quebec or Alberta or some other Province, it's like it's your first time crossing into Canada. They'll check your background, you'll fill out some paperwork, and you'll have a quick interview with Immigration.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There may not have been camera phones when I was young and stupid but there were cameras.
.Greg Skiing on Car - Copy.jpg

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
I had a DUI when I was 17 in 1976. Parents were proud. Got another in 1980. Got reduced to 1st offense, but I was always worried it would show on my records. Never did have any problems. I did get 3 speeding tickets and 13 warning tickets in 2013 when I drove 545 miles a day for a courier. Don't think warnings show on record though.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Did you sneak a peek! I had a long daily route that was time sensitive and got to know the same cops in certain areas and we got on a "warnings only" understanding so as I could make my deliveries on time.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
yea your not really welcome up here either with one your record, I do believe you get turned away, a friend of mine was NOT allowed in with one on their record. They check you everytime you cross the border.. you don't think there's a reason your behind the line waiting your turn for less congestion at the window, do you?

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
well their dui was from decades ago as well...... and it was apparently tossed according to the friend, but Canada still had it on their side... you need to carry documentation with you if it gets expunged in case you do go to Canada
then you truly have CYA

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Thanks for the tip. Im fairly confident im going to get it expunged from my criminal record, its my mvr that is more iffy. Im going to talk to a lawyer this week or next about it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
you need to carry documentation with you if it gets expunged in case you do go to Canada
then you truly have CYA
Absolutely. In 1990 I was arrested on trumped up charges by a former employer who got mad because I quit (and because I stole his girlfriend months after quitting). The sheriff who called me and told me to come down to the station so I could be arrested knew it was BS, and so did the judge. The next day after I was fingerprinted, photographed and sent on my way, the judge dismissed the charge with prejudice, which means they can't even be filed again. It's the same as a not guilty verdict, if it had gone to trial. When I got my FAST card I had to get documentation of the disposition of the charges, because the arrest record alone was keeping me out of Canada.

How Canadian Customs even knew about it, I have no idea. US Customs didn't know. The record was never made electronic. It took the Court Clerk 4 hours to find it in the filing cabinets in the basement of the courthouse. When she handed me the copy of the disposition the judge happened to be in the office and he offered to expunge the arrest completely. Which he did. That satisfied both US and Canadian Customs for my FAST card.

Years later the first time I crossed into Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC, even with a FAST card, I needed that documentation all 4 times to satisfy them on the arrest record.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Absolutely. In 1990 I was arrested on trumped up charges by a former employer who got mad because I quit (and because I stole his girlfriend months after quitting). The sheriff who called me and told me to come down to the station so I could be arrested knew it was BS, and so did the judge. The next day after I was fingerprinted, photographed and sent on my way, the judge dismissed the charge with prejudice, which means they can't even be filed again. It's the same as a not guilty verdict, if it had gone to trial. When I got my FAST card I had to get documentation of the disposition of the charges, because the arrest record alone was keeping me out of Canada.

How Canadian Customs even knew about it, I have no idea. US Customs didn't know. The record was never made electronic. It took the Court Clerk 4 hours to find it in the filing cabinets in the basement of the courthouse. When she handed me the copy of the disposition the judge happened to be in the office and he offered to expunge the arrest completely. Which he did. That satisfied both US and Canadian Customs for my FAST card.

Years later the first time I crossed into Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC, even with a FAST card, I needed that documentation all 4 times to satisfy them on the arrest record.
latest