Are you worried?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
U.S. economy may be in crisis for next five years, expert says
25.10.2007 Source: Pravda.Ru URL:

http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/99507-usa_economy-0

The United States is unlikely to have the best investment environment in the next five years, according to Evgeni Nadorchin, a chief economist at Trust bank. Bigness.ru requested Nadorshin to comment on recent developments in the U.S. securities market.

The last week brought sad news for the White House. To begin with, Japanese companies agreed to make payments in yens for Iran’s crude imports last Tuesday. The Japanese had previously paid for Iranian oil in the U.S. dollar. In fact, Iran had earlier signed an agreement on the yen payments for its crude exports with a number of small-sized Japanese refineries. Two leading Japanese oil exporters of Iranian crude joined the agreement last Tuesday. Japan is one of the world’s major oil exporters. The country has sent a clear message to the global oil market by switching to the yen in its payments for Iran’s oil.

“The dollar isn’t a convenient currency for Iran’s oil receipts for political reasons. The dollar payments for oil are made via correspondent accounts at U.S. banks,†Nadorshin said, in an interview to Bigness.ru. “Keeping in mind that Iran is listed by the U.S. government among the countries of the “axis of evil,†the U.S. government is not only aware of those accounts, it can control them. The U.S. government even blocked certain accounts in the past,†Nadorshin added. From the technical point of view, it would be more difficult for the United States to block such accounts in a Japanese bank.

A mere 15 percent of Iran’s oil income is now being paid in the dollar. The biggest part of Iran’s income (65 percent) from crude exports is in euros. The yen payments account for 15 percent of Iran’s oil income.

Another of the last week’s unpleasant surprise for the dollar economy was of Asian origin. According to data released by the U.S. Treasury last Tuesday, the region’s major economies, namely, Japan, China and Taiwan unloaded some of U.S. Treasury bonds from their foreign reserves. The amount of U.S. Treasury bonds shed by the three countries totals $52 billions.

Compared with the countries’ aggregate amount of foreign reserves, which are worth trillions of dollars, the above sum is fairly small. However, the fact is of importance: Japan, China and Taiwan cut their investments in U.S. Treasure bonds to a record low in the last five years.

The United States have expressed concern about the move since the above three economies plus Hong Kong and South Korea account for 51 percent ($1.14 trillion) of the total amount of foreign investments in U.S. Treasury bonds.

Tougher times could be in store for the U.S. Treasury following all those developments if the government fails to curb inflation, according to Mark Ostwald, an analyst at Insigner de Beaufort.

“The Asian banks didn’t plan shedding their dollar reserves completely,†Nadorshin said in his interview to Bigness.ru. He stressed the point that $52 billion is a drop in the water for the countries “whose combined foreign reserves exceed two trillion U.S. dollars.†The move falls into the trend of the last several years i.e. the dollar proportion of foreign reserves is on the decrease.

Nadorshin reminded that U.S. Treasury bonds were traditionally considered gilt-edged securities.

However, now investors are concerned about the fact that they bought assets in a currency that is growing increasingly weaker. Besides, the U.S. economy may be heading for a recession.

The unloading of dollar assets was inevitable. On the contrary, the last several weeks have seen an inflow of $11 billion to investment funds that put money in the developing markets e.g. Russia.

Speaking of the negative impact on the U.S. economy in the wake of the events that occurred last week, Nadorshin argued that they might indicate a long-term economic crisis the global superpower is currently going through. “The U.S. economy has been showing its weakness throughout the year. It’s a weakness that prevents the economy from keeping the dollar strong against other currencies as the main unit of account. The economy has to tackle a number of issues including deficits and structural issues. The economic measures proved to be ineffective in resolving any of those issues. The country recently experienced a suprime mortgage crisis that will probably help them resolve the issues, which they tried to resolve by increasing interest rates†Nadorshin said in his interview to Bigness.ru

Sergei Malinin

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
NO

This could and should be the best thing to happen to us. SCARE US TO death or no Transporation. Way to many of us just waisting FUEL. EXCURSIONS just ##### me off, same as to vehicles that are designed to pull thousands and thousands of pounds being used to Cart around Pre-Schoolers or some guy just to fill his EGO and the only thing hes haulin is a brief case and a set of golf clubs.

