biodiesel and powerstrokes

tiredofsittn

Expert Expediter
anybody got a story to tell, thinking of trying 50/50 blend, heared theyre talking of a few small problems with b100, i got the 7.3

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>anybody got a story to tell, thinking of trying 50/50 blend,
>heared theyre talking of a few small problems with b100, i
>got the 7.3

OK here is some stuff to think about. Please understand I have been driving with biodiesel for a while, until last year. Most of what I know comes from experience making it, working with a lot of people who make it and using it in my trucks and cars for about eight years. I will be making it again to heat my home and garage, it works great in my 15000 btu kero heater.

First if you use B100 on a used vehicle, you will need to replace your fuel filters and maybe an IP because of the cleaning quality of B100. I would not use B100 but B35 or B50.

Second using B100 (or even B85) in cold weather is not a good idea, it gels around 20 degrees, depending on a lot of factors. You need to find a way to heat it. I just saw a really neat but complex system using a Eberspächer (Espar) D7W heater that heats the biodiesel in two 100 gallon tanks and the fuel lines in a motor home. This guy makes his own at 200 to 300 gallons a time and loves to drive to Alaska in the winter.

Third, don’t under any circumstances use straight veggie oil (waste or virgin) as many suggest. I won’t go into the details of removing glycerin and other impurities from the VO but will say you want to void warrantees, cause irreparable damage to your engine and cost you down time, go ahead and put 10 gallons of raw veggie oil in your tank.

I have to say that I was very happy using it. I used it in a GMC 6.2, GMC 6.5, Dodge 5.9 Cummins, several generators, different heaters to just name a few.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good post.

If using, I would highly recommend carry spare fuel filters and the tools to replace them.
As mentioned, clogged filters are a common occurance when first used or in colder weather.

Davekc

G

80/20 blend of diesel/biodiesel seems to be the blend of choice. At this blend you get improved lubricity and reduced emissions without the gelling problems of higher ratios.

Listen to what Greg says, though, he's been there and done it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Got something else to add

I got a book (actually it is a magazine) called Make: technology of your time and it had a nice illustrated article about making Biodiesel. The website is http://www.makezine.com. It is not cheap, $14.99.