Best way to get started with 20 years experience?

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
That's right, I was just told that my 20 years driving experience with well over 1,000,000 accident and violation free miles are worthless, because I have had a cushy local driving job pulling propane tankers... I feel like I have been sucker punched in the gut. Apparently 13 years OTR running expedited freight, pulling oversized loads, pulling turnpike doubles, owning 2 tractors, and the past 7 years of safely running tankers that are capable of leveling entire towns doesn't amount to anything if you haven't been over the road in the previous 4 years... I don't get it. Apparently I'm back to being a Newbie??? I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I guess it's good I didn't buy the truck yet, it must be a sign.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
I'm a bit calmer today. I will have had my class A CDL for twenty years tomorrow! I found out it's an insurance issue with the carrier, and not a reflection upon me as a driver. Now it has me wondering even more about their safety rating...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm a bit calmer today. I will have had my class A CDL for twenty years tomorrow! I found out it's an insurance issue with the carrier, and not a reflection upon me as a driver. Now it has me wondering even more about their safety rating...

I wouldn't assume it has any relation to the carrier's safety rating, [but you could check, just to be sure], it is most likely a general policy, applied to all. Insurance requires things simply to cover their ***[ets] in case of a major claim.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If one just goes to Craigs List, there are enough trucking companies listed in each state to keep you busy sending in applications for years imho.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
Yes, there are lots of driving jobs on craigslist, but truthfully, most seem like really bad jobs based on their ads. I'm not interested on making a move backwards, and would only make a lateral move if it would benefit me in the future. Thankfully I still have options, I just didn't realize that being a local driver at the same company for the past 7 years was going to hinder me when it came time to make a change. Time to eat some humble pie and continue working on the next move. I'm just really disappointed because it would have been a great situation for my family.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
By the way, thanks to everyone who sent PM's and replies offering help and advice. I know I didn't respond to them all, but it is greatly appreciated! I'm going to take my time and explore my options, hopefully we will find an equally good fit somewhere else!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If one just goes to Craigs List, there are enough trucking companies listed in each state to keep you busy sending in applications for years imho.
I wouldn't trust anything posted on Craigslist.

That web site is a total waste of bandwith. IMO of course.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Actually I found my current pimps on craigslist and have sold a lot of stuff never had a bad experience although you need to do your homework!