Are Paper Log Books Coming Back?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gregg, you hit the nail on the head about EOBR'S, The reason OOIDA doesn't want them is because most of the solo driver membership would now have to stop cheating.

Or possibly for the reasons they list: EOBRs increase regulations & cost, invade privacy, and can be used to harass drivers, with no indication [much less proof] that they improve safety. The tradeoff isn't worth the drawbacks, unless you want one in your truck. If you like it, fine, but FMCSA has no justification for requiring them in every truck, which is where they're going with it.

OOIDA, seems to think that EOBR'S give a large carrier a advantage, what advantage could they get if all trucks had one.

One advantage is cost: a large carrier can get a discount deal on volume that a small carrier cannot. And a large carrier could absorb the entire cost, while a small carrier would be forced to pass it along to drivers, creating a very advantageous situation for the big guys when it comes to recruiting.

Try this if 2 trucks one large carrier and a small carrier picked up at the same place and left at the same time and both had a truck that could do 70 MPH and both had the same amount of hours where's the big company advantage.

The only time there would be an advantage is if the small trucking company falsified their logs then the advantage would go to the small carrier. That goes for speeding to get form point A to B, both would be illegal.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Is that for training or is the company making everyone do it?

Everyone. Seems Qualcomm technology isn't quite the savior the company thought it would be. Too many glitches. Already he has had to dispute (successfully) two Qualcomm reports and he's been solo for 10 days. Other drivers report the same issues. Whether it is the fault of Qualcomm or the company's implementation of it, no one can say. It's just a pain in the bahukkas for everyone there right now.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Or possibly for the reasons they list: EOBRs increase regulations & cost,

Cheri, not to beat up on you but it gets so tiring to hear this crap about EOBRs so I have to ask, where are the increased regulations?

I will give you a hint of what I'm asking for - what changes have been made to the HOS that were done to fit the EOBR use?

Costs?

Seriously where are the costs increases?

I can tell you right off that the costs increases are not nearly as much as the anti-idling costs, the costs for CARB compliance and other safety/emissions costs.

Even when broken down per mile.

When people who make a good amount of money from their company complain about the increases on trivial issues, and still make money off the company, then they have a choice, leave the company or find other ways to save money.

So where are the costs increases?

If anything, the use of EOBRs on the backend of the carrier reduces costs because now they don't have to have the processing of the logs through paper but now can do it electronically. The cost savings of doing that alone adjusts the costs to the carriers advantage.

invade privacy, and can be used to harass drivers,

Where is the invasion of privacy?

There isn't any.

Because you, a driver, has an obligation to maintain that log book and have by regulation to keep it up to date at all times, means that the regulations don't have in it the idea that you can move the truck three miles to get something to eat without logging the change or having to park for ten minutes without logging on duty not driving.

Does the EOBR monitor your sleep activity or does it make sure that you are not getting those phone calls from your family member at 2am that keeps you up for four more hours because they have a crisis?

Nope.

So where is the invasion of privacy?

with no indication [much less proof] that they improve safety.

Safety is another issue which because of the shortness of time that EOBRs have been used, we won't see any results.

The tradeoff isn't worth the drawbacks, unless you want one in your truck.

What drawbacks?

No one has yet come up with a concrete reason that indicates that this is a very bad thing other then losing the ability to cheat on their logs.

If you like it, fine, but FMCSA has no justification for requiring them in every truck, which is where they're going with it.

Actually I can't stand the idea but I have bigger issues to deal with that overshadow this one, and one reason why I do not have any respect for the OOIDA - the other issues impact more than logging and are an invasion of medical privacy with no proof that it is needed other than making money for a close group of medical professionals.

One advantage is cost: a large carrier can get a discount deal on volume that a small carrier cannot. And a large carrier could absorb the entire cost, while a small carrier would be forced to pass it along to drivers, creating a very advantageous situation for the big guys when it comes to recruiting.

You know it doesn't matter how you want to look at it. There are units out there that are cheap and useful enough to both the driver and carrier that don't cost much to use - less than $50 a month. Small carriers can absorb the cost just as much as the large ones because more often than not, the contractor picks up the tab for it.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Personaly I could give 2 sheets to the wind if they do or not. I know how to use paper log books and know how to do and 8&2 Split. I know the rules and I also know how to use drivers DDL as well I also know how to run the new fangled hours logger on the qual com Versital I am Camellion if you will. don't matter to me. People that worry about such things, running Hot??? Whats the worrie. Now if the dum qual goes down. Well I just grab a book and start it.
if you dont know how many hours u got left then thats your fault if for some reason the computer goes down. Far as running I can tell you this the new system does start recapping for you thats a fact. BTW and it does know how to do and 8&2 split as well. Personaly I like it. Enough said have a nice day all. TAR Heals Bite wind.