Be careful

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
This is just a little "OVERTHINKING" it........Isn't it???????;)

Owner is 400 Miles away........

800 Miles round trip.....

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD SEND A WRECKER AFTER IT????

He can either go get it himself with a Buddy to drive it back.......at maybe a Cost of $200 MAXIMUM in Fuel for BOTH Vehicles........AND maybe 1 night in a Hotel Room at a cost of another $200 MAXIMUM for BOTH in their own rooms.

800 Miles CAN be done in 1 day though.......

So.....give that Buddy that $200 for his time.........

OR........he Could throw it up on UShip and have a Car Hauler or an LTL guy with a LowBoy grab it for .75 to $1.50 a mile for $300 to $600.

Hell.......if the Owner was just plain old Dead Reckoning on charging Hef $1800 to get the Van back to him......Hef should've just settled for a 2 way split and took it back himself for a $900 paycheck..............know what I mean.

And on another thought.........if this whole ordeal might AGGRAVATE the Owner for a full year after this 1 or 2 day ordeal getting his van back is over with.......said and done.......etc........then maybe Hef.......and ANYBODY ELSE that wants to drive for this owner.......is better off NOT Driving for this Owner in the first place......Period.

Hell.........if this such an ordeal for the owner where it would AGGRAVATE Him/Her for a YEAR......then they have NO Business being in BUSINESS for themselves whatsoever.........

Again......Know what I mean.............:p

You dont know what was in the contract. For example in my contract is $1000 fee for not returning van. If the driver does not want to return it ,he pays. So simple. Probably that owner had other things to do .He may cant travel 800 miles. He may cant leave his home town...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally I'd say the lesson might be to carefully read the contract before you sign and never drive for anyone without a contract and never sign a contract that hasn't been carefully reviewed.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A couple of stray thoughts: Don't do this business without a contract. That contract is all you have standing between you and getting ripped off with no recourse. It states, or should state, what is expected of the parties to the contract. It tells you on what basis you get paid and what the rate is that you can expect. Know what you are required to do to honor the contract and what the person/company you're contracting with is required to do.

The OP recommends running from anybody who has you sign a contract. Good luck with that, because that contract is what specifies that the company actually has to pay you for work performed.

One note from personal experience: Companies can change over time. I worked for a courier company for several years, when I first signed on it was with people who honored the contract they had with their drivers. When I left the company, the "contract" I was working under bore almost no resemblance to the document I signed those years earlier. I was paid a percentage, but at the end the percentage appeared to be whatever the company felt like on any given day and it was based on a rate that was, in itself, pure fiction designed to make money for the company at the expense of its drivers. I know for a fact that the percentage drifted from 55%, which is what I signed at the beginning, up to 57% for a brief period, then down to a region between 45 and 50 percent depending on which way the wind was blowing.

I made good money with that company for a time when it seemed to be running honest, but when I left you couldn't make money there if you had a printing press and a license from the government. They had lost any idea of what the contract was actually all about. So-- I would add here that you need to check who you're signing a contract with-- it could be important, so the driver gets paid what he's supposed to get paid--- and so the vehicle owner doesn't have to chase to the ends of the Earth to retrieve his vehicle--hoping it hasn't been trashed into the bargain.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sometimes, that contract can save your butt: an owner I once drove for was not able to pay for maintenance, then he couldn't pay me, so I drove the truck home, cleaned it, and let him know where it was, and where the keys were. He didn't much like having to drive 200 miles to get it, but he forgot what the contract said, lol.I offered to return it to where I picked it up, which was 600 miles, if he wanted to stick to the contract.
He decided it was OK to leave it where it was, after all. :D

Sent from my XT907 using EO Forums mobile app

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Both Great Responses.................

Wonder what the Gripe would have been if he DIDN'T sign a Contract and the Owner of the Van was suing him to get the $1800................

And.........not to "Help" hefner out here..........but IMO........$1800 to Retrieve a Van just 400 miles away is way to excessive of a Cost. I bet that Van NEVER brought in $1800 for an 800 mile run during it's time on the road "Expediting".........So why was the owner charging DOUBLE that over normal Expedite Rates for a CV.....even if it is a Sprinter???

Another Opinion...........there's more to the story over this $1800 than what's been shared here.......:rolleyes:

Was notice given? Usually a contract states notice is to be given, just as would be given on any other job, or the driver is responsible for the revenue the van is losing sitting empty waiting for another driver to be found. Which really is only fair. It takes time to find a replacement driver

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app