BlueHeat

tazman

Expert Expediter
Seems like an odd topic in the 'dead of summer' but a rep stopped by to see me today with a product called "BlueHeat"...this a tiny engine that is mounted under your hood....it takes coolant and pulls into a heat exchanger that then trips the vent opening and sends heat into the cab....it can be used with diesel or gas...
It uses about 0.16 gal/hour of full at full capacity and draws about 3.8 amps at full usage....

The rep is marketing this thing for cars and vans ..but I feel this has some great potential in the expediting arena....

The unit is made by Webasto...which I understand makes a variety of products for the Class 8 chassis...........
It actually fits in your hand and weights about 7 pounds...

This unit can also be set up to come on when the temp gets too high and activates the blower fan bringing the temperature in line with outside air...."could be good at night...for sleeping" .....

The website is: www.webasto.us

They also make a heater for the windshield washer that warms the fluid...so that you get no buildup when you apply it on the windshield..... www.microheat.com

Anybody seen or heard about these units.....?????

Frank in Pa.
"The Beast in the East":)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I think anti-idling is a good subject - anytime. It's funny you mentioned the Microheat product - they launched that at the Expedite Expo a few years ago.

Now for cargo van units - I favor Espar:

https://www.expeditersonline.com/sub/espar/index.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I like the theory on how it works, but I would wonder how long it would last. A small engine like that would have a tremendous amount of RPM's over a short period of time. I looked at their website, however they don't get too technical.
As Lawrence mentioned, the Espar is a good unit and the folks I have talked to, seem to like it.
Davekc

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Dave,

These units are are being used in Europe on regular basis...in fact you can order them as an option on most vehicles over there....

I saw the product ..... and the rep is the Eastern Sales Manager...so I called him and asked about the testing they have done....
He is sending me the the details.....and I'll pass it on....

It's also whisper quiet......when you pass by a car with it running....and the hood is closed...you can't hear it....

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have mirc heat for the window wash works great
clears frost windshield real nice in winter
myself like the pro heat genset

comfort king

Expert Expediter
These units could be used for over night warmth, but the 3.8amperage draw does not include the blower fan, so you could get into a battery problem. For interior heat without idling, we prefer the Espar Airtronic 2. It runs 20 hours on a single gallon of fuel, only drawing 1.5Amps on average. Any questions, call 800.837.3900

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Just to clarify the Espar unit runs off both Diesel and Gasoline.
That is just way to cool..or warm in my books.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!