Best Medium Duty Expediter

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Best truck for expediting? Freightliner, International, KW,PB,Hino,Sterling,Mack,etc.? Looking for reasonable power and economy running. I run pretty slow.

Big Al

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Medium duty, I would have to say the old Fl106 with the series 50 or the cummins 8.3 is about the best. Cheap and reliable. Some people like the internationals with the dt series motors but then your stuck going to international for parts and service. Big all tons of posts on this topic, do a search.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tried a search but maybe I am using the wrong words. Seem to get confusing answers, any suggestions?

Big Al

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Anything Freightliner and KW.

Why?

Because you can get parts for them all over the place with a few exceptions.

The best engine - anything other than a cat 3126. NOT because that is a bad engine but parts are starting to get hard to find and expensive.

Hino is one truck I would not get even though I was passed by one ... once.

Pete, Sterling are good trucks too.

Deville

Not a Member
If you can get your hands on a Mack or a PB that would be sweet. Not sure how much money your looking to spend. The Cat motors are hit & miss, some like them some hate them. Parts will be come harder to find down the road. Kenworth was still using Cat motors until Cat stopped making them. I go to a Kenworth dealer for alot of things that I need for my FL80. Just need the serial numbers & your good to go.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Driving a '04 FL M2 Business Class, very happy with it. Has the Mercedes 280 hp engine in it, but will maintain speed uphill with any load under 4500 lbs. Over that, it will drop some, but not terrible. Has Allison 6 speed auto. If I stay at 62mph, will get 10mpg. When I've pushed it to speed limits, worst I've gotten, with a 10k load, was 8.7. Average has been 9.7, overall.

Is it the best, probably not, but it works for me :)

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Looking for used?? I would go with a older 13 letter poo spreader 9600 cabover with a Cummins Big Cam III. Okay really, I would look for a newer Freightliner cabover class 8 and stretch the frame and drop a 28' box on it. Keep the tandem drives and add a pusher axle so you can gross 58k with it. Add a lift gate and you will be all set to make some money. And if you are solo go with a small sleeper and get ya a 32' box..

Just stay out of the land of fruits and nuts with my first option and you will be okay:D

Oh wait you want a medium duty, can't help ya there. Any reason you are looking at medium duty's??