Anyone Know?

touble

Seasoned Expediter
After reading the post from DNT, does anyone have a idea of how many good O/O and Fleet Owners have called it quits. Times are Very Hard and I see fewer expediters on the road.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper

This link say that there were 15,000 trucking jobs lost. I don't think that they take in accout the O/O that have a single truck into account. But it is not pretty. Hang on to your britches. Enough of them go rates will get better. And then we can make a profit again. I'm glad our truck is paid for.

DougTravels

Not a Member
After reading the post from DNT, does anyone have a idea of how many good O/O and Fleet Owners have called it quits. Times are Very Hard and I see fewer expediters on the road.

The answer is quite simply, too many and not enough. I just took one giant step toward calling it quits myself.
I thought finally it was starting to get a little better, booked 1 decent week then this week was going even better. I got booked on a little load going to Georgetown KY last night. On my way to PU my fan clutches went out and sent the blade into the radiator. With the tow bill, an AC recharge,oil chg (might as well, waiting 4 parts anyway) new radiator ($1300) the fan and clutch assembly($680) and labor about $3200 total.
Oh well just down in the dumps today, if it gets fixed by tomorrow and I get a load all will be well,:( eh.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The answer is quite simply, too many and not enough. I just took one giant step toward calling it quits myself.
I thought finally it was starting to get a little better, booked 1 decent week then this week was going even better. I got booked on a little load going to Georgetown KY last night. On my way to PU my fan clutches went out and sent the blade into the radiator. With the tow bill, an AC recharge,oil chg (might as well, waiting 4 parts anyway) new radiator ($1300) the fan and clutch assembly($680) and labor about $3200 total.
Oh well just down in the dumps today, if it gets fixed by tomorrow and I get a load all will be well,:( eh.
:( One step up and two steps back. Sorry to hear that, hope you get back rolling again as soon as possible.

touble

Seasoned Expediter
Doug that is a rough one to handle in good times and really tough now. Hope you get as many miles as needed to cover your loss, plus a whole lot more!

DougTravels

Not a Member
Thanks guys, I feel better tonite at this time than last night. Sitting on hwy 50 about 10 miles west of Flora Il , my nextel with no service, my T-mobile with one bar, cows starring at me and my truck steaming.
Used streets and trips to find a towing co. The wrecker driver brought me to a shop he said was honest. I called my GM dealer back home to check the price on parts and it seems like a fair shake anyway. Looks like he will make about 600 over parts. They pushed me (well my truck hehe) out of the shop till morning, the counter guy will be up in Effingham tomorrow morning at 9 ctr to get the parts, maybe I will be ready to go by noon ctr.
I still can't believe over 600 bucks for a fan and clutch assembly! The fan part is like 160 of it and it is just plastic. Not even talking about close to $1300 for a radiator.
At least there is some wifi out here in front of this shop in Salem, IL.

Last edited:

wellarmed

Not a Member
Thanks guys, I fell better tonite at this time than last night. Sitting on hwy 50 about 10 miles west of Flora Il , my nextel with no service, my T-mobile with one bar, cows starring at me and my truck steaming.
Used streets and trips to find a towing co. The wrecker driver brought me to a shop he said was honest. I called my GM dealer back home to check the price on parts and it seems like a fair shake anyway. Looks like he will make about 600 over parts. They pushed me (well my truck hehe) out of the shop till morning, the counter guy will be up in Effingham tomorrow morning at 9 ctr to get the parts, maybe I will be ready to go by noon ctr.
I still can't believe over 600 bucks for a fan and clutch assembly! The fan part is like 160 of it and it is just plastic. Not even talking about close to $1300 for a radiator.
At least there is some wifi out here in front of this shop in Salem, IL.

It could have been worse,you could have been broke down on US 95 in Nevada in front of the Shady Lady or one of the other chicken ranches along that barren strech of road. Just you a broken truck and several scantily clad women in the middle of the desert,sounds like as the dougtravels "THE BIG ADVENTURE" LOL ROFL :D But seriously,sorry for your bad luck at such a bad time,hope every thing works out.

DougTravels

Not a Member
It could have been worse,you could have been broke down on US 95 in Nevada in front of the Shady Lady or one of the other chicken ranches along that barren strech of road. Just you a broken truck and several scantily clad women in the middle of the desert,sounds like as the dougtravels "THE BIG ADVENTURE" LOL ROFL :D But seriously,sorry for your bad luck at such a bad time,hope every thing works out.

Hey I needed to get my truck pulled not my ... well you know, anyway thks 4 the laugh wellarmed-(but no so well handed):D

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
Hope you haven't been runnin' any $.80-$.90 loads lately, like some of these nuts have been. If so, that $3,200 bill will seem like a million dollars. :( hope you have a great week next week to help make it up.

miker

Seasoned Expediter

I feel for ya man, just had a bad situation in Tampa last weekend that ended up costing me about 3 grand as well, I'm just glad that the good lord put good people to work with in my life for that experience, because I could have easily paid twice that. Chin Up dude! what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger,or so I've heard, but for some reason I feel weaker by the day, and with all the unfortunate things that have come my way in the last 5 years I should be starring in the new Incredible Hulk series.:cool:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
**** Doug thats horrible i think hearing a 3200 bill is a sphincter moment for most of us the way the loads are going

DougTravels

Not a Member
You bet yer butt it could have been worse. Can you imagine what Doug would be saying now if Obama had lost? :eek:
I shudder. :p

I try to keep political talk in the soap box, I wouldn't blame any politician for my truck breaking down. Had Obama lost, I would be supporting OUR President just as now. I think as far Republicans McCain is a pretty good one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I try to keep political talk in the soap box...
I do, too.

But humor, I'll stick that pretty much anywhere. ;)

You thought my comment was political? Really?

Let's learn about chain saws, Mr Bill.

Oooooh, noooooo!