At 7:39 this morning

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
The trans from a dealer is usually new. The Jasper and Silverstar are remans. The weak link in sprinter trannys is the torque converter. Debris from the converter plugs the filter and the computer goes into limp in and the engine will flare.

The tranny case is completely sealed and can be tested using a special tool and an air pressure gauge. You increase the air pressure gradually and listen for the gears to shift. If you hear the all the shifts, the gear train is intact. You then flush the trans to verify there are no excessive metal shavings present. Some shavings are normal. If the flush results are good, you put a torque converter on and you're done.

How do I know this? 30 years with a wrench in my hand, 10 yrs of it rebuilding Allison trannys on transit buses, 20 in Chrysler dealerships with tech training classes on sprinters.

My three sprinters have 500 to 600k on them and they all have the original trannys in them. Two of them have had the TC replaced. Total cost of a TC replacement was $800 parts and labor.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

January of this year the price of torque convertors and transmissions went up. Torque convertor with installation 2k. Ours was just the torque converter. The price of a whole new transmission with tc was 1995 plus 249 for shipping and then installation. Kind of made sense to get a whole new one.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The expiring without warning is what would make me mental.

Any trans can go without warning. My Ford went out like that. Got off the expressway and stopped, all good. Then I pulled away and... Uh-oh...

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
January of this year the price of torque convertors and transmissions went up. Torque convertor with installation 2k. Ours was just the torque converter. The price of a whole new transmission with tc was 1995 plus 249 for shipping and then installation. Kind of made sense to get a whole new one.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

I agree with your decision given the situation you guys were in. The $800 I mentioned was the one I replaced right after Christmas. Reman TC cost was $350. The rest was labor.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So basically you can replace the tranny twice for the cost of one Jasper.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
10K-8K-6K and a buck a mile. Makes you wonder why people are afraid to buy them.:)
I once replaced a tranny with a Jasper, it lasted two weeks and never got my money back even after paying for the best warranty.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The average lifespan of a Sprinter transmission is between 300,000 and 350,000 miles. Some go much longer, some crap out at 200,000. Mine went at 372,000. The Harrisburg Freightliner wanted $6400, plus installation for a new one (all the new ones not replaced under warranty are MB remans, same as the engines), and that one didn't even include the torque converter, which would be extra. The Jasper was $6200 plus a $2000 core charge.

The Harrisburg Freightliner wouldn't install the Silverstar without them ordering it through their Parts Department and then marking it up like a regular part, which would have been $4200, plus, they said, 12 hours labor to install it. I towed it home and had my regular mechanic order and install it. It was $2500 including labor. Took them 4 hours to install it.

The Silverstar transmissions, like the Japsers, are remanufactured to be upgraded to fix flaws, and in the case of Silverstars, are upgraded to a more heavy duty transmission, as well, with new and different friction parts. The new friction parts require a different fluid with different friction modifiers. The reman comes with fluid specially made for Silverstar by BG. It's expensive and hard to get, but you can use the regular Mopar or Shell ATF 134 or Shell ATF 3353 and also use a can of BG ATC Plus with the fluid change (most of the dealer Mopar or MB transmission kits actually come with 2 cans of BG now).

Very important. In order to preserve the Silverstar warranty, the transmission fluid needs to be changed at 30,000 miles. When you change it, use a can of BG, and then at around 15,000 to 20,000 or so, if you feel any shudder especially between 3rd and 4th gear while accelerating, like on an on-ramp, add the other can to replenish the friction modifiers. If you don't experience the shudder, no need to add the second can between fluid changes.

I've changed my fluid twice now since getting the Silverstar (at 27,193 and 26,003 miles), and have added one can of BG with new fluid, and one in between changes. Getting the fluid and BG from the links above is about $100 total, and then one hour labor at a dealer to flush and renew. My dealer at home (Parkway Chrysler in Benton, KY) is $99 labor.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remaned my tranny for the first time @ 575,000 on my 2005 Chevy Express 3500. Transmission guy said everything was pretty much ok except the tc basicly self destructed. Had tranny rebuilt and installed for $2300 out the door. Was really surprised that it lasted that long as I have had other GM trannys not last past 250,000.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
back in the day, I bought a 1996 Astro van from a courier company. Had 541,005 on the clock when I bought it. They thought the engine locked up and sold it to me for scrap.

