Biggest NFL draft bust of all-time?

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
Since the draft is under 60 days away, may as well get the conversation going...all the experts are starting to state who they believe is "can't miss" at the pro level. Lemarcus Russell, LSU QB, is one of those. IMO, the raiders can't help but take him with the number one pick, but they need so much help, especially on offense. I believe the Wide receiver from Georgia Tech, Calvin Johnson, is the only "can't miss" player.

My pick for biggest bust has got to be Ryan leaf. He wasn't just bad on the field, He was bad off as well. My 2nd biggest bust would be former bear alonzo spellman from The Ohio State university. who would you guys list as busts in the draft?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Maurice was a 3rd rounder, which is a hit or miss round. Sometimes you hit starters there.

I agree with Ryan Leaf. Rick Mirer also ranks up there. How about Akili Smith?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
If we are talking first rounders only then I have to go with Tim Couch. Same draft as Akili Smith but Couch was the number one pick that year (1999).Couch rhymes with OUCH!!!!::7 Akili is probably worse though...he couldn't even make it in the Arena 2 league!!!
He got cut in Dayton before the season even started.!

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
wasn't Tim Couch at least servicable? I know He was a big disappointment, but I wouldn't call him a complete bust. Ryan Leaf is almost the definition of complete bust. I guess when it's your team, it's more magnified. for example, Mike Haynes DE from Penn state, drafted by the bears before they picked Grossman, is now gone. He was I believe he's the 14th pick that year? BTW, we're not saying only 1st rounders, but anybody who came out with a lot of hype and/or potential...even though 1st rounders are usually the ones who get the hype.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of Penn State and the Bears, what ever happened to Curtis Enos???I don't recall what round he was in. How about Heath Schuler?? I heard he is a congressman from North carolina now.
The list is long.....Andy Katzenmoyer,David Carr,Ryan Leaf, Drew Henson, etc., etc., and on and on.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
David Carr? He hasn't been dropped by the Texans yet.

Curtis Enos was a rb for da Bears. He had a few good years. Not a flop.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
Curtis Enis, with all the hype, was a huge disappointment. so was Archie Griffin, if anyone remembers him. 2 time heisman trophy winner. ;)

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, Archie was too small for the NFL, but he did last 8 years.I don't really remember if he was that highly touted when he was drafted. Where I come from he is the man though.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I don't remember the hype back then, but how could he NOT be highly touted? 2 time heisman winners don't grow on trees. speaking of draft picks, Kellen Winslow II is quickly becoming a draft bust, not primarily because of his on field play. Daddy needs to kick "the soldier" in the pants...He's only a few steps behind the mosses and T.O.'s of the world.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Actually K II is a pretty good tight end. at one point he was # 1 in the AFC this past season. He'll be O.K. once he learns to get his attitude in check.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
>Actually K II is a pretty good tight end. at one point he
>was # 1 in the AFC this past season. He'll be O.K. once he
>learns to get his attitude in check.

I guess the operative word is "if" not "once". How many guys have you seen in sports who start out with bad attitude, then changes for the better? I can't name any off the top of my head. However, I can probably name three or four who started with a good, positive attitude, and now, their attitude sucks (AROD, Mark Mcgwire, Isaiah Thomas, etc). I'm not saying there can't be a change from bad to good, I'm just saying it's not normal. Personally, I Love Kellen Winslow senior, I was a big Chargers fan back then, and I wished His son the best of success, until the big rant about Tenessee.
;)

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Cris Carter had a horrible attitude when he was with Philadelphia...he turned it around with the Vikings. Irving Fryer, also with Philadelphia, went on to become a pastor while with Miami...he had a real bad attitude along with a bad reputation.......I could probably think of some more....

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, there are SOME who made changes, but it's not the norm. If you notice, the people you mentioned are affiliated with some type of religion, but so is Mike tyson!!!;) Cris Carter became a born again christian right before He left philadelphia, so that would explain his turn around. I'm not saying Kellen II CAN'T change, but it would take a lot of humbling to do so, given his track record. Look at the situation in chicago with Lance Briggs: He'd rather have more money than humble himself and be part of a TEAM that could go back to the super bowl...he's prepared to sit out the whole season next year...what an idiot.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just for the record, curtis enis played for the bears 1998-2000. chosen 5th in the draft he was selected over randy moss.
wikipedia has this to say:

Curtis Paul Enis (born June 15, 1976, in Union City, Ohio) is a former professional American football player. For three seasons he played running back for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League. He was a first round pick (#5 overall) in the 1998 NFL Draft. Today, he is mostly remembered for a Sports Illustrated article in which he spoke about his conversion to Fundamentalist Christianity and his relationship with the organization Champions for Christ[1]. He now works at Clopay in Russia, Ohio. He is also currently attending the Ohio Basic Peace Officer Academy through Edison State Community College and Miami County Sheriffs Office

when you want to look at "different worlds" the bears are offering briggs 10 times what he made on a previous contract 700k to 7mill and that is not enough. who want s to work for only 10 times your last check? go ahead and sit out lance. hope you don't blow out your knee while doing solo training.

Here are three names from memory lane:

cade mcnown

tony mandrich

brian bosworth.

lawrence phillips missed a block on a monday night game and steve young was clocked for the 5th time. it was steves last game in sf.

ADDENDUM:On October 10, 2006, Phillips was found guilty of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon. He faces up to 20 years in state prison. A sentencing date has not yet been set.-wikipedia

blood pressure going up. gotta go.

Jack Berry

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
How the heck did I forget Brian Bosworth? Todd Blackledge could be considered, and so far, WR Mike Williams from USC. I believe the Lions have been pleasantly disappointed in him, considering he was supposed to be a can't miss pick. In eight games two years ago, He caught 8 passes for 99 yards. some kind of "can't miss" pick, huh?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was trying to forget Bozworth! LOL

Yeah... Mike Williams, and how bout Charles Rogers? Those two are the reason Millen is thru if they draft Calvin Johnson. This time, I think they need to pick up someone like that. You don't turn down a wr that comes along every five years.