April Showers , Locations & More

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck , Lol , I will stick my Nose in it ..
This is the Monthly Locations & More part of the forum. Created years ago to let Members express their thoughts without being Scolded for being Off Topic . So what if a Member Sugarcoats his post a little . I know WOM is not trying to post stuff just to piss others off .
Plus I have a General Idea the Rates that he & his wife drive for .
It's better than 80% of the Van Expediters out on the road Today.
If you also Notice "He Does " post his Bad weeks too..

...$$$$

Thanks for the historical perspective and your comments.

Ya know, we got a member on here that has a certain conspiracy theory that he expresses often. Every time a brand new member appears to be very active, he floats the idea that the member is a troll from EO attempting to stir the pot somehow and inflate membership. Really, this guy says it every time.

Is it really all that far fetched that members inflate carriers performance? Happens all the time. I'm entitled to my opinion.

You call it sugarcoating .... I call it horsesh*t. To each his own ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Grizzzzz & Guid's
I merely copy and paste from my (personal) FB post.

We each run our business the way we like and how it works for us. As Mark said, and he knows, we are probably in the top 25% of rates, maybe knot, but Murray don't run us cheap. I enjoy my relationship with him and when things are good I like to share the credit since he bid the load, booked the load, tracked the load, billed the load, collected for the load and (finally) paid us for the load. I'm sure (for instance) Load 1 drivers are proud to work for John Elliott and appreciate the team there. In my case, Murray is always on got his team, and as a 1 man show, what he accomplishes is amazing. So, yup, gonna keep showing the love. And, I love all of you too, most of the time.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

WOMmmmmm
Honestly, I prefer not to talk rates. People get their feelings hurt.

My comments were more focused on the exaggeration and embellishment used. There is nothing extraordinary about booking a load out of LA at 5 pm on a Sat. The Madman ..... The Magician .... Positive reinforcement is great but come on, let's get serious. I mentioned a rate because if someone books a 1,000+ mi load at $1.50 per mi +, then by all means toot some horns, shout from the hills ... but if someone is running .80 loads, probably somewhere around .65-70 all miles each month, there is nothing remarkable about that AT ALL.

If you enjoy your relationship with your carrier ... great, awesome. My comments were not meant to be focused on CRE or Murray specifically. I will say this, there are worlds between top tier carriers, that have direct customers, and the secondary market that relies on the board. There's value added by working with top tier carriers and it's reflected in their prices. How difficult do you think it is to be a secondary carrier? Here's a few thoughts on your comments ....

(Again, these comments are for secondary carriers that rely on the board.)
1 - Your carrier bid the load. How difficult do you think this is? The interface automatically refreshes every 10-15 sec and will beep notifying you of a load within your listed radius. It's not like someone is actively working the phones to get a vehicles loaded. You could literally be watching TV while booking loads. Get a hit, place a bid. And I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not ... many ... imo most, secondary carriers have passed on this function to drivers. Drivers have the interface on their phones, laptops & directly bid loads themselves. The carrier markup is built into the interface. Unless you can't read or add, this can be done in the field.

2 - Booking the load. Involves a couple of emails or maybe a phone calls .... miraculous! ... maybe even supernatural!

3 - Tracking the load. Macropoint ... done. Unless the carrier margins are to low and they can't afford it, then it becomes work.

4 - Billing the load. An email.

5 - Collecting the load. Factor or not? Again if you have the margins and volume, factoring is probably somewhere between 3-5%. If not, open a excel sheet & stay on top of account receivables.

6 - Paying the load. Seriously?

So please forgive me for not viewing this voluminous amount of work as .... ordinary. As a matter of fact, it looks like this can be accomplished in the field with a laptop.

Perhaps the only indiscretion is copying and pasting the same comments on FB & EO.
This crowd tends to be a bit more discerning ... although sometimes I wonder.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The old rate debate gets old..
My opinion.... WOM is happy with what he has ..isn’t that what it’s all about? Being happy at your chosen field?
He’s making what he needs... not what anyone else might need.... or think he needs.... just let it go and be happy....:)

OMV, how unexpected that you would surface to comment on this ..... :pokepoke:
WOM can drive loads for a can of tuna fish and a snickers bar .... I could care less. I'd rather not talk about rates, even though I'm sure you'd like to frame the narrative that way.