Turns out the a/c compressor locked up.. But anyways..

I got the service records. flush/filter every 40K.. Never a trans replacement.

That 4L60E went another 200K with my butt in the seat and the same care. I sold it to a friend who beat the hell of out of and only opened the hood when the oil light came on.

He got a year and a half out of it (about 80K) before it threw a rod.

It went to the bone yard with 8 and change on the original drive train.

It can be done if cared for :)

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
I sit here reading all this feeling good about the Dream Van. 963,000 plus miles with no drive train problems. Still has the original transmission fluid in it with none ever being added. Fluid is still as pretty as when new. But will have to admit between 850,000 and 925,000 I spent about $2000.00 dollars rebuilding front end (tie rods, ball joints, I beam bushings, sway bar bushings, radius arm bushings, etc.) and rear suspension (springs and hanger bushings plus new U bolts). Also had to replace the original radiator costing me $186.00. So glad that after about three hours of test driving and closely inspecting the Sprinter I made the decision to go with the Ford E-350 and build the Dream Van. Sometimes I make the right decision in spite of myself LOL.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You NEVER changed the trans fluid ever.....why??? ..when the vehicle is your bread and butter...why not take care of it...why take the risk??????.I just had a total flush filter and replaced w/ royal purple $200.00..... you are pretty lucky...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
You NEVER changed the trans fluid ever.....why??? ..when the vehicle is your bread and butter...why not take care of it...why take the risk??????.I just had a total flush filter and replaced w/ royal purple $200.00..... you are pretty lucky...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Not lucky at all! American auto trans will last better if you don't change the fluid UNLESS you overload and overheat them. New fluid put into a trans that has been overheated is a guaranteed failure because it will unbond the clutch linings. Trans builders, repairers, etc. don't want you to know this. My first automatic was a 65 Ford and I have never replaced any trans fluid. Never added to any except a 74 Jeep pickup and that was because some hay wrapped around the output shaft and started the seal leaking. And never had a trans failure in any of my personal or company vehicles. As long as the fluid stays bright and pretty it doesn't need changing. If it turns dark and smells the trans is going to fail either way so why waste money changing it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The old school of thought is to never change the transmission fluid. Unfortunately, there are very few old school transmissions on the road anymore. The function of the transmission fluid is to act as both a coolant and a lubricant, and as the fluid becomes contaminated with metal particles of the worn friction parts it can't do either one efficiently or effectively. Clearly, clean lubricating fluid will lubricate better than fluid chock full of metal flakes. Bright and pretty only means the fluid hasn't cooked itself, but gives no indication whatsoever of the level of metal particle contamination in the fluid. The filter will filter the particles, but the filter will reach the point where it cannot filter any more, and it doesn't take all that long for it to get tot hat point. The real dirty little secret that transmission rebuilders and repairers don't want you to know is if people would simply maintain their transmissions/transaxles properly, half the transmission shops in the country would go out of business. So, yeah, even though you will not believe it, you should consider yourself lucky.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have 461,018 miles on my 2004 Sprinter. Changed the fluid in the transmission every 60k.

I am thankful that the transmission lasted this long, and when it goes, I will replace it. Heck, this van saved me about $30k so far in fuel compared with a Ford gasser, so I can afford a tranny and an engine once in a while.

Last edited:

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
LMAO! I am definitly old school! In my ways and my age LOL. But just like that old school thought of not changing auto trans fluid, some others have made and saved me a lot of money. Like "A man that takes all the work he can get, gets all the work he can take."

