At least she's not on the jury...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think there is quite a few that think that way. As for this case, the whole thing is about race.
As of right now, I not so sure he will be convicted. From what I have seen, it is all circumstantial.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Really, Dave? Martin "shouldn't have been walking outside after dark"?

It is all down to credibility, as there are no real witnesses, and those who saw or heard some of it disagree.
For my money, Zimmerman's credibility is zilch.
And, not that it's exactly relevant, really, but I admire the attitude of Martin's parents, who are behaving with amazing grace. [More than I think I could scrape up in those circs] Zimmerman's family is all about how hard it is for them. Then they ask for donations.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Martins parents aren't the ones with bail or huge legal bills. Not sure about the acting with grace part. Not unlike the oj trials people are taking sides more for race than most things.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Really, Dave? Martin "shouldn't have been walking outside after dark"?

It is all down to credibility, as there are no real witnesses, and those who saw or heard some of it disagree.
For my money, Zimmerman's credibility is zilch.
And, not that it's exactly relevant, really, but I admire the attitude of Martin's parents, who are behaving with amazing grace. [More than I think I could scrape up in those circs] Zimmerman's family is all about how hard it is for them. Then they ask for donations.

Yes.... a lot of people think that way. I didn't say I agree with it but I do acknowledge that is how some are. That would apply to both races. No different than a black gang member gunning down a white person and saying "they shouldn't have been in this neighborhood".
As for credibility, Zimmerman may not have any. That by itself doesn't determine guilt in a murder trail.
Right now I see no proof of anything.
As for cashing in....might want to check the Martin family out. Seem to be chasing the cash in style.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Martins parents aren't the ones with bail or huge legal bills. Not sure about the acting with grace part. Not unlike the oj trials people are taking sides more for race than most things.

Zimmerman's need for bail [twice, because he was rearrested after getting caught lying about his assets the first time he was bailed] is entirely his own fault.
You don't see the grace in the Martins' request for calm, and justice? BTW: with all the demonstrations so far, not one law has been broken. That's progress, and it's mainly due to the Martins' behavior.
If it's about race, that too was Zimmerman's choice. Any idea how many times he called 911 for 'suspicious' people? Who just happened to be black, in every single case? And in this case, he was clearly wrong when he reported that Martin "is up to no good".
Like the woman whose comment ended the article I linked, Zimmerman thought Martin had no right to be out walking around
. But whether you accept Martin's girlfriend's version of the confrontation, in which Martin asked "Why are you following me?" and Zimmerman replied "Why are you walking around here?" or Zimmerman's version, in which Martin asked "You got a problem?" and Zimmerman replied "No" - Zimmerman didn't have the guts [or decency] to explain why he was following Martin.
If I were in Martin's place, I wouldn't have behaved in a submissive fashion myself. Would you?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A white woman strolling along Sanford's Lake Monroe who gave her name as Eileen, but did not want to give a surname, said racism should not have come into the case. “I think both parties were wrong,” she said, adding that Zimmerman should not have pursued Martin, but that Martin should not have been out walking after dark.
Notice that this is the only paragraph in the article that identifies the race of the person being quoted. Did they interview only random white people on the street, or did they include an equal number of blacks and latinos? Was this white woman the only one that made a stupid comment, or were there similar comments made by individuals of other races that were left out? This article is typical of the inflammatory racist reporting that has turned this case into such a quagmire.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Up to this point, no one really knows who the aggressor was. There in lies the problem. Or at least at this point unless something comes out in that trail that hasn't so far.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well so much for the martins not going after money.

Trayvon Martin?s Parents Settle Wrongful Death Claim with Florida Subdivision

Yep, they filed a lawsuit. Against the Homeowners Association that allowed Zimmerman to act as Neighborhood Watch on their [the HOA's] behalf and with their approval & promotion. [But without any sanction from the actual NW organization, or oversight]. NW volunteers aren't supposed to do anything more than observe & report - and they are absolutely not supposed to be armed.

While Zimmerman was posting an appeal for money [and trying to hide it from the law], Martin's family asked only for people to be calm, and let the law run it's course. O - and they buried their son with their own money.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zimmerman's need for bail [twice, because he was rearrested after getting caught lying about his assets the first time he was bailed] is entirely his own fault.
You don't see the grace in the Martins' request for calm, and justice? BTW: with all the demonstrations so far, not one law has been broken. That's progress, and it's mainly due to the Martins' behavior.
If it's about race, that too was Zimmerman's choice. Any idea how many times he called 911 for 'suspicious' people? Who just happened to be black, in every single case? And in this case, he was clearly wrong when he reported that Martin "is up to no good".
Like the woman whose comment ended the article I linked, Zimmerman thought Martin had no right to be out walking around
. But whether you accept Martin's girlfriend's version of the confrontation, in which Martin asked "Why are you following me?" and Zimmerman replied "Why are you walking around here?" or Zimmerman's version, in which Martin asked "You got a problem?" and Zimmerman replied "No" - Zimmerman didn't have the guts [or decency] to explain why he was following Martin.
If I were in Martin's place, I wouldn't have behaved in a submissive fashion myself. Would you?

There is zero way to prove evrytime he called in it was black people. As to the girlfriend I guess that depends which story she told you choose to believe.

