APU any suggestions

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
As one of the mods on here loves to say,and another mod likes to mimic,all apu's have warts and you just have to decide which warts that you can live with versus the warts that you can't live with.

Oh and be sure and read EVERYTHING in the archives back to the beginning of this site.

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
OOIDA has a deal with the EPA that gets u a
40% rebate on your APU. I would check with them First for the finacing. I have a Carrier and it is a P.O.S. so if you go that route definatly get the extended warranty.

In talking with OOIDA there finance guy told me he has not had any negative feedback on BlackRock apu however they are the most expensive up front.

However, when you consider maintenance costs, I would rather have spent more money up front.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We've had experience with several different ones on different trucks. The Carrier we had was great and we never had any problems with it. The Rigmaster we had was nothing but trouble from the start. The truck we are driving now has a PowerTech and we have only had a slight problem when our microwave went a little wonky and blew the APU fuses.

I kind of look at them like I do truck makes. There are good and bad in each and you just have to research and find what "fits" with you.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I kind of look at them like I do truck makes. There are good and bad in each and you just have to research and find what "fits" with you.

Regardless of brand, the generator that fits me is one that heats and cools the sleeper such that we are actually comfortable in it in all weather conditions, including the most extreme; and that provides reliable service such that anything other scheduled maintenance is not needed over 20,000 hours or more of service.

I used to believe that 10,000 hours was a reasonable expectation. I formed that opinion based on what a mechanic at an Onan shop and RV repair facility told me. I have since learned of Onan owners with generators installed on over-the-road trucks that have hit the 20,000 hour mark. 40,000 hours is less common but not unheard of. That from our sleeper manufacturer (ARI) who has been installing Onans on trucks for years.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are also happy with our Onan,different from yours Ateam (5.5kw) and its only problem has been that it eats water pumps.

We are on our 3rd one in 4600+ hrs.

I'd be interested to know more about your water pump issues. We have done nothing to ours but flush and fill the cooling system at the manufacturer's recommended intervals. We use the same long-life (red) coolant in the generator as in the truck engine and reefer. Not for any good reason, except it is easier to carry one jug of red stuff than one of red and one of green.

All generator maintenance (oil changes, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, belt, coolant flush and fill) is done by me in truck stop parking lots or our driveway at home. The work is easy to do and doing it myself saves money. We also save money by buying filters at Wal-Mart (oil) and NAPA (fuel). The generator maintenance intervals seem short compared other brands but we have stuck to them. So far so good. No water pump worries or anything else (knock on wood).

Do you have any theories or explainations as to why your Onan is going through water pumps at that rate? Has warranty support been provided?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I'd be interested to know more about your water pump issues. We have done nothing to ours but flush and fill the cooling system at the manufacturer's recommended intervals. We use the same long-life (red) coolant in the generator as in the truck engine and reefer. Not for any good reason, except it is easier to carry one jug of red stuff than one of red and one of green.

Ours came from the manufacturer with the green coolant,and then the repair facility (cummins/bridgeway in Cleveland,OH)changed it to the blue coolant the last time it was there.

All generator maintenance (oil changes, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, belt, coolant flush and fill) is done by me in truck stop parking lots or our driveway at home. The work is easy to do and doing it myself saves money.

I also do the oil changes and the fuel and air filter changes,and find it to be a easy task.

Do you have any theories or explainations as to why your Onan is going through water pumps at that rate? Has warranty support been provided?

This unit uses a Kubota engine,so it really is a Kubota issue.Warrenty covered the first one that failed after 4 months.I paid for the second one that failed in January of this year. The 3rd one was covered by warranty because it a defective part from the beginning. BTW,cummins bridgeway in Cleveland is an excellent place to have work done on your Onan and a well stocked parts dept.

///////////////////////////

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil, What does CARB have to say about the Onan? Is it legal in CA? I am a bit confused at to what is legal or not on my 2006. I THINK my ProHeat is legal because of the age of the truck, not sure though. I can tell you one thing, when my ProHeat works it works well, it just breaks on thing or another often. The last thing to go, besides belts, was the oil dipstick. Yea, you heard right, the dipstick broke off and fell down. Not while checking the oil, it come apart while the engine was running. Oil went everywhere, my parking space at home was a mess. The shop managed to get it out, no damage done from the pieces. Got a new dipstick. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, What does CARB have to say about the Onan? Is it legal in CA? I am a bit confused at to what is legal or not on my 2006.

I am a bit confused too. Diane and I have not yet researched this enough to publicly offer an opinion.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand, I find much of the CARB stuff confusing. The ONLY thing I understand is that main purpose of all of it is to remove money from my bank account. I can't find anywhere in the Onan literature that they make a CARB compliant unit. I was hoping when I had to replace my ProHeat that I could go to the Onan but I don't know if that will be possible.
Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
CARB rules do not apply to RVs and Onan provides generators to many more RVs than trucks. Several months ago I heard from ARI who heard from Onan that Onan does not plan to provide a CARB-compliant product because their primary market is RV.

That may change in time. Who knows?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe if we beg Onan? I know that they make a very good product. Oh well, maybe I can keep the ProHeat running for a while longer. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If CARB applied their rules to RVs like they do trucks, Onan probably would develop a CARB-compliant product.