Best place to finance or lease a Sprinter van?

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
First of all I apologize if this has been discussed repeatedly before but I couldn't find the answer using the search feature. Where is a reputable place to finance a Sprinter van, especially if you have damaged credit? I have been told that most traditional places won't finance a Sprinter because they still consider it a commercial vehicle. I do realize I would probably need to put a large chunk of money down.

If I can't get financed where is a good option to lease a Sprinter van? Is Ryder or Penske a good option? Do most expedite companies not accept vans leased from these companies because they expect you to plaster your vehicle with their logos?

I have been expediting for the last year and I drive a company Sprinter van, but I want to look into getting my own van and switching companies. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Try going to a dealership and see if they will lease you one. But keep in mind leasing vehicles comes with a small limit on miles a year most less than 20,000

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
Try going to a dealership and see if they will lease you one. But keep in mind leasing vehicles comes with a small limit on miles a year most less than 20,000

When I say lease I don't mean like a traditional lease, I'm talking about leasing through Penske or Ryder, like a long term rental with unlimited miles.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
i see. I wouldnt know I havent leased a vehicle. I just hope the company will keep you busy cause im sure a lease will be pretty expensive . How damaged is your credit ( without getting into personal stuff ) cause even thought it may be low credit score you still could get a loan. Ryder has alot of 2005-2006 sprinters on their website for around $14,000 +

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
It's pretty damaged but I have been cleaning it up as best I can. I would say my score is in the 600 range but I haven't checked it recently (I am planning on checking it again this week).

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the link, took a look at it but the information was a little dated. I have been averaging over $1200 a week after expenses driving a company Sprinter so I expect I could be doing a LOT better if I owned my own.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If your credit is crap, forget it.

Save the money, buy a used van (not a sprinter) and go from there.

Get something that won't put you in a mess if the carrier won't keep you loaded.

You are an employee? driving a company van?

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
I have been averaging over $1200 a week after expenses driving a company Sprinter so I expect I could be doing a LOT better if I owned my own.

As a van o/o, you cannot expect to do a LOT better, according to these threads...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would go to a dealership that sells the van you want to get. A 600 score is not at the bottom of the list. Let them tell you what needs to be done. This time of the year, they want to move as many units before the end of the year. The % rates will be high even with a lot down payment. Stop guessing, go to a dealership. You will be more likely to get a new van over a used one. At least you will know.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think this is another illustration of this whole problem with a lot of people who see money and don't get the idea that they need not to step into a bigger mess.

If your finances are crap, then you are better off not trying to put more of a burden on yourself and drag your credit rating further down. Get it right, right from the start and you will be father ahead. Vans should not be a problem to get, they are CHEAP and getting your foot in the door as an O/O can be done without having to finance or lease anything.

The issues that people no longer mention is the financial padding that is needed to survive any downturn. It is that three months of operating expenses (or being really good at money management which means you would have a great credit rating to begin with) needed to survive the normal slowdowns or cycles.

JUST because freight is moving, it does not mean it is a good time to go in debt to 'cash in' but rather save the money (or straighten your finances up) in order to get a vehicle.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, he ask where to get financing. Someone with a 600 score can get a new one over a used one due to the rebates and other discounts offered on new van purchases. Now, paying for it after he gets it, is another tread in the making.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Steady, I would normally agree it is another thread but the problem is asking about funding to finance a problem in the making is not a good thing regardless.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I think this is another illustration of this whole problem with a lot of people who see money and don't get the idea that they need not to step into a bigger mess.

If your finances are crap, then you are better off not trying to put more of a burden on yourself and drag your credit rating further down. Get it right, right from the start and you will be father ahead. Vans should not be a problem to get, they are CHEAP and getting your foot in the door as an O/O can be done without having to finance or lease anything.

The issues that people no longer mention is the financial padding that is needed to survive any downturn. It is that three months of operating expenses (or being really good at money management which means you would have a great credit rating to begin with) needed to survive the normal slowdowns or cycles.

JUST because freight is moving, it does not mean it is a good time to go in debt to 'cash in' but rather save the money (or straighten your finances up) in order to get a vehicle.

I agree 1 million percent. Buy a used van, Ford or Chevy they are cheap and plentiful, Sprinters are great if you have money not so great if your broke. Actually expediting as a whole is not so great if your broke.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steady, I would normally agree it is another thread but the problem is asking about funding to finance a problem in the making is not a good thing regardless.

Yep however, he is not going to get it out of his system until he finds out for sure. A dealership can run his credit, see what he can afford and if financable, put him in the right van. As I said, a 600 score is not really bad. I have sold cars with less and found someone to finance them. If he is over extended with a 600 score then he will find out that his quest is over. If he can get it, go for it! If I had not "went for it" I wouldn't be here doing it. All the post to newbes say don't do it. Can't understand why there is nothing posted to newbes in a positive light. We all started out new, in debt, and doughtful if we made the right choice. The OP ask where could he finance or lease a Sprinter- Go to a Dealership! They have tons of places to find financing. He will know the % rate, monthly note and then he can decide if he can make a go of it. Not us.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this sprinter van that i have is a lease vch from dodge
for 48 months traded my old van in on it

penske will only lease you a unit if you do a million dollars a year

don't more about ryder

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It's pretty damaged but I have been cleaning it up as best I can. I would say my score is in the 600 range but I haven't checked it recently (I am planning on checking it again this week).
With 600 go to a Chevy dealer that does fleet sales. They always have access to Cargo vans they will kiss the note on to get rid of them. Sprinters are nice but starting out with something with larger overhead is not the way to go.