APU unit question

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you click the link it should begin downloading a pdt file that will open in your browser. Depending on size it might take a minute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

LOL!! Yeah, I know what it SHOULD do and also know what it is NOT doing!

I went to the site, found the APU section but they list only the one unit I was aware of before. I have not been able to find that PDF. I REALLY would like to see this new unit. I have to order SOMETHING in the next day or two.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nothing here. I REALLY wanted to learn about that unit. My bank needs papers TODAY! Might just stick with RigMaster. The HP2000 has no generator and I have never been happy with Carrier's service.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Nothing here. I REALLY wanted to learn about that unit. My bank needs papers TODAY! Might just stick with RigMaster. The HP2000 has no generator and I have never been happy with Carrier's service.

On my smartphone, I have to go into "downloads" to find pdfs that I have downloaded. It's not on my home screen..had to look for it on my apps page, or you could look in settings.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If you want an actual APU, get a thermoking tripak. If you want a seperated unit (probably the best) get an Onan and a rooftop. OR, you can always spend a few thousand here and a few thousand there trying out these other boat anchors to see if they've brought their product up to par with the previuosly mentioned.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you want an actual APU, get a thermoking tripak. If you want a seperated unit (probably the best) get an Onan and a rooftop. OR, you can always spend a few thousand here and a few thousand there trying out these other boat anchors to see if they've brought their product up to par with the previuosly mentioned.

Can't use the Onan option, my roof cannot support a roof top without extensive work. I like a lot about the Tripack except that it ties into the truck's coolant system. Had enough of that. I don't know if Tripack has shore power or not. At least if I buy this one I will at least have a warranty. I am SO tired of this entire MESS!:mad:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Just tryin to save you some heartache. If you read the different truck forums and listen to the drivers. The tripak and Onan users are the only consistently happy customers.

The tripak does not have to be tied into the truck system. That is only if you it to warm the engine coolant. Im told you can get it installed either way.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just tryin to save you some heartache. If you read the different truck forums and listen to the drivers. The tripak and Onan users are the only consistently happy customers.

The tripak does not have to be tied into the truck system. That is only if you it to warm the engine coolant. Im told you can get it installed either way.

I have been doing nothing but reading on this. I have been talking to drivers. I have met some who LOVE their tripaks and just as many who hate them. Same with the Carrier and the rest of the bunch. The ONLY ones I have spoken with who seem to have done really good are the Onan bunch and I can't use that. I HATE THIS STUFF! :mad:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have been doing nothing but reading on this. I have been talking to drivers. I have met some who LOVE their tripaks and just as many who hate them. Same with the Carrier and the rest of the bunch. The ONLY ones I have spoken with who seem to have done really good are the Onan bunch and I can't use that. I HATE THIS STUFF! :mad:
Why can you not use the Onan? Doesnt make any sense to me.

Here's the way I see it. The only reason your changing out to begin with is because the one you have is too much trouble...correct? No way in heck I would spend $10,000 on any less than something that has been proven to work well.

So, you have 2 options.

1. You can buy a unit that you "think", "might" be a good unit and it has the shorepower and generator, etc, etc.

2. You could forget about the rest of this garbage and start working on what it's gonna take to make the Onan work. I'm betting it can be done.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why can you not use the Onan? Doesnt make any sense to me.

Here's the way I see it. The only reason your changing out to begin with is because the one you have is too much trouble...correct? No way in heck I would spend $10,000 on any less than something that has been proven to work well.

So, you have 2 options.

1. You can buy a unit that you "think", "might" be a good unit and it has the shorepower and generator, etc, etc.

2. You could forget about the rest of this garbage and start working on what it's gonna take to make the Onan work. I'm betting it can be done.

Not changing out because it is too much trouble. Changing out because it no longer has an engine. That has NOTHING to do with the brand of APU. The rest of it did suck.

I don't have ANY belief that ANY APU I buy will do what I want or work as well as it should. The cost of rebuilding the sleeper roof to handle the weight of a roof mount, the roof mount AND the Onan is MUCH higher than any of the APU's I have looked at. I have also been told, by several shops, NOT to alter the sleeper for it. It seems it also causes other problems. It is AlumiJunk after all..

I am ONLY buying or doing ANYTHING because of LAWS that require I do something.

I will have to make my mind up soon.

Maybe I can hit the lottery and just sit on the River and enjoy my life. This sure ain't any fun.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I dont think you have to have the super duper 10,000 watt Onan or whatever it is. A 5500 should be plenty.... is likely quite a bit less cash....could very possibly buy the Onan 5500 + rooftop + required modifications for $10k or less. I think the DD's have a 5500.

Honestly, what Im told works best with Onan? A window unit stuck in the back of the sleeper. Of course, most straight trucks that is a problem too.

Look for options to make the good stuff work. You'll never be happy with second rate stuff that doesnt work. Just my opinion. Sorry for jumping into the conversation. Ive just seen so many of these overpriced, under performing boat anchors hanging on the side of idling trucks. Many, many thousands, probably millions of wasted dollars industry wide

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't mind you jumping in at all! I would LOVE to find a better option. The problem is that EVERY PLACE I talked to about modifing my roof told me not too and they would have got the work. Still working on the lottery option! :p I would MUCH prefer to sit on the River. This business is getting to be a pain in the butt.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I will have to make my mind up soon.

I don't mean to confuse the issue but have you thought about a new truck? You have said you are running well with FedEx Custom Critical, running out of hours at times. With that known revenue stream, is a new truck not an option?

Also, and I wish I would have thought of this when I was at ARI last week, they have a small used ARI sleeper on their lot now that is for sale. I don't know the details or specs. Now wish I had taken a closer look. If memory serves, I think that sleeper had a roof unit on it.

If not a new truck, what about a new generator and used sleeper?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, I don't want a new truck. Not yet. LOL! I just want this to go away. No new trucks until I see where the regulations are going. They are reaching a point where I would be willing to quit this.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
LO, as good as you guys do have you considered selling your truck and letting some wealthy fleet owner buy you a new truck with a new APU.
I was offered a new 130" Bentz from a neighbor of yours. And I don't do your numbers,yet.
Look at 40%, no headaches,walk away on 30 days notice.
At your age.....

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LO, as good as you guys do have you considered sellong your truck and letting some wealthy fleet owner buy you a new truck with a new APU.
I was offered a new 130" Bentz from a neighbor of yours. And I don't do your numbers,yet.
Look at 40%, no headaches,walk away on 30 days notice.
At your age.....

Thought about it, BUT, I have FREEDOM now, Hunting season is coming.

At my age, LOL! OLD FART! :cool: If I get rid of this one I am done.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I know a very good team with a very good owner that basically runs the 1st thru the 20th and takes ten days off per month.
More freedom than I've ever had.