Guess that's one reason my 2004 van has over 963,000 miles on it and others 2004 vans have less than 500,000. Of course being down for trans fluid changes and repairs etc could have been a factor but then we only worked three weeks out of every month during the first three years we owned this van. And the last few years we only worked two months out of every month. But when we were in service we were hauling frieght.

Another old school rule I go by is " If a piece of equipment won't pay for itself in 3 years you don't need it." Has always worked good for me. If after three years my van van totally blown up, replacment set aside had accumalated enough to buy and equip a new one. Of course all that money and the money I saved no doing unneeded servicing of my van was invested in the stock market and has multiplied till now I could buy a fleet of vans.

On the old school transmission servicing rule. I have a van with 963,000+ miles on it and haven't spent a penny on servicing the trans. So I have proof that my way worked for me. Does anybody out there have a trans. with 963,000 miles on it to show that changing the fluid religiously works for them? But really they would have to have 963,000 plus tens of thousands more miles to pay back all the money they have spent servicing the trans and equal my total trans. investment.

Am I lucky? Sometimes I am! Back the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I started having the most terrible pain I have ever had in my life (even after a heart attack and bypass surgery) and was rushed to the emg room. After x rays, ct scan, and other tests they couldn't find anything that was causing my pain. Four days later blisters broke out telling them I had shingles. Why do I consider getting the shingles lucky? Because while searching for the cause of my pain they found stage one cancer in my right kidney. Stage one is 95% curable but if it had progressed farther before discovery who knows. So yeah I am incredably lucky and thankful of it.

But I would also say that someone who bought a van that can save him $30K in fuel over my Ford van in less than 500,000 miles is unbeliveably lucky also. And I am proud for him.

You know everybody having their own way to do things helps make this old world go around and also make it incredable interesting. But after all is said and done I will always do things my old school way. Now that's unless someone can show me proof that another way is better.

Have a great day ya'll. Dieseldoctor

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
LMAO! I am definitly old school! In my ways and my age LOL. But just like that old school thought of not changing auto trans fluid, some others have made and saved me a lot of money. Like "A man that takes all the work he can get, gets all the work he can take."

Guess that's one reason my 2004 van has over 963,000 miles on it and others 2004 vans have less than 500,000. Of course being down for trans fluid changes and repairs etc could have been a factor but then we only worked three weeks out of every month during the first three years we owned this van. And the last few years we only worked two months out of every month. But when we were in service we were hauling frieght.

Another old school rule I go by is " If a piece of equipment won't pay for itself in 3 years you don't need it." Has always worked good for me. If after three years my van van totally blown up, replacment set aside had accumalated enough to buy and equip a new one. Of course all that money and the money I saved no doing unneeded servicing of my van was invested in the stock market and has multiplied till now I could buy a fleet of vans.

On the old school transmission servicing rule. I have a van with 963,000+ miles on it and haven't spent a penny on servicing the trans. So I have proof that my way worked for me. Does anybody out there have a trans. with 963,000 miles on it to show that changing the fluid religiously works for them? But really they would have to have 963,000 plus tens of thousands more miles to pay back all the money they have spent servicing the trans and equal my total trans. investment.

Am I lucky? Sometimes I am! Back the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I started having the most terrible pain I have ever had in my life (even after a heart attack and bypass surgery) and was rushed to the emg room. After x rays, ct scan, and other tests they couldn't find anything that was causing my pain. Four days later blisters broke out telling them I had shingles. Why do I consider getting the shingles lucky? Because while searching for the cause of my pain they found stage one cancer in my right kidney. Stage one is 95% curable but if it had progressed farther before discovery who knows. So yeah I am incredably lucky and thankful of it.

But I would also say that someone who bought a van that can save him $30K in fuel over my Ford van in less than 500,000 miles is unbeliveably lucky also. And I am proud for him.

You know everybody having their own way to do things helps make this old world go around and also make it incredable interesting. But after all is said and done I will always do things my old school way. Now that's unless someone can show me proof that another way is better.

Have a great day ya'll. Dieseldoctor

I have a Chevy 535 kmiles never changed the flui runs great. An other one 430 kmiles same.