Average inside Length of cargo space

Archer

Active Expediter
My contract is about up with the company I haul for. I'm looking at a new vehicle to work with. So any information on cargo space after the vehicle is setup with custom sleep area. Which van has the longest cargo length and lightest dry weights that's available? I would like to plate at 10,000 lbs. What fuel tank options are there in this category.

I'll be doing a lot of fishing on this subject, to see if this would work out.

May have to stretch out one of my one tons with a box but that will put me over the 10,000 lbs mark.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Average length of a cargo van is somewhere between 8' and 16'. Pick a number, any number. What is more important for you, cargo length or weight capacity? The longest van most likely isn't the lightest van. The longest one piece van is the new long and tall Sprinter 2500. It lists a payload capacity of 2,873 pounds. Add a driver, fuel, plywood floor, E-track, insulation, a bed, a battery or two and a toothbrush and now you are down to around 2000 pounds payload.

Something like a CargoMax or Spartan cube on a 1 ton chassis will give you about 12 to 14 feet of cargo length and may give you more payload.

I would like to plate at 10,000 lbs. What fuel tank options are there in this category.
Don't confuse "plating" with GVWR. Many states will issue a plate with a weight over 10,000 pounds, but that doesn't mean you can legally haul that much or that you would be subject to CMV regulations.

Archer

Active Expediter
What is more important for you, cargo length or weight capacity?

Looking for 10-12 ft length of cargo space , 2,000 lbs for cargo weight while keeping the unit with cargo under 10,000 lbs.

Don't confuse "plating" with GVWR. Many states will issue a plate with a weight over 10,000 pounds, but that doesn't mean you can legally haul that much or that you would be subject to CMV regulations.

I'm not confuse with GVWR or CMV regulations, almost 40 years in this game It's just time for a change, and going to step away from a lot of the crap that comes with running over 10,000 lbs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The ultimate BMI.
Will van owners choose the 120 lb applicant over the 220 lb applicant ?

Sounds like margins are tight.

Archer

Active Expediter
At this moment in time, the 9900 pound, dual wheel version of the Sprinter van, (3500), is the longest, with the most freight capacity. You can affect the real world limits of that by custom built in sleepers and additional equipment onboard.

Sprinter Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 170" WB Specifications

I like the 2500 high roof 170 WB I would need to pull a tape on this to see if it would work with a 40" area behind the seats for the sleeper I would like a larger fuel tank, buy cheap run long.170" WB Ext
170" WB Ext

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 170" WB Sprinter lists 185" floor length. If 12' (144") for cargo works for you then this Sprinter should fit the bill. It gives you 40" for a sleeper, 144" for cargo and 1" to play with, provided you can add the extras I mentioned in post #2 for under 873 pounds.

Archer

Active Expediter
The 170" WB Sprinter lists 185" floor length. If 12' (144") for cargo works for you then this Sprinter should fit the bill. It gives you 40" for a sleeper, 144" for cargo and 1" to play with, provided you can add the extras I mentioned in post #2 for under 873 pounds.

This is what I wanted to know, thank you.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Depending on tire brand and store your looking at an extra $400 for those 2 extra tires which makes a srw look mighy good.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Dan, I can think of several reasons not to buy the 3500, tire cost isn't one of them. Over the life of those two additional tires, increased revenues with the extra weight could buy dozens more tires.

The major cost of a 3500 vs a 2500 would be having the wheel wells modified for pallets. And that cost would only add $1500,00, or so, to the original pricing.

Increased repair costs are most important, but you have that with a 2500 also.

Remembering that the Sprinter demands synthetic oil, it costs more to change it, but it only needs it every 10,000 miles, so that becomes kinda moot also.

Since I am no longer expediting my thoughts would be "if" I was going back to it, I would wait until Nissan brings the "big boy" to the market. I like that van.

Nissan NV Cargo Lineup | 2013 NV2500 & NV3500 Work Vans