Blog - Facebook - Twitter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are figuring out other ways of staying in touch with family and friends besides using the phone. We have extended family and friends we do not stay in close contact with but still like to know what is going on with them and also to let them know we are alive and well.

None of our family and many of our friends are not involved with trucking so keeping in contact with them and with our lifestyle can be challenging.

We have started blogging, signed up for Facebook and have starting learning more about Twitter and Tweets. Facebook has allowed us to find long time lost friends and also we can quickly look at friend’s home pages and see what they are up to and even check out their albums and see pictures of family and other friends. The blog has saved me much work mass emailing family and I have found it is easier to write the blog and post pictures then anyone who wants to can see what we are up to. Twitter now is a whole new ballgame and is kind of fun for short updates on what is happening to all. The people we follow and our following is not as great as it is on Facebook but in time I think it will be just as popular.

Who else is using Facebook, blogs and Twitter to keep up with each other? What other ways have you found to stay in contact with family and friends?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's barely enough time to keep up with emails, EO, another forum or two and still have time to enjoy reading. Adding all these other things is just too much. Maybe one of them would be ok if it doesn't add very much time expense at all but that's all without cancelling out other important things.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo when you are out for a nice walk is when you listen to books or when you are driving you listen to books. Usually by the time I am ready for bed I only get a few pages of reading done from my hard cover books before my eyes shut.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yep, I admit, I'm an online addict.. didn't mean to be.. first it was just forums... then my kids talked me into Myspace .. then, some people from my school got ahold of me and talked me into Facebook...

So, I set up a simple lil page.. and then.. and THEN... people from my past come out of the woodwork.. LOL.. and then Linda, Cheri, etc....

IT's kinda fun... I don't spend a lot of time on it, but it's neat to check and see where the other Expediters are at, what my old friends are up to, etc. Plus, people I haven't talked to in 20-25 years, found me within 2 weeks of opening my account... wierd! but cool. I've re-struck some old friendships with high school friends, old troublemakers like me, and people of all ages from church.

I'm not one of those who accepts 'friends' requests from anyone who asks, just to have 30000 friends, LOL.. but it is fun.. plus, I can hit a quick update from my phone browzer, when I don't have computer access. I have a few people who check daily just to see where I'm at, stuff like that.

Kinda cool

Dale

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I use Facebook for family and college friends.

I use Twitter to keep up with a few techie geeks.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Well, someone (sorry forgot who, I think cheryl but could be wrong) from EO sent me some info on Facebook. I signed up for it , got my own Facebook page now - but I'm not really sure what to do with it? It is kind of confusing. Had heard about it before but had never checked it out. What is twittering anyway. :D

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Haven't used none of the above. I do have a myspace account....it's there at the bottom if ya'll wanna check it out:cool:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
**Thud** (Dale just fell out of chair!)

Wild Bill! Dude! Glad to see you crawling out of the shadows!

Welcome back!

Dale

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I was just reading your link Linda so am I understanding it right, twittering is like an instant messaging that anyone can join and all can see? :confused:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's too easy to get distracted listening. Reading is done with the eyes not the ears. How often do you "hear" a song and realize it's one you like and almost over and you were so focused on driving or whatever you missed a lot of it or else you are listening to a song you like and barely into it have to focus on something and don't really hear most of it. No, at least for me reading requires eyeball involvement.

I've read facebook especially is bad for phishing/spyware/scamming so I'm leery of those online sites.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was just reading your link Linda so am I understanding it right, twittering is like an instant messaging that anyone can join and all can see? :confused:

That is right and limited two I believe 144 characters so you cannot get carried away with an update.

Facebook is fun but it is online as these forums are and anything you post will be there forever.

I have discovered on many books I like to listen as I like to hear the odd words and names pronounced correctly. If anyone has listened to the Harry Potter series will know what I am talking about.

I have also found that listening to talk shows just raises my blood pressure with rage at what is going on in the world and the feeling of helplessness. I can read online what I want and filter out what I do not want to read. That leaves listening to books which I pickout and I can shut off if they are not what I expected.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri mentioned Facebook to me the other day. I'm kinda like Leo, I spend so much time on the 'puter now, I'm really resisting things that would have me here even more. I dunno, maybe I'll do it, but I just don't think I'm interesting enough to have something people would want to check out. I'm old, fat, and I spend all my time in a truck. Is there a line forming to see something like that?

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Since I have been doing 1 load a week the last 3 months, and not going home, I have been spending a lot of time playing Facebook games.

Login | Facebook

If anyone out there with a cargo van wants to trade up to a straight truck, I will trade so I can park the van and drive semi full time. I will even trade for a pickup truck to pull my boat.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
MySpace never got my attention, but I am liking Facebook - it lets you keep up with family & friends (truckers & non) easily, and I like the photos a lot.
Hey Eagle, do you play Mob Wars? That's my current timewaster: robbing liquor stores, buying tommy guns, attacking other mobs....:D

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
My kids finally talked me into signing up for Facebook. I've been playing on the site all day. I've started playing Mafia wars.. and Fashion wars.. and collected Easter eggs.. bought rounds of drinks.. and wasted the whole day. lol