Asking for load/rate over qc before taking

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the incite Chef. I would have a hard time going back to a company. My eye's have been opened since going independent. I am also set in my ways, which most companies do not like. I am no longer a hustler. I hate to say it but I am now a paid tourist:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL...I to am long known as a Vacation Expediter..i have retired and started more business since i retired then i did when I worked full time....Up until the purchase of the new truck i was also a debt free expediter, LOL, thats changed a bit (not over the top but still have a payment now) so while I do work at this business, I will bust my but a bit more now at least for a yr or 2....:D

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
LOL...I to am long known as a Vacation Expediter..i have retired and started more business since i retired then i did when I worked full

.Up until the purchase of the new truck i was also a debt free expediter, LOL, thats changed a bit (not over the top but still have a payment now) so while I do work at this business, I will bust my but a bit more now at least for a yr or 2....:D

Question.....how do you define being retired.....in my eyes retirement is not working.......enjoying your hardwork of many years .....living off the nest egg you have established......what you call retirement is really a change of careers at this point.....
You are the hardest working retiree I have met...

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have totally stopped working and lived off of investments and bank accounts 3 times..The 1st time at 50..but that didn't last long and none of the 3 times lasted more then 9 months...I got bored and started another business each time....i could stop working and go play golf, but i am no good at it...fishing was ok but I sold the boats, wife won't let me travel on a motorcycle and she won't quit working to travel (she is only 52 and owns her own business as well as works a 30 hour a week job in a hospital lab and goes to school).

Up until the purchase of the new van, i was debt free in this business and up until my wife decided to take a buyout from one of her jobs (she normally works 3 including her own) and go back to school, this business did not pay any of my household expenses...The only thing i ask of this business is that it pay its own bills and allow me to create another income stream that will puts cash in the bank.

Yea this is a career change, but I have done that soo many times i have lost count..(i have started and owned, made money and lost money and went out of business 11 different times, of that 11 I still own and run 3) and i still run 2 other businesses plus this business(well 1 business but 2 different aspects of it with 2 seperate income streams) and employ 4-6 people at any given time from the seat of the van...so yea it is a career change, but not something i need to do...I do it because it offers me enjoyment and the ability to do things i want to do....

LOL as for the hardest working retiree you ever met, believe me, I know people that make me look like i am lazy and they retired and started businesses that surpass me...

I doubt I will ever just walk away from working, my dad was the same way...you leave the work force, but sooner or later return to it in one way or another...

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well I am debt free ....especially in October the I make my last house payment......I enjoy what I do .....it gives me the freedom to do what I want.....guess I'm retired...@ 39 too.....not bad

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I were cynical, the Load 1 cheerleaders would raise my suspicions that they are getting "ataboys" for every posting.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You can be as cynical as you feel the need to be, but I'll be more then happy to show you my fleetvison anytime....

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Jj214,

When we were researching Load 1 to make the move there or not, the owner of our truck thought the same thing as you stated. Then once we convinced him to make the move 3 weeks after being with Load 1, he says to me not to be bragging Load 1 up on EO, because others will want to come over also.

He told us that we made the best business decision to move to Load 1 than any driver or himself in the 12 years of owning a fleet of trucks. He would like to get his other trucks on with Load 1 also, but not sure if Load 1 is still accepting new trucks or not.
Load 1 IS all that (has been posted) and more!

Load 1 is a different way of doing business and for us, it is the best way! May not work for everyone but deffinately does for us. Very little stress working with Load 1.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Now Jim did it right!!! LOL... I really have worked all of my life...not complaining at all...I grew up dirt poor and if i want anything over and above what my parents could afford I had to buy iy myself...so from a young kid on I worked...Quit and stopped at about 49-50, but got bored and couldn't deal with it,,and have been back working off and on in one capacity or another since...make money and losing some....but yea it is all good and at this point in the game I do enjoy life and what I do with the time god grants me here...:)

fortwayne

Not a Member
If I were cynical, the Load 1 cheerleaders would raise my suspicions that they are getting "ataboys" for every posting.

Better yet we get a company that cares about all its drivers and owner operators, its office staff and an owner that you can call anytime and he will call you back everytime.
But, I've never got a single "ataboy".....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, Hey Ft Wayne...The 1st time the owner sent me a PM and called me to say he was "sorry" that i had sat for 3 days, I knew I had made the right decision to move to load !..and those calls and PM's still happen from time to time... It is amazing to think the the owner actually knows which units are sitting where and how long, but then for him to call and let you know that he knows and is working to get you moved is over the top....

LOL, if the owner of my previous mid size carrier walked into the drivers lounge while i was there in the 2.5 yrs i was with them, i would have no idea who he was.....

fortwayne

Not a Member
LOL, Hey Ft Wayne...The 1st time the owner sent me a PM and called me to say he was "sorry" that i had sat for 3 days, I knew I had made the right decision to move to load !..and those calls and PM's still happen from time to time... It is amazing to think the the owner actually knows which units are sitting where and how long, but then for him to call and let you know that he knows and is working to get you moved is over the top....

LOL, if the owner of my previous mid size carrier walked into the drivers lounge while i was there in the 2.5 yrs i was with them, i would have no idea who he was.....

I will say tough I have been disappointed by one thing he has not done.....ain't never given me a ride in his Jag...and that upsets me deeply.....LOL!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I will say tough I have been disappointed by one thing he has not done.....ain't never given me a ride in his Jag...and that upsets me deeply.....LOL!

Man, what's up with that. Hey John, give this guy a ride already! lol
Better yet, just toss em the keys!

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Shows what I know! I thought all carriers gave you what the run paid before you took it.

Hard to make a business decision without that info.

FedEx gives deadhead miles, total miles, total pay, FSC, deadhead pay, etc... with each offer.

Dale

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Alright, lets clear this up...dispatch will call with serveral different deals...they may have a customer on the phone and they will call just to see if you will take the run if they get it...

they may call with a run offer and have all the info...

they may call with a canadian split load that crossdocks in Taylor...

and they may call with a load that needs picked up asap and they haven't got it in the sysem yet...

In the customer on the phone case, they will say where it picks up and where it goes..and ask if you want it...I never say no...then after a little bit if they get it, they will call again to confirm and send the info over the QC...

In the all info run, you know what it is when they call including pay...accept it and the info comes over the QC..

In the Canadian split load. they will call and offer it to you and yu will be told you will get your normal rate to Taylor, but it has to be figured..accept it get the shipper and hed out and the info will come over the QC in a while..

In the "we got it but it ain't totally in the system yet for whatever reason", they call, I accept and roll and when the info comes over the QC..I have it all...

In none of these situations have I ever been burnt and in alot of them where I don't know the pay, I have gotten more then my regular % and even up to 100% of the money paid...

If i have any questiones as to what I was paid, i can go in and ask to see the Alliance Trip Summary...its all right there in black and white...but you know what..i have seen 2 of them since starting they were what I was told and i don't even bother to ask anymore...I trust the people at Load 1 as they trust me to get the freght delivered as needed...I have never been lowballed before I accepted a run and had to "deal" to get my rate or more, and have never been jerked around after accepting a run and not knowing what it paid....

As we all know this is not the norm at all, but t works at Load 1 and with the carriers that lease there, at least it does for those that I know, and those that you have heard of here...and until I get messed with, I'll be just fine doing business this way...

Last edited: