Anyone know why blower motor speed on 2006 Sprinter rises and falls?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2006 Mecedes Sprinter and the heater blower motor speed rises and falls constantly. It works on all speeds but the motor speed will rise and fall all the time
Any one know what would cause that and how to fix it? Thanks.:confused:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The blower motor is in front of the cabin air filter and so is in an unfiltered airstream and is subject to whatever dirt, dust, and debris comes in.

There are two bearings in the motor - oilite bushings I think - that may be dry (introducing drag) .... lubing one of them (WD-40) is possible ... but the other one IIRC is inaccessible/hard to get to ....

I was able to get my original to go nearly 300K by periodically blowing it out with an airgun and lubing the bearings (marvel mystery oil and/or WD-40)

Ultimately, the brushes do wear out and the motor will have to be replaced.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, rising and lowering speeds is generally the last breaths of life for it. I'd definitely pull it and clean it out best you can, lubricate it as best you can, and you might get a few more weeks or months out of it. The key to longer life is the periodic cleaning and lubricating. Fortunately, it's a really easy pull to clean and/or replace. 3 screws and an electrical connector. New blower motor is about $185 most anywhere, but it's $136 Motors & Pumps - VW TDI Parts - IDParts.com here, made by Valeo, the OEM, and ever comes with new connection harness and screws, which is kinda kewl.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
The blower motor is in front of the cabin air filter and so is in an unfiltered airstream and is subject to whatever dirt, dust, and debris comes in.

There are two bearings in the motor - oilite bushings I think - that may be dry (introducing drag) .... lubing one of them (WD-40) is possible ... but the other one IIRC is inaccessible/hard to get to ....

I was able to get my original to go nearly 300K by periodically blowing it out with an airgun and lubing the bearings (marvel mystery oil and/or WD-40)

Ultimately, the brushes do wear out and the motor will have to be replaced.

Thanks so much for the valuable information!

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, MR. Turtle! I really do appreciate the information. I am fairly handy and I think I can do that! I'm sure you guys saved me much needed money!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2006 Mecedes Sprinter and the heater blower motor speed rises and falls constantly. It works on all speeds but the motor speed will rise and fall all the time
Any one know what would cause that and how to fix it? Thanks.:confused:

Mine did that once. I changed out the cabin filter, and it has been working ever since. In fact when that last filter was due to be changed, I threw it out and made one for the intake. I used a household filter, cut the plastic grid to fit the intake plastic wire tied that in place, cut the filter to match, cut window screen to match, I removed the gasket and placed the screen over the hole and re installed the gasket, then just trimmed the screen. I take it out every other oil change and clean it, filter and screen. I have a new cabin filter I’ve been carrying around for a few years, might put it in just so I can throw it out later.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I change my cabin filter out pretty often. Every 3-4 months.