Now I am all for enjoyment and if it means 4 wheeling or Mtcy riding than use to conservativly but do not just waist it cause one can.

I know many dissagree, but here is my point.

At what amount will we find an ALTERNATIVE fuel? I believe its much sooner than further cause someones gona make a killing and kill Japan and there market and also the U.S. auto makers along with that group of Govt supported Oil Companies. Just thinking could be dangerious or beneficial, I drive a fuel efficent car for those above reasons that I do care about our future and not just the present. Hope others do or will to.

Now the real truth I just cannot afford a HUMMER and I am jelious or am I?

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
our whole problem revolves around energy and the fact that the middle east supplies a large portion of our crude we consume and they do not like us, I believe they are are in the process of bring the U.S. to its knees, our governments answer is to make fuel out of food stocks just how short sighted is that??? we have viable alternative's in hydrogen and nuclear power but the government does not want to tackle the tree huggers on this issue even though while both have some issues they are much more friendly to the environment I am waiting to hear from one of the presidential candidates that he or she will implement a Manhattan style project to end the energy crisis, thats the one that I feel gets it, and they get my vote.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the problem is energy but we are no where near the hydrogen solution which still uses oil. The nuclear solution is viable but 10 or 15 years down the road, so there is really nothing left except use agriculture to fill the gap and that really has not impacted our food supply as many want to say it has, it has however impacted Mexico’s food supply. They can do more to help us to keep the food flowing to the south by lowering the price of their oil and selling it here but won’t so too bad Mexico.

The truth is that until we get more of an incentive to solve the problems, we will not find any. I mean I should not have to be taxed on anything I do to save energy, from Insulation for my home to license for my electric car.

I strongly feel that we need to just tell the American car companies too bad lower the consumption of your products or don’t sell them – none of this cr*p of raising café standards in 2018, force the issue for a solution now. If they fail, well they fail and lose out on more market share.

No one got where this article came from, did you?

OH! Got to add this.

Everyone is so upset with the lack of water, why are we not building desalination plants on the coast. Combine this with Nuclear power, we can produce more water than we really consume.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
acually the nuclear option is available now Japan France are 80% or more nuclear the latest generation of reactors are very safe, they could be built in less than 5 years- once they get past the permitting process which unfortunately takes 10 yrs. or longer which is way too long and expensive. As far as hydrogen right now it could be a direct replacement for natural gas in many applications if combined with nuclear power to produce it, after all it can be made inexpensively with sea water, and with a by product of pure water and oxygen, could with a little forethought help with two other problems,the water problem and the lower oxygen levels that the tree huggers have been complaining about for years. The storage problem that you mention is a problem that is being worked on right now, that is one of the problems that a Manhattan style project would solve. The way I look at it the government, in time of war was able to come up with the atomic bomb very quickly, they put the weight and power of the nation into it, well we are at war and at the moment losing, OPEC has started it, its undeclared but real all the same and until people of the United states wake up to that fact and demand the elected officals to fight this problem on a war footing it is just going to get worse and I also believe that if they keep screwing around and let big business and special interest guide the direction of this country that it is very possible that the U.S. could very well lose this war. We have the knowledge, people and resources to bring the entire world into a new era of peace and prosperity if we just had a leader with the guts to make the hard desision to do it.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Greg I dissagree, I believe in 10 years or less Gasloline will not be 100% fuel of choice for personal vehicles.

Diesel in Europe is now 50% of new Cars, I am saying Diesel is our only choice but I do see the 100% going other ways.

I love the Hondas with the Hybirds and the Ugly Toyotas yes there ugly but boy I like the Savings. Honda Civic I think is sharp, nice ride and nicely equiped. A Cadillac it is not but I can live without comfort creatures to save $ and the Enviornment MOST WILL NOT I will on my next Honda.

Come on America give me a CHOICE, CHRSYLER.... GM.... FORD.... yes Ford you have the only Hybird available but BRING MORE TO MARKET. I will even trade off quality for enviornemtnal reasons.

cALIFORNAI your a pain the but or ASSssss... shove it out there on the left coast.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Broom,
I agree with you on the Diesel car thing but there is two problems, one is the people who say that the particles are harmful to kids with no proof and we have the EPA and the EU which have different emission standards that need to be equal. In Europe, they know what to do to save fuel and I would love to get a Volvo diesel 5 speed car over here which returns 35 MPG on their roads at 70 plus MPH but until they go through the process of getting the regs equal, we are stuck. As for the particles and the pollution it causes, well think about it this way, if we are really trying to 'save the earth' from global warming, all the science points to the need to shield the earth and NASA said particles in the air help do that, pointing to the volcano eruptions being a cause of cooling of the earth.

I don't agree with the Hybrid thing at this point because of the lack of ideas being used right away and the constant proof of concept testing that is being done. The stuff works put it on the market and lets get going. The other thing is the Hybrids don't really help the problem of pollution, they cause more pollution in their production than a Hummer (real one).

I like the idea of an electric car, which when you really look at it, it fits the life style of most of the people in the cities, like my wife. I almost have her convinced to at least look at one because she puts on 75 miles a day round trip for work and one with 150 mile range would work out good for us. I have set down on paper a pretty good conversion of one of my Antique cars - why not use one of them they have the room I need. Well it will use Lithium batteries with super capacitors and Siemens motor and controller but I don't think my wife would like to go to work in a 1948 Chrysler.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Riverrat... you're forgetting the Middle East hated us back when oil was $9 a barrel.

As far as being worried... no. In fact, we just helped out the economy by buying a new car. Plus, if things get bad here, we can always move to Canada. LOL

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
ah but back then they didn't have us over the proverbial barrel and they depended on us for protection even when they tried the first time remember "74" and the slogan a barrel of oil for a bushel of wheat, well this time its different because that bushel of wheat is now being used to feed livestock so the corn can be used to make fuel and still they know that unless we get the will to break out of the oil habit that they will be able to exert more and more control over us unless our government gets a backbone its like the old saying we are screwed,blued,and tattooed

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
YES.. I am more worried than a blind person riding a unicycle across a tightrope. We need bold and dramatic leadership in Washington,DC on energy policy but I see none on the horizon. Our ruling elites will not act until this country's economic hardship has reached critical mass. Opening up ANWAR for oil exploration would be a start. One would think our best and brightest politicians would learn to get ahead of a problem rather than just kicking the can down the road. I fear someday we will wake up to mass protests of "wild-eyed pistol wavers marching in the streets"(The Eagles). I can envision a day when this nation sees a civil revolution, or devolution, because leadership failed us. It is no longer unthinkable.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
Joe thank you I was beginning to think I was getting paranoid and since most people seem to think everything is coming up roses I was completely wrong, now with at least one other person worried that things are going south I know if they lock me up at least I won't be alone in my thinking, lol

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Our whole system is messed up. We could be using grain such as soybeans and corn to make more fuel. I know some of you are saying this is going to hurt the food market, but it shouldn't. 70% of the grain grown in this country is fed to livestock that could live on a diet of mainly grass in pasture but instead they are held in confinment houses and feed lots and given grain instead of grazing. Think about it 70% of the grain we currently grow could be used for making biofuels. Plus the livestock will be less fatty. So when you cook that pound of hamburger meat more will be left over than before. People just don't want to think outside of the box and it's killing us.

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
Riverrat
There will always be a few souls with their eyes open. Whistling past the graveyard just doesn,t get it done. Most people think what they are told to think. Groupthink brought to you by the mass media and both political parties. Perhaps you have read Plato's "Analogy of the Cave." Reality vs. Perception of Reality. I am not blind to what is happening. We are moving toward a day of reckoning. Capitalism is by far the best economic model compared to all alternatives. Democracy beats all other political models. However, we now have capitalism run amok. I sometimes wonder if this nation is led by those on Pennsylvania Avenue or Wall Street speculators. The excesses of capitalism are on full display now.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's even more messed up with agriculture is that we have farmer's receiving subsidies to NOT grow things. My former father-in-law quit farming to take a regular job and continued to take his subsidy for years. He would get irritated when I told him he was taking money from me and other taxpayers. He saw it as the "governments" money. We need to give the welfare the boot and get these guys growing corn!