Best Power Inverter and Aux Battery available for Sprinter

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have 2 Deka L-16's mounted in a tight box, against the side. Right at 24 inches from center line to outer edge of box. Purchased from Batt-plus, just over $500 out the door.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do like Deka. They make good batteries, but they're not a premium battery. You get what you pay for. Lifeline & Odyssey are the two premium AGM's. Lifelines can be equalized whereas the Deka and Odyssey can not. Conditioning or equalizing charges can greatly extend the life of Lifeline AGM batteries beyond the competition, and it's just one of many little things that make Lifelines so much better than anything else out there. Lifelines can also be charged at 100c (100% of their rated capacity) where other AGMs are generally only about 20c.

If you're looking for a budget AGM, Deka, Trojan, either are fine. You won't go wrong, or likely regret, getting either of them.

If it were me, I'd buy the Sun Xtender. It's virtually the same battery as the Lifeline, made by Concord on the same assembly line, only it doesn't have the 5 year warranty and it's cheaper because of it. The Lifeline has a 1-year free replacement, and 60-months pro-rated. The Sun Xtender has a 1-year free replacement, that's it. The Sun Xtenders are not hardened, so when you install them they need to be absolutely immobile, otherwise the bumping jostling of the van will cause the terminals to crack. Internally, the Lifeline and Sun Xtender have the same exact plates and construction.

Reactions: davekc

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you know any place in the Michigan or Ohio area that stock the Lifeline or Sun Xtender, would like to avoid paying shipping and just do a cash and carry deal.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Batteries Plus (Ann Arbor Farmington Hills, Birmingham, in Michigan) is a Concord dealer. They also have locations all over Ohio and Indiana. They probably won't stock exactly what you're looking for, so I'd call a few days ahead of time.

Also, there's Impact Battery, which generally has some of the best prices around. They have their main warehouse in Kentucky. I would imagine (bit do not know for sure) that you could just pickup from the warehouse.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Batteries Plus (Ann Arbor Farmington Hills, Birmingham, in Michigan) is a Concord dealer. They also have locations all over Ohio and Indiana. They probably won't stock exactly what you're looking for, so I'd call a few days ahead of time.

Also, there's Impact Battery, which generally has some of the best prices around. They have their main warehouse in Kentucky. I would imagine (bit do not know for sure) that you could just pickup from the warehouse.

Good to know thanks Turtle so the best deals arn't in Elkhart Rv Capitol ! ;)

I wonder where impact warehouses are located have to call and find out tomorrow.
I'll also check Batteries Plus if the price is a little higher but location is better I'll take the convenience route and save some fuel. Would two of the
LIFELINE GPL-4CT work or would you recommend the LIFELINE GPL-6CT ?

The house inverter is going to be this model Xantrex PROsine 1800 Power Inverter Found a used one for $300

Check this one out super high end almost half price in Cleveland!
Magnum MS Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger

Any difference or recommendation on the 12v 24v or 48v inverter? I was thinking 12v was the way to go.

The LIFELINE GPL-6CT 6Volt and the Sun Xtender® PVX-3050T are priced at around $350-400 each and are pretty much identical in specs. Id say these are as big as you would want to go and keeping it to just two keeps down on the weight which allows more cargo weight and better MPG. 90lbs each = 180lbs for the pair, double that and its cutting into your MPG slightly. ;)

Best price here so far GPL-6CT 6 Volt, 300 Amp Hour Deep Cycle AGM , they have distributors in Indiana so I have to check if they allow local pick up.The Trojan J305-AGM is actually priced higher then the comparable Lifeline and Sun Xtender from what I've seen.

Some good reads here about LIFELINE advantages Lifeline 6 Volt AGM Battery Upgrade
Just switched to two 6V batteries: amazing results - Airstream Forums

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I have two 6 volt Full River batteries charging from a ProMariner 12V to 12 Volt 40 amp charger.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fullriver is another good battery. I think Moot has one of those.

Got quoted $550 today for two fullriver DC 250-6 at centex but I'm ways out, guess I'll try and pick up some lifelines in the next town. I heard the factory is in NC. If anyone is in the area near warehouse and headed to Ohio let me know lunch on me. :) Canton is the drop off location.

Can't beat this deal in Florida, too bad I'm not there.
Batteries 6Volt

Heading out of Tx now into Detroit. Esparless. Hope I can get a decent load tomorrow to help cover these hotels.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fullriver might extend the warranty perhaps, hard to beat 7 year coverage. The size of that batter is kinda in a sweet spot as well.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope I can get a decent load tomorrow to help cover these hotels.
HOTELS!?! You must be getting decent loads already. I'm under 2 sleeping bags and a blanket and it's - 14, just like the last 10 winters

You're not from the snowy regions are you? ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah lived in VA and CO, I just don't do cold anymore. Well I am this week. I'll do all the California loads nobody wants.

Just ran from Dallas to Detroit in 24 hrs wasn't even a expedite load but I wanted to get up here quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone, finallly getting back to the upgrades with the van. Any updates on batteries and inverters, bang for the buck affordable mid range inverters and batteries in 2019? Already have the 2200 watt generator and roof top ac picked out.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any thoughts on this inverter? Price seems good.