Back on the road??

barbara6410

Expert Expediter
Hmmm.. I am currently not driving otr. I drove straight truck in the past and am now driving for a local county transit (busses). I am always thinking about being in the road. I enjoyed it very much. My co driver had quit on me , thus I lost my job because the owner only wanted teams. Am I only dreaming or should I look into getting back on the road? The issues I have are, I have 2 grown kids and 3 young 3,6,7 year old grandkids that I see on Saturdays overnight. I am torn. Thoughts , anyone?? How do you drivers who have this type of dilemma handle this? Thanks.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.......I am always thinking about being in the road. I enjoyed it very much....The issues I have are, I have 2 grown kids and 3 young 3,6,7 year old grandkids that I see on Saturdays overnight. I am torn.

What do you want for yourself?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm.. I am currently not driving otr. I drove straight truck in the past and am now driving for a local county transit (busses). I am always thinking about being in the road. I enjoyed it very much. My co driver had quit on me , thus I lost my job because the owner only wanted teams. Am I only dreaming or should I look into getting back on the road? The issues I have are, I have 2 grown kids and 3 young 3,6,7 year old grandkids that I see on Saturdays overnight. I am torn. Thoughts , anyone?? How do you drivers who have this type of dilemma handle this? Thanks.

We go driving, of course.:D

One thing you could check out, is going OTR. There are companies that'll get you home regularly, depending on where home is. I find that even tho the trucks are much bigger, the stress is a lot less than expedite. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion.

Another option is to go local. In a straight, you already have the experience. In a t/t, you'd likely need a year or so.

Reactions: barbara6410

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you live near a large airport that handles a lot of air freight, you might be able to find a local carrier that does courier work within a 100 mile radius. For instance, in Nashville DMW has drivers that stay in the middle TN area with very few overnights and still get a fair amount of miles.

Reactions: vandriver2

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Flip a coin to determine. Heads OTR, Tails stay home. At the moment the coin lands and reveals the answer, see if you have a moment of disappointment. Then you will know the answer that is already inside you.

That is DEEP Paul. I like it

Imagine this, next debate we put 'em on stage and one by one the moderator flips a coin, tails =stay, heads=go, but to keep it fair, if the audience cheers the flip stands, if they jeer candidate gets a second flip.

BARBARA, I got good advice from this site to help me make up my mind. In a couple days the answer will come to you, but, here's my 2 cents: If you want to be on the road, home on most weekends AND don't need to make big bucks then it might work. If you need to make a good steady income you will need to give up many weekends. Of course it also depends on if you live in mid-America. Location, Location, Location. Also, and this is only opinion and I offer it with caution. If you plan get in as a driver for an owner and split the pay it will be rough to make a decent wage! IMHO

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is DEEP Paul. I like it
Paul is a former grasshopper. He learned well.

Caine_and_Master_Po.jpg

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I just got home to Dayton, OH 30 mins ago...I'll be here until the Saturday when I head to NY to get into the 2015 388 Peterbilt Car Hauler...

Reactions: barbara6410

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am in the Columbus Ohio area
In OH you should have all kinds of options - lots of business and carriers. You also might check out contractors that have routes hauling mail in straight trucks. With a little research you should find something that would be a fit, but also make sure to do your due diligence on the carrier/contractor. There are some bad apples out there.

barbara6410

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your ideas Pilgrim, i didnt know there were mail deliverers that used straight trucks... Wonder where I can find that info at around Ohio?

Hazardous

New Recruit
Driver
My wife and I drive Truck load OTR... Not the best for home time...1 day home for every week out, minimum of two weeks. One option a few of my friends have done is regional. Most of them are home more than weekly. Doing 10hr resets at home, some over night but are usually home on weekend. They still bring in good money and are solos. This is with Schneider.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don't need a lot of income, then try Uber or something like delivering medical supplies. Driving a small van for a hospital may have you running to Cincinati or Cleveland once or twice a week. These don't pay big $$$ but they are not too bad. Sometimes places like Lab Quest or Lab Core have daily or nightly runs and they provide the vehicle, insurance, etc.. If you could get full time you might even get insurance. I hope you find something that lets you enjoy your family. The times that you remember most have more to do with family than the money you make.