Are drivers using the five keys to the Smith System

whistler

Active Expediter
After seeing a post about a Expedite driver that was killed. I thought I would post the five keys to the Smith System for drivers. I had a school bus pull out in front of me last week as I was going down the street I live on. I called the school system where the bus was from and talked to the director of transpotation for this school system. I was shocked to find out that this director didn't know what the Smith System was. I told him that this is something that all of his bus drivers should know and learn.

From my many years at Roberts Express/FedEx Custom Critical I was thankful that Pat G. was a big supporter of the Smith System. For those of you that don't know the five keys to the Smith System, here it is.

Smith System

5 Keys of Defensive Driving

1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you and your truck.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Directionals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

Excellent Post. #4 has saved me from disaster more than once.

guido4475

Not a Member
My Dad once told me when I think I know everything about driving, and think I am the best, it is time to hang the keys up, as we never stop learning, and can never get too comfortable with ourselves.To always look as many times as possible when changing lanes, going through intersections, etc.One can never look too many times when making a move, and to always try and read what the other guy is doing, or going to do.It must of worked for him, 45 years in a semi, not one accident, and only 1 speeding ticket.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The smith system, although common sense for some is ground breaking news for others. I can't say I'm perfect in following it all the time, but I sure try to live by it. I'll recognize when I'm not and will have one of those "what am I doing moments". Case in point, after my NYC experience I found that I quickly became a very aggressive driver. A week later without realizing it, I was still driving aggressive in some little town none the less like I was still in NYC when I realized what I was doing. Years of safe driving habits simply cast aside from one experience. My current Sprinter actually has the smith system posted in my van from another carrier. It will remain there as a constant reminder :)

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An excellent post, one that should be shared with ALL drivers, not just us. Far too many people today use their vehicles as offices, resturaunts etc.... thank you for a good link I sent it off to everyone