Battery Isolator

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm planning on adding an extra battery or two for a house bank. What size isolator will I need? My alternator is 160 amp so I am assuming I need this size or larger.

TonyD

Active Expediter
Large enough to handle the total combined amps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 150 amp alt, with a 200 amp isolator. Just replaced 2 deep cell's after 3 1/2 years.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used a solenoid style 200 amp isolator for my 165 amp alternator. Keyed it to not go on in the accessory key position, only connects in the key run position. Got it off eBay for $40-45.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm planning on adding an extra battery or two for a house bank. What size isolator will I need? My alternator is 160 amp so I am assuming I need this size or larger.
It just needs to be large enough to handle the amps the alternator feeds the batteries. The alternator will not likely ever feed the batteries more than 160 amps. The truck's systems will use part of the alternator's amps. But alternators often briefly (minutes) output more than their rating, which is the continuous duty rating. If you match the isolator to that of the alternator (as in - "this size or larger") then whatever the alternator puts out the isolator can handle, since the isolators are designed for higher output than their rating, as well. The rating of an isolator is the "max rating of the alternator."

So yeah, a 160 or 200 amp isolator is what you want.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
For those of us that almost have a grasp on what you're doing and why :) ... You're isolating your "house" batteries so they won't be used to start your vehicle but you DO want them to receive a charge from your alternator?

I'm asking because I'm seeing something like this in my future. I'm picturing a perfect night for parking - no hvac required, and yet "house" current for running a microwave and/or coffee pot would be a good thing.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Correct. The house battery will charge while the truck is running but not be used for starting. The starting batteries will not be drained by anything connected to the the house bank (inverter) while the truck is not running.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For those of us that almost have a grasp on what you're doing and why :) ... You're isolating your "house" batteries so they won't be used to start your vehicle but you DO want them to receive a charge from your alternator?

I'm asking because I'm seeing something like this in my future. I'm picturing a perfect night for parking - no hvac required, and yet "house" current for running a microwave and/or coffee pot would be a good thing.

Just to note you would most likely still idle the van when using a high draw item like a microwave.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because the APU would cost 20 grand.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Why isn't this type of battery used to power an all electric APU?

That's just it. They've been saying for years now that lithium ion drop-in replacement house batteries are just around the corner. And when we finally have them we won't need to run generators for hvac.

All that has to happen is the price needs to fall a little, like 70% or 80%. :)

In all seriousness though, once the price reaches about half it's current level there won't be the need to buy a Honda generator and keep filling it with gas.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Does it shorten the life of the alternator by adding more batteries? I don't thinks so, but just wondering.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Does it shorten the life of the alternator by adding more batteries? I don't thinks so, but just wondering.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

No not to my knowledge. But I am sure turtle will know for sure. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
That's just it. They've been saying for years now that lithium ion drop-in replacement house batteries are just around the corner. And when we finally have them we won't need to run generators for hvac.

All that has to happen is the price needs to fall a little, like 70% or 80%. :)

In all seriousness though, once the price reaches about half it's current level there won't be the need to buy a Honda generator and keep filling it with gas.

I read somewhere that lithium is predicted to be a over demanded, under supplied item in the near future as more and more power comes from lithium ion batteries. Lithium as a earthen product is not abundant and is found under dry salt lakes or some such nonsense. I don't see lithium dropping in price any time soon.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think it would shorten the life of an alternator because it must charge two or more batteries instead of one. I just replaced my Napa 145 amp alternator on my van. It charges the starting battery and two auxiliary batteries. This one lasted about 98,000 miles.