Best Company for a single driver?

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Panther is good for teams.

What's the best conpany out there for a hard running single Tractor?

Landstar?
Express-1
Tristate?

Other?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If hard running is what you are looking for, maybe expediting is not for you.

HOS makes it tough for a solo. 99% of loads are straight through. There is almost no"run your hours out"and then continue on.

The companies you mention will not dispatch you if it can`t be done legal.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I'm sure there is someone on here who runs solo tractor and can tell you the ins and outs. As was said previously, HOS will limit you some. Doesn't mean it can't work though. Just figure that you will have to stay within about 650 mile load, unless it is Friday and dispatched for a Sunday or Monday delivery.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
When you say tractor do you mean trac/trlr. If so , I recently switched to E unit here at landstar and if the first three weeks are a early indication, it was a good move, The fees are there but the rates have way more than off-set them. Will keep you posted.:)

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
>When you say tractor do you mean trac/trlr. If so , I
>recently switched to E unit here at landstar and if the
>first three weeks are a early indication, it was a good
>move, The fees are there but the rates have way more than
>off-set them. Will keep you posted.:)

E unit, yes!

Fees? Like Qual comm, Insurances, Escrole?

How are the rates to the truck? Also don't you have to find your own loads, and don't the guys that have been there a while get spoonfed the big money freight?

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
>transtewart runs mainly solos.

How do they pay? Percentage or flat rate?

Do they micro manage the hours?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
true expedite is dificult for a single,as hos.and most of our loads go straight thru,no time fo 10 hr break.as landstar does both regular and expedite,as does panther.you might check with them.some at fedexcc say they do ok running solo,ive not been that lucky running solo,its hit or miss.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
There are many variables between each carrier when it comes to fees. I would suggest you contact each carrier interested in to get current fees charged.

Insurance fees depend on coverage you choose, year make and model of tractor/straight truck, extra equipment you choose to have covered such as generator...

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
>true expedite is dificult for a single,as hos.and most of
>our loads go straight thru,no time fo 10 hr break.as
>landstar does both regular and expedite,as does panther.you
>might check with them.some at fedexcc say they do ok running
>solo,ive not been that lucky running solo,its hit or miss.

I'm not looking for a campany that will shut you down or split the load if you go 5 minutes past your 10 hours.

I'm looking for company where a good running single can make a living!

I'm not saying we are looking to run multiple log books and break the rules...but with the electronic logs once you log yourself in and your 14 hours start, it really hurts your chances or making money if you don't get offered loads right away!

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
>There are many variables between each carrier when it comes
>to fees. I would suggest you contact each carrier interested
>in to get current fees charged.
>
>Insurance fees depend on coverage you choose, year make and
>model of tractor/straight truck, extra equipment you choose
>to have covered such as generator...

I'm not worried too much about fee's if there is loads available and a single driver can make some $$$$!

Does all the big companies like Lanstar and Fed Ex have electronic logs like Panther?

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
If the bragging comment was meant for me, sorry, just trying to give an early report on how it's going, which has been good BY MY standards.
Fees: 2290 fee for IRS for heavy veh tax over 56k pounds
Illinoise lic fee for 80k plate approx.$1650.00
Qualcomn is $25.00 a wk
All insurance is higher for E unit
Escrow is $1000.00 at LEAM
You don't have to find your loads here, we have agents that will hook you up, however, you can be proactive and call our agents and try to help the process. As far as anyone being spoonfed good loads. sure it happens. If you have done numerous loads for a particular agt and have done a good job in the past, I'm sure you would be considered before someone they didn't know. There are agts I won't pull for and probaly some who won't call me, but that's a good thing. Lie to me ONCE and I cross you out of the book, end of story. You may think someone else is being favored, but it may be something as simple as equiptment. I recall after I did 3 mos straight at FEMA (Katrina) and another D unit was complaining about no FEMA duty. I looked at his truck, no liftgate. I told him YOU need a liftgate for FEMA and he said I know but I don't want to put one on:) :) :) So yes, those of us with liftgates were available to be spoonfed, Duty that paid the trk $1100.00 per day

I like the Star, just re learning how to run legal with the new logging system. I run single and do run make a good living, but don't want to brag, so won't talk rates. Hope info helps......

Hey JOHN O hope you are having good day,. Terry out shopping with visiting sisters. Last chemo treatment in 2 wks. To those that know, wife was diagnoised with late stage lung cancer in July and given ZERO chance of survival, but chemo was started to extend her life 6-18 mos.. After a recent scan, her doc said tumor was at least 90% smaller and he used the miracle word several times. It's not gone yet, but at least we have some hope where before there was none. Thanks to all for the prayers, we belive. sorry for long post.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Sorry for the long post"?! When it's that good, I wish it were longer! Am very happy to hear some positive news, good for you and Mrs Greg! Have all my fingers & toes crossed that the news is just as good for John, too, who is also fighting the inhuman enemy of cancer. My best wishes to all who are fighting a battle that is most likely the most difficult they'll ever face, but is thankfully one that CAN be won sometimes. And a sweeter victory doesn't exist, IMO.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
No the bragging comment wasn't meant for you. I was referring to
the wad of money that nightcreature has as his avatar now..

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
o.k,duh, dumb me. Didn't even notice, now i'm trying to see the denominations in the flash roll,lol. Also, thanks Cheri for the kind words, you are right, I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>No the bragging comment wasn't meant for you. I was
>referring to
>the wad of money that nightcreature has as his avatar now..

It must be difficult going thru life without a sence of humor.the avatar isnt meant to have some subliminal message,but if you take it that way,oh well!

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Yes I am an O/O

I understand fee's are part of the biz, and the escarole etc. is there in case of any insurance claims etc. I am more concerned about revenue and load opportunities.

LEAM sounds like it may be a good opportunity, how does the whole agent thing work and getting loads?