Regardless, show up more often ....
Please send our best to your better half. Her presence is missed.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to say that most times Murray comes up with loads when we least expect them and we do better rate wise than most of the other sprinter size vehicles out here...I call Murray the Magician many times. If our hard work and success as a "fleet" at CRE you can always choose to join it and see for yourself or otherwise keep the grumbling to a minimum. We dont degrade any other carrier, and if you see some of the FB groups our level of pom pom waving is minor. He gets the job done for us, and as a one man (and woman owned) operation, he does an "eggcellent" job. Murray and I occasionally have a difference of opinions on things but its minor. We both (and all the rest of CRE) GET THE JOB DONE!! I have been off EO for awhile and I remember why...have a great day.

I'm not attempting to degrade anyone. I was just pointing out something I didn't agree with. If someone can't discern the difference ... oh well.

I'm not interested in the FB crowd or their nonsense. Perhaps that's it ... maybe you've been hanging around with the wrong crowd so much you can't differentiate between fact and fiction anymore ..?

As for which companies I choose to work with .... I own my own vehicle & pay my own insurance. Why would I enter into an exclusive agreement with a secondary carrier? What does the carrier have to offer? Top tier carriers have lots to offer, I'd enter into an exclusive agreement with one of them! .... but secondary carriers? Secondary carriers are non-exclusive agreements in my book. Why anyone that owns a vehicle and pays their own insurance offers a carrier exclusive use of their vehicle is beyond me ..?!

As for the magical experiences you've had .... I think perhaps it's due to a couple of things. Firstly, you don't directly see the mind-boggling volume of loads on the board - 24/7 ... 365 ... anywhere. If you're still sitting at the truck stop waiting for the phone to ring, you're watching black & white TV. There's no magic to it, sorry to burst your bubble.
Oh, btw ... Santa isn't real either. Yeah, I know .. I was shocked too ... he looks real.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure, I agree with you to a point. But what frosts my as* about those who choose to run cheaply is the catastrophic end result to this once lucrative industry by running cheap. By running cheap, the customers, companies, shippers, etc will expect us to run cheap more often. " well so and so ran this load this cheap"....maybe we have heard that from a dispatcher. Or maybe a dispatcher has heard this from a customer.? There is a ripple effect to this, one that will take our once great rates down to LTL levels. Work smarter, not harder. Less miles, more money.

Just got done watching Clint Eastwood in "Mule". Excellent movie, true story.

Now, about to watch Mark Wahlberg in "Mile 22". Never seen a bad movie from him yet.

This philosophical debate has merit but it's dead. On the secondary market The Power of the Purse has been turned over to the inmates. Drivers have, for many moons now, been bidding on loads directly themselves, not through carriers .. but for carriers.

Also, there are carriers that have a stable full of sexagenarians. They've realized this demographic of folks have less income requirements than younger people and will drive for less. Am I touching a nerve yet?

If you work for a top tier carrier, consider yourselves in good company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treadmill

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, this is true.
But it still doesnt matter what the customer is charger as long as what you are being paid is decent.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, absolutely. I haven't had my cheerleaders outfit on for quite some time. But you, my freind, came right out of the gate at such a much higher level than cheerleader. In a class all you're own....lol..but, thats okay. Its all good. Doesnt it feel good to work for a company and owner that we can believe in? Sure it does. Its a rare thing now and days. Is the company perfect? No, but close enough to perfect for me. The best that I've worked for since 1995, the start of my OTR expediting career. I did local expediting for 5 years before that. After all those years, so many companies, I found a place that I am proud to call home for the last 8 years. Im sure you feel the same way.

Maybe, just maybe, my Posting of every load out of the gate was done for a reason ? Silence Naysayers ..lol . A Poke in the Ribs to EO powers ..lol .. To Stir the Pot and see what Floated to the Top ..lol .
Or maybe to show in Appreciation of Leasing onto a New Carrier ...

But as much as Load 1 is a Top Tier Expedite Company to be leased to .
The amount of Disrespect from O/OP and Drivers working at L -1 towards John and His Company facilities in Taylor , Mi. Sickens Me.
And NO , I am not posting it on EO . Those that need to know got the Qualcom message...

