Avoid This Stretch of U.S. 40 in Pennsylvania

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are headed to certain points west out of Maryland, our carrier's routing software will send you onto U.S. 40 in Pennsylvania, if you choose to follow the routing. Key words, "choose to follow." Diane and I did so for the first time last week. It will aslo be the last time. Photos and details in my March 4 blog entry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil, I am MORE than aware of that stretch of mountain. My family is from Uniontown, near the bottom. One town over from Hopwood PA which is at the bottom. I NEVER use that routing even though it is 100% better than it was when I was learning how to drive. I was raised in Michigan but my dad, mom were from there. I cut my driving teeth on that road. Back then it was one lane in each direction and, when headed west, it dumped you right in the town of Hopwood. Many truckers were killed on that road prior to the fix that is in place now. You are correct to warn everyone away from that part of I40. It can kill. There was one story that my family used to talk about when a logging truck lost it's brakes comming down that mountain. It came barrelling into Hopwood with no chance of getting stopped. His lives and many towns peoples lives were in danger. The local town cop put his cruiser, the only one the town had, in front of the truck and then used his car to brake the logging truck. The cruiser was totalled, the cop and truck driver un-hurt. Those days are gone thanks to the by-pass that went in maybe 20 years ago. It is STILL very dangerous, STAY AWAY!! Layoutshooter

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive been running that section of PA highway for many many years.In the 70's when I drove a company truck,(no jake brake and small motor),company would'nt pay tolls we ahd to run rt 40 and then route 48,now I 68.Yes,this routing can be very dangerous,especially in the winter.Also depending how much weight you are hauling.Its like riding a motorcycle,if you dont respect the bike,your going to get hurt.Not to change the subject,but if you think 40 is bad in PA.dont even t hink about going over Wolf Creek Pass i Colorado

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My favorite pass in the nation is Rock Reef Pass in Florida; elevation three feet. :)

rock_reef_pass.jpg

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Steve we used to live near Wolf Creek Pass and in the winter I cannot imagine running that stretch of road. There are several awesome ski places on that road. You do know they finally made the road wider? For awhile you had to do the darn thing on dirt roads.

We had a friend who hauled a load of cattle over that pass at night and he said it was just no big deal and he just sailed over it. The next day in the daylight he said he felt like a little grandma as the mountain scared him so bad. He also mentions never again as long as he lives will he do that stretch of road.

Interesting that you have done the pass as it is really not on to many beaten paths but it is in the high rent district of Colorado.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Type "Colorado Wolf Creek Pass" into Google Maps. Diane and I have never been there with a truck and by the looks of the terrain (click the terrain link on Google Maps and zoom out), that is a good thing. Looks wicked.

Last edited: