Best companies to be leased on with.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Im about to cross dock with a c&m out of Painsville Ohio. Ive been told they have the most liberal independent program availible. According to the driver I met Sunday they let you run and run hard. No babysitting junk. Out of luck I caught a nice paying brokered round tripper off them returning south later tonight. Guess if I was looking they would be the kind of outfit id be interested in.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The Best company to lease on with is..........The Best company that best fits YOUR needs! for 1. keeping you busy.
2. treatment of drivers.
3. home time.
4. compensation, ie, paid loaded miles, paid dh miles, detention pay, stop off pay, hand
load/unload pay, etc, etc, etc..........
So that could be Load 1, T&K, FedEx, LEAM, Bolt, Express 1, Panther, C&M, Tri-State, Try Hours, All State Express, Nations Express, Towne Air Freight, ASAP, and many more companies I haven't listed but you get the idea!

*Oh I was not compensated the "$100.00" for listing any of these companies.....but John (Elliott) If and when I'm ready to come on the road fulltime as an expediter, I wanna join the Load 1 family.........lol

kjleibold

Active Expediter
I hope I get my 100 bucks for this post!!!! (Really Bill????)

I would go with the larger vehicle. The bigger the vehicle, the more load possibilities. Also make sure that you do not limit when or where you run.

I have one year experience driving short haul with class 8 truck. But now I have a shoulder condition where I cannot shift the truck without pain, so I need to drive an automatic.

What companies are using automatics?
Or should I just buy a used automatic and lease on with a carrier? I can buy a 25k truck with cash, as I am semi-retired but need to work 4 more years until pension kicks in.

I live in NW Tenn. I would prefer to work about half time....definitely not looking for full time.

Thanks.

panorris62

Seasoned Expediter
Since it will be my wife and I, I am not quite as concerned about home time whern we get home we get home. I concerned about how a company treats its people and if there is money to be made with them. I am a hard worker and do not like to sit around twiddling my thumbs.

I have not heard of one bad thing about Load One and I see that Mr. Elliot is actively involved with his expediting company. This seems like a great organization worth looking into.

marknolen

Active Expediter
We are not on the road as of yet. My wife and I are going out as a team. Our kids are raised, we are mid 50's, and we want to make as much money hauling freight as we can in a straight truck. The issue is what kind of straight truck is smart for the beginner, or in general? I read your post and I ask "anyone" to please answer. I read about stretched out trucks, I see there are 22' 24' 26' 28' cargo boxes. I read bigger is better, get a truck that set's you apart from the rest for the most load opportunities. I read Lift Gates are a good option, by some, not by others. I would like to post with the hope of getting more than one answer but many so that I can take all the information put it to paper then compare and see if I can come up with something in the way of common ground or what is average. Can anyone help me with this?
One last question. Regarding the economy and load opportunity averages. The economy changes direction these days like the wind it seems. Up, Down, Steady, etc.. No one seems to know what is coming these days. What you drivers that have been working the freight hauling business during this poor economy we live in know is what the average pay has been during all these up and down times. My wife and I are currently counting the costs to being and Owner Operator. Counting the cost is easy it seems. But knowing where the money is going to come from and how much to expect on average per week, month or year is another matter. Can some of you tell me what to expect in pay if we are willing to be out ther 24/7, weeks on end in the good times and bad? We are willing to work. Thanks for anything in the way of solid information you can give us. This is November 5th 2011. We want to go out on the road soon. We need a truck, we need advice. Please help. Thank you! Mark & Narcissa

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Mark,
If you have never been out OTR I would suggest that you start with a fleet owner first and not get your own until you learn the ropes. Financially speaking it is better to learn the biz on as little $ of yours as possible, most fleet owners work on a 60/40%. 60% going to whoever pays the fuel.
Income will depend on carrier and truck setup.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

tigerlily3

Seasoned Expediter
Look into TriState Expedites Services, Inc. I've been with the company now for 3 yrs as a team TT company driver. They are extremely busy and need S/T drivers (contractors) and O/Os. TriState is offering a sign on bonus.

Good Luck,
Tigerlily3

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have one year experience driving short haul with class 8 truck. But now I have a shoulder condition where I cannot shift the truck without pain, so I need to drive an automatic.

What companies are using automatics?

Few expediters drive company owned trucks - we're mostly independent contractors leased to a carrier, either as an O/O [owner/operator] or as a driver for an owner.