...$$$$

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me, miles matters. Rates is secondary as long as it "decent" (Lol.....).

It doesn't apply to just anyone, but the expediting mileage deductions is awesome!

Nothing can be said to be certain, except taxes and death. Well the taxes part may be no longer relevant. Lol.....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the historical perspective and your comments.

Ya know, we got a member on here that has a certain conspiracy theory that he expresses often. Every time a brand new member appears to be very active, he floats the idea that the member is a troll from EO attempting to stir the pot somehow and inflate membership. Really, this guy says it every time.

Is it really all that far fetched that members inflate carriers performance? Happens all the time. I'm entitled to my opinion.

You call it sugarcoating .... I call it horsesh*t. To each his own ...
And thus you proved my example of why this Location & Banter thread works .
We all are allowed to post our Opinion, daily thoughts, locations , discussions back and forth (non political) , sight seeing photos, Humorous pictures and jokes , etc.
It's a place to relax (possibly) ..
Will there be a post here or there that upsets a person ? Heck yes , but either we can choose to be Growup and bite your tongue with No Comment or Fuel the fire . I will be the First to admit that I've started some Bon-fires . But I have also thrown water on alot more ...
I am Not as Perfect as Some of You , but I also Never will Stoop to that level .
As for that Nasty EO Troll , I am sure his/hers Cousin will show back up soon ...

...$$$$

Reactions: Mailer

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Grizzzzz.......
You emphatically state that you don't need to talk about rates, yet, every paragraph above mentions rates?? As for Carrier Love, I see 4 types on here

Big carrier, L1 for example, the O/O is like a wife, married to the carrier

Small carrier, CRE, not married but more like the "other woman" that gets the trinkets left over from the wife

multi carrier, which I consider woman that sleeps around allowing all the men to enjoy her fruits without building a relationship.

Then, of course, yellow box trucks & 15 year old sprinters. Of course we know they will swallow any loads.

But, I get your point about cheerleading. As I said, I copy and paste from my personal FB page, which is seen by my friends, all 22 of them! I will take more time to write just to EO.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
When some loud braggart tries to put me down
And says his school is great
I tell him right away
Now what's the matter buddy
Ain't you heard of my school
It's number one in the state

So be true to your school now
Just like you would to your girl or guy
Be true to your school now
And let your colors fly
Be true to your school

I was going to sing, but the Beach Boys do it better. If you want I can post a link to the song

guido4475

Not a Member
This philosophical debate has merit but it's dead. On the secondary market The Power of the Purse has been turned over to the inmates. Drivers have, for many moons now, been bidding on loads directly themselves, not through carriers .. but for carriers.

Also, there are carriers that have a stable full of sexagenarians. They've realized this demographic of folks have less income requirements than younger people and will drive for less. Am I touching a nerve yet?

If you work for a top tier carrier, consider yourselves in good company.

No nerve touched of mine. It is what it is. Even though I have my limits on just how low I'll go. But being debt free enables me to run cheap and turn a profit, if I want to, but I prefer not to make that a way to make a living. However, Im on a load that pays less than what I desire, but because it is small and ultra light, Ill bend on the rate. And it is taking me to a place that has some hard to find parts for an ongoing Fairlane restoration back home. So it is a win win for me as well.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Grizzzzz.......
You emphatically state that you don't need to talk about rates, yet, every paragraph above mentions rates?? As for Carrier Love, I see 4 types on here

Big carrier, L1 for example, the O/O is like a wife, married to the carrier

Small carrier, CRE, not married but more like the "other woman" that gets the trinkets left over from the wife

multi carrier, which I consider woman that sleeps around allowing all the men to enjoy her fruits without building a relationship.

Then, of course, yellow box trucks & 15 year old sprinters. Of course we know they will swallow any loads.

But, I get your point about cheerleading. As I said, I copy and paste from my personal FB page, which is seen by my friends, all 22 of them! I will take more time to write just to EO.

I am guessing your no.4 type is similar to this picture posted by a Prominant EO member on FB .(yes I borrowed it ) .FB_IMG_1555437530775.jpeg

...$$$$