Bad Bad Laundry Day

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well I had a really nasty accident this morning in Oak Grove WI!! Started out as a nice cool sunny day, left Bob sleeping, took in all my laundry and promptly threw my jacket in the washer with my dark cloths. The jacket was not meant to go into the washer as it had my cell phone and our practically new IPOD in the pocket! By the time I grabbed them out both where slightly wet. Enough to ruin my Cingular phone and also my IPOD. I have found out that neither appreciate getting wet! I bought the accident policy on my IPOD so will send that in but will just have to replace my phone. What a way to start a Sunday! No way but up from here though.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
How awful! What a nightmare! Hope you weren't expecting any important calls on your phone! You can probably still get your messages by using one of the other phones and calling your voice mail until you get a new phone.
When I was working in an office one of our techs had her pager hooked on her pants and she went in to use the ladies room and dropped the pager in the toilet! Then she had to report the "damage" to her pager. We teased her forever about that pager. She received her new one inside a roll of toilet tissue. india

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That is something I would do.

Until about a year ago. My wife has CHEWED my rear about stuff in the pockets, I not only check when I undress but once again before washing. Now it works

DOUBLE CHECKING THAT IS.

Now most of you know I have 15 years expierence in the cleaning business? Think I would know how to dry items?

I did also.

Take the time, go find a Laundry Matt. The Water Extractor is a great investment for the change. I now dry everything on Perminant Press, and shirts do not need to be Ironed.

Takes longer, but does not kill the fabric either like heat does. I could not believe the resulsts from my mistake, but a good mistake. Everything including my Sheets looked like they had been well half as ssss ironed. A iron does look better but for being out on the road with a nice looking button down shirt with no wrinkles. Happy guy I am.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've never left anything as large as a phone in my pockets, but I've sure melted a lot of Chapsticks, lol. What I do now is, when I've checked the pockets, I button the waistband of my pants, so I know the pockets are empty. Now I don't melt any Chapsticks, just lose them...:+

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are not alone. In fact, I can't think of much that I haven't ran through the washer by accident at least a time or two.
I wish everything would be waterproof!

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
I can tell ya for at least my phones i washed them and then somehow still missed it when putting clothes into dryer and then dried the darn thing

3 days later it turned on and had a few lines in screen 3 weeks later lines went away and you know what the thing STILL works

so try it in a few days and just see

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well I waited 24 hours and plugged the IPOD in and my gosh the thing is working. Everything appears to be fine. They did not actually get washed as soon as I realized I had put my jacket in the washer by mistake I pulled it out! They did get wet though. My phone will do nothing we have plugged it in, took the battery out and put it back in and the phone will not come on. I believe we will keep trying because as of yet we have been in Canada and have not been back to the states to get to a store.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
I have found that usually the accident insurance for phones etc... will not cover water damage, which is entirely bogus in my opinion. When I buy Laptops now I buy Toshiba's because they have an extended warranty that covers ANYTHING...including the qc being dropped on the screen......it is not expensive either...Pet peeve is the places like Best Buy that offer extended warranties, you have to send something off and wait for it to come back....Toshiba sends repair person to you no matter where you are...much better for us.

-Charlotte

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Family Dell has the same thing: Anything all I gotta do is bring back the thing in pieces and its replaced, just in case it fell in the water first.......

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Charlotte?

The qualcomm dropped on the screen? Sounds like a story there..LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When any device is accidentally immersed in water,sometimes they can be saved by.

1. Remove the battery (Do not attempt to turn on.
2. Dry for several days in a warm place. I make a "chicken brooder" using a electric light bulb as a heat source. I think a heating pad would also work.
2. reinsert battery,turn on and pray.

Note many devices have a detector inside that will tell the tech if its been in water,therefore voiding the warranty.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
lol...no story..well not much. we had one of our best teams with a laptop....2 day old laptop we had just gotten for them. They were struggling with where to put it when they got a qc load offer..so they set the laptop on the floor of the truck...read the qc message and left the qc on the passenger seat. Hit a bump..down went qc and broke the screen in half. That was whenw e decided to get the extra protection from the toshiba warranties :p

-charlotte

Pappy

Expert Expediter
And now the brighter side!

Your name was not in the Obituaries column in the news paper that day!
And--- since you did'nt mention anything about it---I'll safely assume you were'nt having a BAD HAIR DAY!

Pappy

;)

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
If I am not mistaken you should be able to pull the SIM card out of your wet phone and install it in any other phone and you will have your phone service. I don't think the water would have affected the SIM card.
This is the reason I always carry one of my old phones with me.

Hope this helps.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You are right the simm card was fine! We finally where able to get by a Cingular store and replaced the phone. It would be a really good idea to carry a back up of your main phone. Luckily this phone was just for family and friends which is why we missed it so bad.
We now have our phone and IPOD back so now I wonder what new predicament I can get us into!!