APU unit question

smitty8567

Active Expediter
I have a comfort master APU unit. I turn it on and it will run for about an hour of running then it will shut down and show "temperature reading high". Do you have any suggestions and how to solve this problem.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the forums.

Other than checking the oil/coolant I don't know what to say. Is it stand alone or tied into the truck cooling system.

petercar

Active Expediter
I have a comfort master APU unit. I turn it on and it will run for about an hour of running then it will shut down and show "temperature reading high". Do you have any suggestions and how to solve this problem.

what temp is high, water temp ? or A/C system ?

do you have the op's book for the APU it should have a list of the codes.

the coils for the cond. or rad. may be dirty, if the fan wasn't working it wouldn't run for a hour.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If the unit is fairly new it could be a sensor and or where the condensor is mounted. The condensor fan might not be able to pull enough air through the condensor to cool it. It's not getting the air and it has cycled (shut off) for any amount of time it could cause the sensor to go bad. A lot of times they will mount a condensor and fan against the cab. Thats fine if you have spacers between the mounts and the cab allowing air to flow. If the unit is less than about two inchs from the cab, it's not getting enough air. I had the same problem with a unit years ago and that was it, so passing on experience.
I might ad something. In the summer when running west or anywhere that the temps get really high the cab is not only getting hot from the sun it is picking up ashphalt heat. When the cab get that hot the fan on the condensor is just pulling that heat and helping to heat the condensor.

Last edited:

petercar

Active Expediter
I would think if the sensor was bad it would show up right away, not a hours later. but what do I know just a driver.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
How many watts does anyone need for an APU? Why not get a Honda 9000 watt unit and set it and forget it. And why does an APU unit have to be hooked into a water supply and all that, seems to be way to much engineering imho.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many watts does anyone need for an APU? Why not get a Honda 9000 watt unit and set it and forget it. And why does an APU unit have to be hooked into a water supply and all that, seems to be way to much engineering imho.

There are advantages and disadvantages to being plumbed into the truck. It is a personal choice as to which problems a person wants. The Honda is gas. That is a second fuel supply that needs to be carried. Also my APU will come on by itself when the batteries get too low. The Honda won't. In the case of my truck I would have to do modifications to the roof to be able to put a roof mount AC to use with the Honda or Onan. It is never as simple as it seems on the service.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What are the advantages of being plumbed in?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

It acts as an engine warmer. Some prefer that to engine block heaters. One less radiator to leak and maintain. I don't like it. I have had too many problems due to leaks. To each his own.

petercar

Active Expediter
It acts as an engine warmer. Some prefer that to engine block heaters. One less radiator to leak and maintain. I don't like it. I have had too many problems due to leaks. To each his own.

The new comfort pro sold by Carrier dealers has a stand alone unit with a larger rad. it has a 6k gen and plug the block heater into the APU.
Or you can stay with the 4k gen set unit and use the truck rad system

The reason for the big new gen is to plug in the block heater

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The new comfort pro sold by Carrier dealers has a stand alone unit with a larger rad. it has a 6k gen and plug the block heater into the APU.
Or you can stay with the 4k gen set unit and use the truck rad system

The reason for the big new gen is to plug in the block heater

Can you post a link to this unit? No dealers I have spoken to know anything about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just like everything else with this search for an APU, nothing is going right. LOL! Nothing comes up on the link.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The link is a pdf it will download to your phone nite open a site. Remove the stuff after the. Com to go to the site or go to the link via computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The link is a pdf it will download to your phone nite open a site. Remove the stuff after the. Com to go to the site or go to the link via computer.

I am on a computer. Don't have a smart phone.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you click the link it should begin downloading a pdt file that will open in your browser. Depending on size it might take a minute.