Ask listen evaluate

fortwayne

Not a Member
Owning a couple of businesses outside transportation for some 20 years I know how to run a profitable biz.
However, when I entered this biz I learned one thing......it's not the same.
After being bullheaded, arrogant and refusing to listen and learn I took a beating for 3 years.
Then I began to ask questions, listen and learn.
This is a key in any business. Success in one biz does not make you an expert in this business.
Now, I still ask, listen and am always evaluating everything from cost control to traffic lanes.
I have a great mentor program from my carrier's owner to a handful of successful owner operators.
So don't repeat my errors. SHUT UP, ask, listen and evaluate.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap, no 2 businesses are the same.yea the basics all still need to be covered, but the differences here can make or break even a good businessperson if you ignore the differences....I have been fortunate in that i have been able to follow the lead of a few that gave me great advise in the beginning and I was also able to devolo a good friendship in a part industry that most often takes a beating...She was honest with me from the 1st time we talked and has continued to be honest and a good source of information and support...Thanks Annie!! Oh she is a "recruiter" at my previous carrier....and still a good friend..

Find good people in the industry and as has been said right from the start of this thread, Ask, Listen and evaluate...great advise.....BUT..if you really want to enjoy the benefits of all that you pickup in this business....SHARE IT!!! I have devoloped a friendship with a marred couple that drive for my previous carrier...It always makes e smile when i see that the advise have given them has helped them and they are making money....Share It, it will come back to you in frm of more info to you....what the tite of that movie "Pay it Forward"...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeap, no 2 businesses are the same.yea the basics all still need to be covered, but the differences here can make or break even a good businessperson if you ignore the differences....I have been fortunate in that i have been able to follow the lead of a few that gave me great advise in the beginning and I was also able to devolo a good friendship in a part industry that most often takes a beating...She was honest with me from the 1st time we talked and has continued to be honest and a good source of information and support...Thanks Annie!! Oh she is a "recruiter" at my previous carrier....and still a good friend..

Find good people in the industry and as has been said right from the start of this thread, Ask, Listen and evaluate...great advise.....BUT..if you really want to enjoy the benefits of all that you pickup in this business....SHARE IT!!! I have devoloped a friendship with a marred couple that drive for my previous carrier...It always makes e smile when i see that the advise have given them has helped them and they are making money....Share It, it will come back to you in frm of more info to you....what the tite of that movie "Pay it Forward"...:)

Ah Bologna...phooey....just bumble along make your mistakes and learn from them like we all did....;)
Like FW did...:p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

Ah Bologna...phooey....just bumble along make your mistakes and learn from them like we all did....
Like FW did...

Have some more coffee and a pickle or 2...its still early..;):D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think the title should be listen, ask and ask again ... then try

In another thread I made the point that I make $3.50 a mile and unnamed EO member pretty much said I was full of it but when I challenged him to prove I couldn't make it, he would not even consider it because he knows I am right. A few did get the point of why I was saying it - thanks.

There is a reason why I stated that number, which is not boasting but sharing is simply I believe anyone and everyone can do better if they try.

I did this exact thing; take a number, making it a goal and then learn how to achieve that goal by listening, asking and asking again, and trying. Anyone can reach their goals - this is partially what I meant by thinking outside the box.

I didn't have a fun time when I started, I had to deal with the threat of my old employer being held over my head and I had to learn quickly what would work to pay the bills.

I do have a lot of experience with different things and tried to apply that to this business and was failing to get it right for me. I found out that this business isn't a business but a niche market with its own set of rules - one of them is people can move up easily. The one thing that was clear quickly is that no one person has all the answers because no one person is the same as the other.

I saw and still see complacency, where people assume that being a company driver is the only way to make money or it is all about the miles and a bunch of other things all too common. I am glad to see one company other than my own braking the mold and making people realize there is more to it than just miles and money.

Well I digress ...

I choose a course of action that made a world of difference to me, I went into learning not to make money but to learn how it all fits together and that is not an easy thing. Learning how it fits together lets me know which path I need to follow in order to make the money.

What the biggest thing I did that is different from almost everyone else is I went to work doing different things without pay - yep not a single dime. I dispatched for a bit at two different companies who advertise here, I worked on a dock at one of the major carriers, worked in a traffic office of a couple customers and sat in on budget meetings to learn how they look at freight. I did the truck repair thing for a few weeks, read and talked to as many of the "movers and shakers" I could and so on. Learning as much as I can so I can improve things for myself.

I did make money on the way by applying those little lessons but I reached my goal eventually and now I know what I can and can not do.

Money wasn't the motivator and I keep telling people if they focus on the money, they will miss opportunities that bring them more money. I think Phil and others opened their eyes to this after me telling them for the past few years the same thing.

Right now what I'm working towards is stability, so I can claim the $3.50 a mile and work every day IF I want and be home almost every night - what else can anyone ask for?

I try to share, I'm not doing as much as I want to or should because every time I post something, I either get push back or some idiotic comment which is tiring.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
purgoose wrote:

Are you sitting around today or actually working??

LOL, my truck has had freight in it since friday afternnon....I am being aid to sit at home with mama !! Gettin ready to go to lunch, the go pckup some ribs to smoke and have the kids over for dinner...oh I delver tues am...:D And yes I got paid well and even got a little extra "somethin somethin" to "babysit" the freight for the long holiday wekend...:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
purgoose wrote:

LOL, my truck has had freight in it since friday afternnon....I am being aid to sit at home with mama !! Gettin ready to go to lunch, the go pckup some ribs to smoke and have the kids over for dinner...oh I delver tues am...:D And yes I got paid well and even got a little extra "somethin somethin" to "babysit" the freight for the long holiday wekend...:D

Read my last post. :D:D

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Find good people in the industry and as has been said right from the start of this thread, Ask, Listen and evaluate...great advise.....BUT..if you really want to enjoy the benefits of all that you pickup in this business....SHARE IT!!! I have developed a friendship with a marred couple that drive for my previous carrier...It always makes e smile when i see that the advise have given them has helped them and they are making money....Share It, it will come back to you in form of more info to you....what the title of that movie "Pay it Forward"...:)

I agree with this. I sit and chuckle when I see posts, oh I'm too busy worrying about my business to try to help others. I see helping others as helping yourself in the process.

I find I gain information and perspective when I offer an opinion. I might think one way but its good to see someone else who thinks differently. I think dissenting opinions are good.

People should question their own beliefs at times. If you do, I think in the end, it'll only strengthen them.