TV Best satellite dish

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
Hello all.

I am looking for advice on getting a satellite dish for our 2014 cascadia. We are tired of the quality of digital air channels and it's poor picture quality. What type of dish is regarded as best for truck drivers? Can they work while the truck is in motion? What type of cost are associated with these type of satellite dish. Thank you.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Go to camping world, they have numerous options for in motion satellite receivers. We have dish network and they have a program for a receiver on your home account, usually for RVs so it limits your bill.
Scott

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Camping world is the last place i would go. They were 400$ more than where we bought ours. As far as service, if you already have a service at home, just take the receiver out of your house and you are good to go. Ours is a Winegard RT8035 Minimax [in motion]. We paid 1150$ for it shipped to the door. Have had it for 3years now with no issues and installation is a breeze. Our service for it costs nothing but what we pay for home service.

American RV out of Azusa, CA. We have bought alot of stuff through them and their service has been good and their prices are great.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have Dish Network, as well. I have a Tailgater in the van. It's not in-motion, but it's pretty gnarly, because it gets all the HD channels.

For Dish, you'll need a 211 receiver (the 211z is the new one, $99, smaller and faster, but doesn't have the OTA antenna connection of the older 211k for $79 - if you don't need an OTA connection, the 211z is better) and either a DISH Tailgater or a Winegard antenna. So, it's about $450 total with a Tailgater, and about $100 more with a Winegard.

These are portable antennas for, you know, tailgating and RVing. The Tailgater comes with a handle and rubber feet, but I removed the handle and unscrewed the rubber feet and replaced then with dual threaded studs and mounted the dish to a Qualcomm mount on top of the van.

Here's the Dish page on it
DISH - Take HD TV Outdoors

guido4475

Not a Member
I wish I can find a pole-mount dish that is like 8-12" in diameter...for easy storage in the van while moving.....if they even make them....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The dish that's inside the Tailgater is only 15 inches in diameter. That's about as small as you're gonna get and still be able to get the 129 HD satellite, as the signal strength on that one is weak on a full-size Dish 1000 dish, and is barely strong enough to get a signal lock on the Tailgater.

The Winegard Pathway X1 is a little smaller, but on a diagonal line from southern California to Maine the closer you get to Maine the weaker the signal. You can't get 129 in the northeast at all, and it starts getting iffy at about the Ohio/PA state line. In New England the 129 satellite is iffy on the Tailgater, too, it's just worse with the Winegard, because of the smaller dish.

The Pathfider X2 is considerably bigger and will have a signal strength twice that of the Tailgater, and sees both the eastern and western arc satellites, so it'll pick up whichever one gives the best signal. It's a nextgen satellite dish. If I were going to get a brand new one today, it would be the X2.

They do make tripod mounts for these things. Roof mounted in expediting is way better, I promise you. You get out there and get it all set up, and invariably when dispatch calls and you have to roll like right now, it'll be raining, and not only will you have to get out in the rain and take it all down, now you get to store a big wet thing and coax cable inside the van somewhere, because you have to have that coax cable running out there to it. When dispatch calls me and I'm watching TV, there's nothing to take down and stow, nothing to store or crank down, I just kill the power to the TV and receiver box and start the van and go.

The Tailgater (and the Pathway antennas) are set it and forget it, plug and play, when mounted. The Tailgater you can just sit on the ground or on the roof. I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with the Winegard antennas. Be a real bugger to drive off with it sitting either place, tho. But the Winegard has a side window mount you can get to temporarily mount it that way, kind of like a pole, only probably better. They make a window mount for the Tailgater as well.

JCT

Rookie Expediter
Does any one have input on DISH vs DirectTV? I've been searching RV websites and most reviews seem to mention DISH as having better reception nationwide. True/false?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Direct TV....I use the App....no extra cost...if you have internet then you have your home Direct tv in your van......myself I don't like Dish ...setup or channel selection.....my 2