Depends on what you mean buy submissive as many accounts seem to point to Zimmerman was back at his vehicle when approached and attacked by martin.

If it was not for the press and a prosecuter wanting to look good there would have been no bail and no trial so the lie would have never happened.

I have to ask how you can state Zimmerman was clearly wrong when he said martin was up to no good. Again two stories nothing proven. Your statement is personal assumption.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I would like to know Eileen's age... because I think the way that comment was meant, depends on her age. My mother was of the mind that you came home at dark. She didn't even like me working after dark, because 'decent people had no business out after dark!" LOL She grew up on a farm in KY, and in her mind, only troublemakers should be out after dark.

If this was an older person, it may be a completely innocent remark.

Dale

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, they filed a lawsuit. Against the Homeowners Association that allowed Zimmerman to act as Neighborhood Watch on their [the HOA's] behalf and with their approval & promotion. [But without any sanction from the actual NW organization, or oversight]. NW volunteers aren't supposed to do anything more than observe & report - and they are absolutely not supposed to be armed.

While Zimmerman was posting an appeal for money [and trying to hide it from the law], Martin's family asked only for people to be calm, and let the law run it's course. O - and they buried their son with their own money.

And you know it was their own money how?

piattteam

Active Expediter
Sounds as if cheri has her mind made up already. Hmmm, maybe it is a good thing cheri isn't on the jury either!!

piattteam

Active Expediter
So, how do we know the HOA KNEW Zimmerman was armed? How do we KNOW the HOA knew Zimmermann wasn't going to only follow and report. How do we KNOW Zimmerman approached the sweet, innocent, non dope smoking, non school disciplinary problem, non gun toting, non troublemaking golden child and the boy didn't attack Zimmerman, requiring him to act in self defense? Oh, and if there isn't any dam.ing evidence on Martin's cell phone/ facebook postings, why can't the jury see them??

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is zero way to prove evrytime he called in it was black people. As to the girlfriend I guess that depends which story she told you choose to believe.

Oh, but there is a way to prove it: every call to 911 is recorded. And every time Z called about a suspicious person, that person was black.
The girlfriend told only one story about the last thing she heard on the phone - unlike Z's version of the event, her story never changed.

Depends on what you mean buy submissive as many accounts seem to point to Zimmerman was back at his vehicle when approached and attacked by martin.

The actual photos of the scene prove otherwise - at least, as to location. They were not even close to Z's truck.

If it was not for the press and a prosecuter wanting to look good there would have been no bail and no trial so the lie would have never happened.

The original LEO on scene recommended arresting Z [maybe because Z claimed he shot after Martin covered his nose & mouth, which made Z fear for his life, except that he already had a bloody nose and there was no blood on Martin's hands. Ooops - change that story!] but he was overruled.
Not saying it's because Zimmerman's father is a retired LEO himself, but who knows?

I have to ask how you can state Zimmerman was clearly wrong when he said martin was up to no good. Again two stories nothing proven. Your statement is personal assumption.

Martin was walking back to his father's fiancee's place, bringing the Skittles for his brother, talking on the phone to his gf - what on earth was wrong with that? Zimmerman is recorded telling the 911 operator that "these punks always get away!" which shows pretty clearly that he made an assumption, and it was wrong.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another aspect of sorry reporting by all the news outlets is the photos of Martin that have been shown throughout the case. Nearly all of them were taken when it appears he was about 12-14 yrs old - before the tats, the grille, etc. At the time of this altercation he was 17 yrs old, 6' tall and 160 lbs. At night he would be physically threatening to any normal person. Of course we don't want to talk about his problems at school, drug use, possible gang affiliation, etc. It might very well turn out that evidence in the trial will reveal that he was nothing more than a common street punk.

Change of Subject: Trayvon Martin shooting death -- initial police reports and '911' call transcript

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Oh, but there is a way to prove it: every call to 911 is recorded. And every time Z called about a suspicious person, that person was black.
The girlfriend told only one story about the last thing she heard on the phone - unlike Z's version of the event, her story never changed.

The actual photos of the scene prove otherwise - at least, as to location. They were not even close to Z's truck.

The original LEO on scene recommended arresting Z [maybe because Z claimed he shot after Martin covered his nose & mouth, which made Z fear for his life, except that he already had a bloody nose and there was no blood on Martin's hands. Ooops - change that story!] but he was overruled.
Not saying it's because Zimmerman's father is a retired LEO himself, but who knows?

Martin was walking back to his father's fiancee's place, bringing the Skittles for his brother, talking on the phone to his gf - what on earth was wrong with that? Zimmerman is recorded telling the 911 operator that "these punks always get away!" which shows pretty clearly that he made an assumption, and it was wrong.

Cheri IMHO as you often do you are reading one side of a story and taking it in hook line and sinker

Seems our good little gf has some credibility problems of her own.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/06/prosecutors-admit-trayvon-martins-girlfriend-lied-under-oath/

It is also a proven fact race was not mentioned until the 911 operator asked about it. So your saying you have listened to every 911 call Zimmerman made or where exactly are you getting this bit of info?

The medical records from the hospital tend to lean towards Zimmerman's story.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=cbsthismorning&catid=57435247&feed_id=30

Last edited: