Backhaul Blues

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Well I just last night got back home from a run to the Detroit area. I am presently leased to Dynamex in Baltimore and they could not find me *anything* in the way of a back haul. So I am wondering what if any options I would have to find a return load. Does anybody 'trip lease' freight these days? Or am I just stuck with loads of deadheading if I stay here with DX?

--
Mike N

truckerbuddy

Seasoned Expediter
i am not sure on how much money you make there but if you cant find a load in the MI area with your company you might look into another expiter for your loads. I never sit more then 6 hours before i get my next load out of Detroit. just my 2 cents thats all

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
should find out what there is as to in and outs of company and will they allow you to find something on your own as you have to cover by ins if something happen's and your not covered could have lots of legal issue you don't to have and cost more money than it worth

raceman

Veteran Expediter
You should get something going out of there very quick. I am like the others and would say my trucks don't set there more than a few hours. Hell we haul furniture and hospital beds into your home area. It really does not matter what we all do or think when you are trying to get home and have no freight. I just think that may be an indication your carrier is not to well connected. It may also mean I have no idea what there main business is and my input is not helping at all. :) Sorry I am waiting on one of my trucks to come in for new permits and he loaded five hours later than he was supposed to. That means my night is somewhat screwed up and I am bored in the mean time. Best of luck man and Happy New Year.

The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Can you find your own freight and run with their permits? If so you can get on the internet and find some low paying stuff. It would atleast help with fuel if anything is out there.

The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I don't know if DX would like that much. Anyways I'm still trying to find a new fit since the dedicated work I used to do went away at DX.

--
Mike N

**Hey 6 your email through EO is b0rken. Shoot me a good email address please.**

trhoades

Expert Expediter
The auto plants have been shut down for almost 2 weeks, so I would imagine that that is why your not getting anything out. They effect alot of suppliers in the area. You have to wait till monday for a decent load.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Check with your carrier and see what their plan allows in terms of you finding your own freight. Some places allow you to do this and they get a percentage. It rarely makes since to use this option but at time it will get you out of a bad place or home on someone elses dime.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Here are some more blues... runs to the east coast where the dispatch says, "freight is hopping out of the east." My driver gets there and it's all dead. Then, he tells them the Monday before Christmas he needs to be home on Wednesday. Well, he gets to Nashville and they offer him a load to Ft.Smith, AR. He reminds them of his need to be home, and he's PROMISED they'll find him something out of there.

When he told me that, I bout crapped. Now, instead of 550 miles from home, he's 1050 miles from home. What I'm getting to is this about backhauls... dispatchers are worried about a one-way trip, pure and simple. After that, they've done their job, you've done your job, and the rest is up to the driver to get back while there's still a couple of days left in the week to run at all.

T-hawk

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>What I'm getting
>to is this about backhauls... dispatchers are worried about
>a one-way trip, pure and simple. After that, they've done
>their job, you've done your job, and the rest is up to the
>driver to get back while there's still a couple of days left
>in the week to run at all.

T-Hawk you have hit the nail square on the head!

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Well I just last night got back home from a run to the
>Detroit area. I am presently leased to Dynamex in Baltimore
>and they could not find me *anything* in the way of a back
>haul. So I am wondering what if any options I would have to
>find a return load. Does anybody 'trip lease' freight these
>days? Or am I just stuck with loads of deadheading if I stay
>here with DX?
>
>--
>Mike N

I'm only guessing, but it could very well be that Dynamex in Baltimore has no contacts for freight sources outside their area.
Is Dynamex locally run with most of their business being local?
Is each station more like an agency than a corporate branch?
I think that is one advantage of the larger although more impersonal national carriers. They have freight in most areas. Theoretically (did I spell that right?) that should mean fewer and shorter deadheads.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>I'm only guessing, but it could very well be that Dynamex in
>Baltimore has no contacts for freight sources outside their
>area.

This is typically so.

>Is Dynamex locally run with most of their business being
>local?

So far it seems that way.

>Is each station more like an agency than a corporate branch?

Again this is how it seems even though each location is called a 'branch'.

>I think that is one advantage of the larger although more
>impersonal national carriers. They have freight in most
>areas. Theoretically (did I spell that right?) that should
>mean fewer and shorter deadheads.

I'll have to agree with you here as well. DX is BIG but they really seem to be run like little fifedoms. I called the Columbus dispatch desk and once again they told me they had nothing to connect me with. This is the same story *every* time I go out to Ohio etc.

I was told I could call into *any* DX branch and seek return freight. I get the feeling they are only interested in feeding their (local) trucks.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.