Or should I just buy a used automatic and lease on with a carrier? I can buy a 25k truck with cash, as I am semi-retired but need to work 4 more years until pension kicks in.

The standard advice to those unfamiliar with expediting is to drive for an owner first, making sure it's what you want to do long term before buying a truck. Expediting can be crazy: nothing for days, then rush for days, then waiting again. If you can't stand the wait/rush/wait cycles, [or can't keep yourself occupied for a few days at a time here & there], it won't be a good fit for you, and you could have to sell the truck at a loss.
I'd suggest trying to find an owner offering an automatic truck, and being upfront about how much you're willing to work, because the owner has bills to pay too - he may need someone to work more, or he may not, but be honest or it won't end well.
PS I'm in the same boat: my left knee hates shifting, even though the rest of me always liked it, so I drive an automatic too. :)

I live in NW Tenn. I would prefer to work about half time....definitely not looking for full time.

You might have to buy your own truck, but you still need to be honest about when and how much you wish to work - some carriers might have a problem with it, but others won't. Might as well find one that won't be demanding more than you want to give, and save headaches on both sides.

Thanks.

Monty

Expert Expediter
imho ....

This is not really a good time to enter expediting.

It's the 3rd quarter .... always slow ... winter is coming.

Why jump into a down market and rough travel times? Wait until next April/May, then take the plunge.

Since you plan on running a team, a Class 8, 3 axle, would be the only way to go ... why struggle with adding lift axles, etc .. and try to find one with a 20,000# front end.

As for the "best" company .. that is all subjective. I feel I have enough knowledge to make it at ANY carrier. The only reason I am with Landstar is I truly like the agent based system. It works well for me, and I plan to stay with it.

Now .. if I were to be making a move to a central dispatch, Load1 is the only one I would consider. I like the way they operate!

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
imho ....

This is not really a good time to enter expediting.

It's the 3rd quarter .... always slow ... winter is coming.

Why jump into a down market and rough travel times? Wait until next April/May, then take the plunge.

Since you plan on running a team, a Class 8, 3 axle, would be the only way to go ... why struggle with adding lift axles, etc .. and try to find one with a 20,000# front end.

As for the "best" company .. that is all subjective. I feel I have enough knowledge to make it at ANY carrier. The only reason I am with Landstar is I truly like the agent based system. It works well for me, and I plan to stay with it.

Now .. if I were to be making a move to a central dispatch, Load1 is the only one I would consider. I like the way they operate!

Good answer..I don't think there is an answer to this one..it has been asked many a time...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Load-1, Load-1 and Load-1.....is that $300.00?

If I took to heart what was said when I ask this question in 04, I would not be doing it today. Times were bad, winter, drive for someone before buying your own truck, etc. Good thing I found this site- was almost ready to sign on with the bottom of the bottom feeders of so called carriers. (All Types). Reading and contact different carriers, to see which one fits your life style. Reading the carrier fourms will give you some info, but, remember what works for some may not work for you. Team focused carriers should be investigated as they may meet your needs.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Load-1, Load-1 and Load-1.....is that $300.00?

If I took to heart what was said when I ask this question in 04, I would not be doing it today. Times were bad, winter, drive for someone before buying your own truck, etc. Good thing I found this site- was almost ready to sign on with the bottom of the bottom feeders of so called carriers. (All Types). Reading and contact different carriers, to see which one fits your life style. Reading the carrier fourms will give you some info, but, remember what works for some may not work for you. Team focused carriers should be investigated as they may meet your needs.

Off topic for sure...but I wanted to wish you and the family a Happy Thanksgiving!:)

moose

Veteran Expediter
. I'm gonna be scrapping all but two of my cargo van O/O's right now and just focus on my local business out of California and getting some tractor trailers leased on once me and my business partner lease some 53 foot trailers. !

Not to rock your boat, but
as you are probably well aware, finding good quality Cali. base O/O right now is ridiculously EZ,
thanks to CARB. & LB/LA ports.
finding the good paying freight to keep them busy might be the challenge.
normally we see small carriers having the freight 1st, then expanding it's fleet.
what i was seeing lately, in regards to Cali. outbonds, is that good paying shippers, are holding on to dedicated long term carriers/Logistics.
while board freight can hardly pay for the round trip fuel. those shippers know exactly whats going on, and will not shop for rates.
I'd say marketing is king.
Just my 2 C,
it'll be interesting to see what you come up with, all the best & good luck, let us know how it turns out.